The Student Room Group

Cambridge August Reconsideration Pool 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous #3
Does anyone know if the FOI stats for reconsideration seperate the offer holder summer pool eg those who didn't quite make the grades or mark and the reconsideration or WP pool?
I've just realised their are 2 pools considered side by side in the summer - 1 for offer holders who didn't quite make the grade : they have first consideration to see if original or any other college want them and then, if not, the reconsideration pool for WP applicants.
I'm eligible for WP maths and thought they picked up a decent number in reconsideration - however maths applicants have to do the STEP entry exams in June. If offerholders don't get 1, 1 (in both exams) the DoS will review each exam script in the offer holder summer pool and maybe make an offer of just under eg just 1 STEP 1 grade or similar. . Or another college May pick them up. So these offerholders get placed in the offer holder summer pool temporarily but the majority seem to be picked back up by same or different college.
As WP I though would have to get minimum of 1, 1 in both STEP exams to even be considered for any remaining infilled places - of which it appears there may not be any as the offerholders will often have the STEP ask lowered to cushion their entry.
This then shows on the FOIS as say 16 from summer pool but usually all are existing offer holder - .it doesnt show what if any got picked up from reconsideration or WP pool.
I guess I'll need to do an FOI to determine the actual number of WP getting picked up in adjustment and the % of maths offer holders who are let in with lower STEP than WP applicants.
Feels a bit unfair but I guess if they want you, they want you.

In 2022 84 WP were accepted in total including Maths.The numbers since 2019 have increased year on year but I have not been able to locate numbers for 2023.We did have a number of known Tsr posters who got offers.i.e from applicants thread.
I agree WP pool gets a poor deal and despite knowing a lot about this process I am not a fan.I think Oxford manage this better by factoring in contextual elements into the main system so if you get an offer it comes out with everyone else's even if it means you take part in a bridging course for a few weeks in summer to get you up to speed.But we have to work with things as is for the moment
Advice remains move on and pick a firm and insurance you are happy with and in August consider if you want to enter the lottery that is the Reconsideration Group!
A punt rather than a sure bet!
Reply 41
i don't think they rank by number of WP indicators you have - if you're eligible for reconsideration, your're eligible. However there are some press releases from Cambridge where they've done articles with successful summer adjustment students and they seem to have multiple WP criteria so although it shouldn't matter whether the colleges will note that during adjustment considerations I don't know...it's all a bit opaque.

They will always run the most deprived stories to make themselves look better!
Reply 42
Original post by Anonymous #2
What are my chances of being accepted through the ARP, if I was not put in the winter pool?
(for medicine)

How do you know you were not winter pooled. Do they mention
Reply 43
Hi, I want to know if I apply for the ARP will my firm and insurance offers get effected.
Reply 44
Original post by Az83
Hi, I want to know if I apply for the ARP will my firm and insurance offers get effected.

No it will not have any effect whatsoever on your firm or insurance.If you were offered a ARP place you would have the weekend to decide but still would not reject your firm until Cambridge make you an offer in writing and they will tell you what to do re UCAS.
Original post by Az83
How do you know you were not winter pooled. Do they mention

It would have said in ur email basically about putting you into the collegiate pool!
Reply 46
Original post by Anonymous #4
It would have said in ur email basically about putting you into the collegiate pool!

I have been given the option for the ARP but have not mentioned whether my application was on The winter pool
Original post by Az83
I have been given the option for the ARP but have not mentioned whether my application was on The winter pool

Mine is the same. If it doesn’t mention anything about the inter-collegiate pool + their “confidence in your abilities” then im pretty sure you’ve not been winter pooled
Would those in the August Consideration be in the same pool competing against those who miss their offers?
Original post by ThomasAJWarren
Would those in the August Consideration be in the same pool competing against those who miss their offers?

Found this from an earlier year that may be helpful - think it was a rep from Peterhouse Admissions who used to be a regular on TSR but I think they've changed job/role; hopefully still relevant:
"All results are considered on an individual basis. Some applicants we will reprieve before Results Day if they have narrowly missed their offer, or done well overall but missed their specific conditions. Some are put in the Summer Pool and considered alongside those who are eligible for the August Reconsideration Pool (although it is clear who is in which Pool) and considered there. This is especially the case if they have missed the offer their college set them but have met the typical offer for their course. If a college has some spaces left in a particular subject because some of their offer holders missed their offers and they do not wish to reprieve them, then they will look in the Summer and the August Reconsideration Pools. These take place the day after Results Day, so we know by then who wishes to be considered for the August Reconsideration Pool.All applications through Adjustment are assessed on their own merits. Doing well in your A Levels will help, as will having performed strongly earlier in the application process. That doesn't mean that if you get 4A*s you're guaranteed a place via Adjustment or that if you only meet the typical offer for your course (rather than exceeding it), you won't get a place. Nor does it mean that those who were not pooled are less likely to be successful. We consider all applications holistically again at this point, taking into consideration both your achieved results and how you performed during the application process...each Admissions Tutor and Director of Studies will consider the applicants before them slightly differently because they may places different values on different strengths and weaknesses."
Reply 50
Original post by Anonymous #4
Part of me dislikes being made aware of the august pool because it sort of just feels like another slither of false hope to keep in the back of my mind. Anyone else feel this way?

So many people feel this way and many decide to discard it completely because they don't want to be turned down twice or simply feel they simply want to move on.
As I have said many times I am no fan of this way of widening participation and do not think it is a particularly enlightened way of doing it so I totally sympathise with your sentiments.
I think it is a cruel way to treat disadvantaged students and can see it could put people off the Cambridge Establishment.
However this is the state of play and minute and you must do whatever makes you happier.
Not sure if my daughter can apply for this, she got put into the inter-collegiate winter pool by St Johns. Didn’t get picked up by another college though. Nothing on her email mentioned ARP? She’s from a state school in South Wales (not a very rich area), not on free school meals though.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
A space for any student who has been told they meet adjustment criteria at Cambridge after a unsuccessful initial application to discuss the August reconsideration pool (sometimes know as Adjustment). :heart:

You should have been told if you are eligible for the reconsideration pool, but you can check the criteria here.

I was told I was eligible in the rejection email but I'm not sure why I count as WP? I've never been on FSM, don't receive any sort of benefits, my household income is pretty good. I do go to a state school and we don't get LOTS of Oxbridge offers (2 this year), plus I think it's in somewhat of a bad area because some of my other offers are contextual. A lot of other students are on FSM, universal tax credit, other benefits, etc. I'm not gonna go emailing Cambridge to tell them I think I'm not eligible but is there any chance they got it wrong? I don't wanna apply on results day only to find out I don't count 😓
Original post by Anonymous
I was told I was eligible in the rejection email but I'm not sure why I count as WP? I've never been on FSM, don't receive any sort of benefits, my household income is pretty good. I do go to a state school and we don't get LOTS of Oxbridge offers (2 this year), plus I think it's in somewhat of a bad area because some of my other offers are contextual. A lot of other students are on FSM, universal tax credit, other benefits, etc. I'm not gonna go emailing Cambridge to tell them I think I'm not eligible but is there any chance they got it wrong? I don't wanna apply on results day only to find out I don't count 😓

Original post by ChrisEvans81
Not sure if my daughter can apply for this, she got put into the inter-collegiate winter pool by St Johns. Didn’t get picked up by another college though. Nothing on her email mentioned ARP? She’s from a state school in South Wales (not a very rich area), not on free school meals though.

There seem to be a lot of school-based rather than individual criteria on the list, to my surprise. All I can suggest is having a look through the criteria and trying to work out whether they fit!
Reply 54

Do they send many to Oxbridge and are you on any benefits plus is your post code deemed deprived?
Original post by Scotney
Do they send many to Oxbridge and are you on any benefits plus is your post code deemed deprived?

No not on benefits, no idea if my post code is deprived, In our ‘area’ we are definitely not, UK wide though I’m not so sure. It’s just a bitter pill to swallow (being good enough for pool and not getting picked up), it’s like your good enough but not if you know what I mean. It’s put take a gap year and try again in her head, she’s applying for Law though and it could well be the same result next year. See what the other four Uni’s say (heard nothing from any of them yet). Hopefully, she’ll get an offer from one or more, she’s picked all super competitive Uni’s though so maybe she’ll have to take a gap year 😂
Reply 56
No not on benefits, no idea if my post code is deprived, In our ‘area’ we are definitely not, UK wide though I’m not so sure. It’s just a bitter pill to swallow (being good enough for pool and not getting picked up), it’s like your good enough but not if you know what I mean. It’s put take a gap year and try again in her head, she’s applying for Law though and it could well be the same result next year. See what the other four Uni’s say (heard nothing from any of them yet). Hopefully, she’ll get an offer from one or more, she’s picked all super competitive Uni’s though so maybe she’ll have to take a gap year 😂

I think it is only worth taking a gap year if you do something productive or character building in the year, like travelling, so if you are rejected again, you don’t feel like it is a completely wasted year.

You see people posting on TSR that they got in on 2nd attempt, but sadly for every one of them there are several that fail and don’t post. I believe statistically the success rate for re applicants is lower than that for 1st time applicants.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by lalexm
I think it is only worth taking a gap year if you do something productive or character building in the year, like travelling, so if you are rejected again, you don’t feel like it is a completely wasted year.

You see people posting on TSR that they got in on 2nd attempt, but sadly for every one of them there are several that fail and don’t post. I believe statistically the success rate for re applicants is lower than that for 1st time applicants.

Taking a gap year always carries the risk you won’t apply to any Uni’s the following year too. She really wants LSE (the others she’s applied to are Bristol, Durham and KCL). I think a lot depends on what they say (can’t be much longer for decisions now 🤞). I’m assuming her LNAT score must be good enough, to get interviewed and pooled by Cambridge 🤷*♂️.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 58
Taking a gap year always carries the risk you won’t apply to any Uni’s the following year too. She really wants LSE (the others she’s applied to are Bristol, Durham and KCL). I think a lot depends on what they say (can’t be much longer for decisions now 🤞). I’m assuming her LNAT score must be good enough, to get interviewed and pooled by Cambridge 🤷*♂️.

I have to agree with laxelm,year after year we see people rejected again and one of our posters worked out only 4%of his cohort were reapplicants.Cambridge are masters at the false hope business.Interviewing so many,pooling so many and telling them about it,giving too many offers with very high grades and the ARP the worst of the lot.
I would very much advise fostering interest in offers from any of those fine unis attending offer days and focusing on the pros of those rather than reapplying.This is the approach we took with our son and he would have happily gone to his insurance which was proven when he missed his grades on offer day.Oxford took him anyway in the end but that is beside the point.
Reply 59
Found this from an earlier year that may be helpful - think it was a rep from Peterhouse Admissions who used to be a regular on TSR but I think they've changed job/role; hopefully still relevant:
"All results are considered on an individual basis. Some applicants we will reprieve before Results Day if they have narrowly missed their offer, or done well overall but missed their specific conditions. Some are put in the Summer Pool and considered alongside those who are eligible for the August Reconsideration Pool (although it is clear who is in which Pool) and considered there. This is especially the case if they have missed the offer their college set them but have met the typical offer for their course. If a college has some spaces left in a particular subject because some of their offer holders missed their offers and they do not wish to reprieve them, then they will look in the Summer and the August Reconsideration Pools. These take place the day after Results Day, so we know by then who wishes to be considered for the August Reconsideration Pool.All applications through Adjustment are assessed on their own merits. Doing well in your A Levels will help, as will having performed strongly earlier in the application process. That doesn't mean that if you get 4A*s you're guaranteed a place via Adjustment or that if you only meet the typical offer for your course (rather than exceeding it), you won't get a place. Nor does it mean that those who were not pooled are less likely to be successful. We consider all applications holistically again at this point, taking into consideration both your achieved results and how you performed during the application process...each Admissions Tutor and Director of Studies will consider the applicants before them slightly differently because they may places different values on different strengths and weaknesses."

Yes this does still hold true now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending