The Student Room Group

Cambridge August Reconsideration Pool 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by transient-jockey
I was wondering how they gain all the info for WP criteria. My son has been offered to apply for August reconsideration for Land Economy, after being pooled - it states they believe he fits the criteria due to fsm eligibility. However he doesn't currently receive fsm and hasn't since primary school.

Weselected 'don't know' on his Ucas application as the school provided him with text books that others had to pay for due to his pupil premium.

I'm wondering if his school would have submitted the info regarding his criteria, or whether us selecting don't know for fsm will be why its been detected. As it says proof would need to be submitted, and I wouldn't have any proof he's in receipt as he currently isn't.

Any advice gratefully received.

You basically need to be eligible for income support and on a household income of less than £16K.
Unless you're on benefits you're not eligible for free school meals. Go to gov.uk and check via your local council.
If you don't know they'll ask for proof - if you can't prove it you're not eligible
It's giving disadvantaged youngsters a chance. It's unfortunate they need to do the checks but regrettably some people will stoop that low.
Reply 21
Original post by Anonymous #3
You basically need to be eligible for income support and on a household income of less than £16K.
Unless you're on benefits you're not eligible for free school meals. Go to gov.uk and check via your local council.
If you don't know they'll ask for proof - if you can't prove it you're not eligible
It's giving disadvantaged youngsters a chance. It's unfortunate they need to do the checks but regrettably some people will stoop that low.

This is incorrect.There are other criteria that entitle you to FSM.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Scotney
This is incorrect.There are other criteria that entitle you to FSM.

There are but FSM is eligibility is quite specific, means tested and usually for those in receipt of means-tested benefits eg Free school meals | Westminster City Council My point is the pool is for WP candidates - I know someone who tried to claim they were WP previously and they got found out - hence I'd be very wary of claiming you might possibly be eligible. It's easy to find out (just check criteria online/ contact local council/ school) and Cambridge will check/ask for proof. Otherwise everyone could claim they are WP, if no proof required, and those who are genuinely are miss out.
When are we typically emailed to provide proof of FSM or anything else.
I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for FSM, but I don't know. ( I ticked 'not sure' or 'prefer not to say' on the application form)
In the eligibility criteria, I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) I meet 3/5 flags of criteria A, in which case I assume I don't need to provide proof of anything, and I still meet the eligibility criteria.

This will be quite misleading if they have stated in their email that I am eligible for the ARP, but then turn around and say I am not.
Original post by Anonymous #2
When are we typically emailed to provide proof of FSM or anything else.
I'm pretty sure I don't qualify for FSM, but I don't know. ( I ticked 'not sure' or 'prefer not to say' on the application form)
In the eligibility criteria, I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) I meet 3/5 flags of criteria A, in which case I assume I don't need to provide proof of anything, and I still meet the eligibility criteria.

This will be quite misleading if they have stated in their email that I am eligible for the ARP, but then turn around and say I am not.

Yeah I’ve thought this. I honestly don’t fit any of the criteria so I don’t know what evidence I would even provide. But they’ve stated to me I’m eligible, so I don’t know what they’re basing their evidence on and it would be a bit cruel for them to then retract what they said??
If you want to know why you may be eligible you can either dig into the data that Cambridge use - detailed here: Eligibility criteria for the August Reconsideration Pool | Undergraduate Study (cam.ac.uk) or you can email [email protected] as they will have completed the assessment so can confirm why you are eligible. They can also advise on any evidence required.
To be realistic though - the chances of getting in on reconsideration are very very slim. For example, I'm eligible for Maths. But in 2022 123 applicants were eligible for maths reconsideration August Reconsideration Pool - a Freedom of Information request to University of Cambridge - WhatDoTheyKnow and 17 offers were made to these so a 13% chance Application statistics | Undergraduate Study (cam.ac.uk) I appreciate not all may get the grades etc but neither may I....
You're also competing with all eligible applicants for any college place - so they'll look at the grades achieved, any submitted work/entry test results, and your original interview score. Basically, they'll pick the strongest/best. So I'm treating it a bit like buying a lottery ticket - I'll apply if I smash my grades and if my course is up for reconsideration but I'm also going to now move on and firm/insure my other offers as realistically I know I'm likely to go to these unis, rather than Cambridge, grades permitting.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
A space for any student who has been told they meet adjustment criteria at Cambridge after a unsuccessful initial application to discuss the August reconsideration pool (sometimes know as Adjustment). :heart:

You should have been told if you are eligible for the reconsideration pool, but you can check the criteria here.

Hello I’ve reviewed the criteria but how does one determine if they meet the following. Is there a way to check post codes?
We were not told we meet the criteria but I think we do.

Indices of Multiple Deprivation (IMD)

Output Area Classification (OAC2011)

Participation of Local Areas (POLAR)

If you want to know why you may be eligible you can either dig into the data that Cambridge use - detailed here: Eligibility criteria for the August Reconsideration Pool | Undergraduate Study (cam.ac.uk) or you can email [email protected] as they will have completed the assessment so can confirm why you are eligible. They can also advise on any evidence required.
To be realistic though - the chances of getting in on reconsideration are very very slim. For example, I'm eligible for Maths. But in 2022 123 applicants were eligible for maths reconsideration August Reconsideration Pool - a Freedom of Information request to University of Cambridge - WhatDoTheyKnow and 17 offers were made to these so a 13% chance Application statistics | Undergraduate Study (cam.ac.uk) I appreciate not all may get the grades etc but neither may I....
You're also competing with all eligible applicants for any college place - so they'll look at the grades achieved, any submitted work/entry test results, and your original interview score. Basically, they'll pick the strongest/best. So I'm treating it a bit like buying a lottery ticket - I'll apply if I smash my grades and if my course is up for reconsideration but I'm also going to now move on and firm/insure my other offers as realistically I know I'm likely to go to these unis, rather than Cambridge, grades permitting.

Yeah I’ll definitely apply if I get my predicted 4A*s but even then I’d be against like 300 other law applicants so it’s wildly unlikely id even be considered. best just to focus on my firm and move on.
Original post by BoyGirlMom
Hello I’ve reviewed the criteria but how does one determine if they meet the following. Is there a way to check post codes?
We were not told we meet the criteria but I think we do.

Indices of Multiple Deprivation (IMD)

Output Area Classification (OAC2011)

Participation of Local Areas (POLAR)

I don't know off the top of my head but it's worth having a google e.g. for POLAR the OfS has a checker: https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/data-and-analysis/young-participation-by-area/search-by-postcode/
Reply 29
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Yes, this is almost certainly true given the criteria this year look reasonably broad I could imagine quite a lot of applicants becoming eligible for the pool, and afaik everyone who meets the criteria should be invited to apply through it. That means that, not to put too fine a point on it, putting aside the limitation of places based on who's missed their offers, there may be some people who they don't necessarily want to admit despite them getting the grades, based on interview performance or whatever.

Is everybody who gets rejected after interview but meets the widening participation criteria eligible for the pool?
Would they allow somebody who did terribly in their interview to apply or is it only offered to high-ranking widening participation applicants?
I think how you scored in original interview does play a part
"If you’re eligible, your application will be considered by the Cambridge Colleges alongside the other applications that we receive. As it will be a competitive process, your final grades and your performance in the original application process will be important"
So if you got pooled originally you probably had a better score than someone who didn't. This may give you a higher chance of being picked up. Will also depend on final grades but if those things are equal your original interview score may make a difference.
Btw - anyone applying who isn't on the reconsideration list will
Be rejected as criteria to be on same is quite strict as it's for WP (widening participation) candidates only, if not on list you'd need to reapply through normal process next year.

I'm sorry for asking if you don't know the details of pooling, but if you do have any idea, what sort of info would colleges be able to access about your interview performance? Is it just the scores, or any information and feedback the interviewers wrote down about your performance (if they even do that)? I'm eligible for the August pool and was pooled in January (unsuccessfully of course) but it's just that I said some generally embarrassing, dumb things in my interview and regret a lot of answers I gave. I'm hoping against hope that colleges won't have much info on what I said, but that seems unlikely.
Original post by m_040106
Is everybody who gets rejected after interview but meets the widening participation criteria eligible for the pool?
Would they allow somebody who did terribly in their interview to apply or is it only offered to high-ranking widening participation applicants?

I don't know this for sure but to my knowledge it's all rejects. (Clearly if your interview was awful, your chances of getting fished out of the pool, even with the typical offer grades, are unlikely to be high.)
Original post by Anonymous #5
I'm sorry for asking if you don't know the details of pooling, but if you do have any idea, what sort of info would colleges be able to access about your interview performance? Is it just the scores, or any information and feedback the interviewers wrote down about your performance (if they even do that)? I'm eligible for the August pool and was pooled in January (unsuccessfully of course) but it's just that I said some generally embarrassing, dumb things in my interview and regret a lot of answers I gave. I'm hoping against hope that colleges won't have much info on what I said, but that seems unlikely.

I have no inside knowledge - other than what I've sourced from Cambridge website and FOI requests.
However, if you've been winter pooled you're considered strong enough for Cambridge - so that's a positive.
It maybe they have their interview notes on your file - this is probably accessible via a feedback or SAR (subject access request).whatever they share with you I guess would be shared with other colleges in reconsideration.
I think if you have the option of reconsideration, and you achieve your grades; and your course is available (lots of ands...) why not just take a punt.
Not many have the chance to be reconsidered so why wouldn't you? But realistically I'd invest more in your new firm and insurance as chances are slim with so many variables. Best of luck.
I have no inside knowledge - other than what I've sourced from Cambridge website and FOI requests.
However, if you've been winter pooled you're considered strong enough for Cambridge - so that's a positive.
It maybe they have their interview notes on your file - this is probably accessible via a feedback or SAR (subject access request).whatever they share with you I guess would be shared with other colleges in reconsideration.
I think if you have the option of reconsideration, and you achieve your grades; and your course is available (lots of ands...) why not just take a punt.
Not many have the chance to be reconsidered so why wouldn't you? But realistically I'd invest more in your new firm and insurance as chances are slim with so many variables. Best of luck.

That's okay! I figured the details of the process are pretty obscure. I also figured they would see whatever is on my feedback form too when I get it, which I am dreading to see. Honestly was hoping that wasn't going to be the case because I accidentally ran my mouth and, at least from how I remember it, gave off a bad impression (social class and my area came up in my interview and halfway through my very panicked answer, I got the feeling that I seemed like I was begging for a pity place for coming from a broke school... mortifying).
Anyways, chances of getting through in August are definitely slim but I'll still apply! I just won't mention it to anyone in my life who doesn't somehow find out on their own, because I don't want the added pressure of another chance when it's hardly likely at all.
Does anyone know if your chances of being accepted through the pool are lower if you go to a private school but still meet the criteria? Was just wondering as I have a bursary to my school so hope that the fact that it's private doesn't negatively impact my chances.
would there be a point in reapplying if i didn't get into the winter pool originally?
Original post by amt202
would there be a point in reapplying if i didn't get pooled in the winter?

I don't see why not you don't know why you weren't pooled (unless you request feedback, I guess). It may well have been concern about your ability to achieve the grades required, so if you've gone and achieved them in August, that concern has been allayed.
Original post by Anonymous #6
Does anyone know if your chances of being accepted through the pool are lower if you go to a private school but still meet the criteria? Was just wondering as I have a bursary to my school so hope that the fact that it's private doesn't negatively impact my chances.

i don't think they rank by number of WP indicators you have - if you're eligible for reconsideration, your're eligible. However there are some press releases from Cambridge where they've done articles with successful summer adjustment students and they seem to have multiple WP criteria so although it shouldn't matter whether the colleges will note that during adjustment considerations I don't know...it's all a bit opaque.
Does anyone know if the FOI stats for reconsideration seperate the offer holder summer pool eg those who didn't quite make the grades or mark and the reconsideration or WP pool?
I've just realised their are 2 pools considered side by side in the summer - 1 for offer holders who didn't quite make the grade : they have first consideration to see if original or any other college want them and then, if not, the reconsideration pool for WP applicants.
I'm eligible for WP maths and thought they picked up a decent number in reconsideration - however maths applicants have to do the STEP entry exams in June. If offerholders don't get 1, 1 (in both exams) the DoS will review each exam script in the offer holder summer pool and maybe make an offer of just under eg just 1 STEP 1 grade or similar. . Or another college May pick them up. So these offerholders get placed in the offer holder summer pool temporarily but the majority seem to be picked back up by same or different college.
As WP I though would have to get minimum of 1, 1 in both STEP exams to even be considered for any remaining infilled places - of which it appears there may not be any as the offerholders will often have the STEP ask lowered to cushion their entry.
This then shows on the FOIS as say 16 from summer pool but usually all are existing offer holder - .it doesnt show what if any got picked up from reconsideration or WP pool.
I guess I'll need to do an FOI to determine the actual number of WP getting picked up in adjustment and the % of maths offer holders who are let in with lower STEP than WP applicants.
Feels a bit unfair but I guess if they want you, they want you.
Original post by Anonymous #7
would there be a point in reapplying if i didn't get into the winter pool originally?

Previously people have got in who weren't pooled however I would request your interview feedback. I didn't gel with first interviewers and if they've but something negative about me the reconsideration panel will see that. They'll also see my interview score which if v low eg not a good fit for Cambridge will probably rule me out completely.
. If I'm up against someone with higher score and positive feedback who they thought was better fit then realistically they're more likely to get chosen. It's a subjective process. Yes people who weren't pooled were picked up previously but also people with 4 x A* weren't so I think a lot comes down to what's on your file/ interview performance and a bit of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending