The Student Room Group

Cambridge August Reconsideration Pool 2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Scotney
I have to agree with laxelm,year after year we see people rejected again and one of our posters worked out only 4%of his cohort were reapplicants.Cambridge are masters at the false hope business.Interviewing so many,pooling so many and telling them about it,giving too many offers with very high grades and the ARP the worst of the lot.
I would very much advise fostering interest in offers from any of those fine unis attending offer days and focusing on the pros of those rather than reapplying.This is the approach we took with our son and he would have happily gone to his insurance which was proven when he missed his grades on offer day.Oxford took him anyway in the end but that is beside the point.

Yep I agree, if she gets one of her other four choices, I think she’ll accept. As I said before LSE has always been her top choice (yes even over Cambridge). For the record, I told her to go ‘up the road’ to Cardiff. I’m just dad though and she doesn’t listen to me 😂.
Reply 61
Original post by ChrisEvans81
Yep I agree, if she gets one of her other four choices, I think she’ll accept. As I said before LSE has always been her top choice (yes even over Cambridge). For the record, I told her to go ‘up the road’ to Cardiff. I’m just dad though and she doesn’t listen to me 😂.

Great, sounds like a good plan. Yep, whenever I tell my daughters anything they automatically push back, and like to tell me that I'm old and things have changed since the pre-historic days when I went to uni, but later I realise that more often than not they have taken my advice. Go figure. Maybe it's just a teenage thing. Best of luck with her other 4 choices.
Reply 62
Original post by ChrisEvans81
Taking a gap year always carries the risk you won’t apply to any Uni’s the following year too. She really wants LSE (the others she’s applied to are Bristol, Durham and KCL). I think a lot depends on what they say (can’t be much longer for decisions now 🤞). I’m assuming her LNAT score must be good enough, to get interviewed and pooled by Cambridge 🤷*♂️.

What were her GCSEs/predicted A-Levels and which Cambridge college did she apply to?
Reply 63
Original post by Anonymous #4
Yeah I’ve thought this. I honestly don’t fit any of the criteria so I don’t know what evidence I would even provide. But they’ve stated to me I’m eligible, so I don’t know what they’re basing their evidence on and it would be a bit cruel for them to then retract what they said??

me too, but i just used the POLAR4 thing and apparently my address is in quintile 2? not sure what that means, and my overall household income is 50k so im just very confused
Reply 64
Original post by vetmed023
me too, but i just used the POLAR4 thing and apparently my address is in quintile 2? not sure what that means, and my overall household income is 50k so im just very confused

What about your school ,does it send many pupils to Oxbridge?Does it perform well at GCSE and A level?
Original post by m_040106
What were her GCSEs/predicted A-Levels and which Cambridge college did she apply to?

She had 7 A stars and 4 A’s in her GCSE’s (we don’t do the number thing in Wales). She got 5 A’s in her AS exams (there is no A star in AS). She’s been predicted 3 A stars and 1 A for her A levels. She applied to St Johns
(edited 2 months ago)
Does anyone by a rare chance know the LNAT scores of those who got law offers from the August pool??
Reply 67
Original post by Anonymous #4
Does anyone by a rare chance know the LNAT scores of those who got law offers from the August pool??

I do not know the answer to this but to give you an idea 31 was average for Oxford offers but one person with 37 was not made an offer You can see graphs on Oxford Parents Association Thread.I imagine Cambridge would be similar .
Just to advise with FSM they do ask for proof, as this on its own is enough to get you in the reconsideration pool. Likewise if you tick that you've been in care. Otherwise unfortunatkey lots of people could tick FSM and it defeats whole purpose of reconsideration: which is about for widening participation - ie getting underrepresented students into Cambridge via any free spaces in august.
I think in June you'll need to provide a council letter to confirm your eligibility for FSM. FSM are means tested (often for those on benefits or v low income) - it's a standard process councils undertake for thousands of kids and you'll just need to provide proof of same. Speak to the council if you need them to assess your eligibility and provide proof.
With other criteria you need to hit 3 of the requirements. It takes a bit of digging but I was able to assess mine online - Cambridge can assess these directly based on details on your UCAS form eg home address postcode, school etc - they'll then check against the various criteria to see if you hit enough markers. I did so that's proof enough. However if I'd ticked FSM or In Care I'd need to provide evidence ie council letter or social worker letter etc.
I have a question about my circumstances and possible eligibility criteria.

Before the application process I would not have been eligible for reconsideration. However, during the application process (December), my circumstances changed drastically and since this point I believe I would now be eligible for FSM and therefore reconsideration. However, I am wondering if this is this still acceptable as I have not notified Cambridge of this change in circumstances and so did not get told I was eligible for ARP in the rejection email.

(For context I applied for maths and so I would have to sign up for STEP before August to get placed in the ARP).
Very sorry to hear about your change in circumstances and hope things improve soon..I think the only thing you can do is contact your college admissions dept and ask whether this would mean you are eligible.
The point of the scheme is to pick up people whose education may have been affected by some level of deprivation so I would guess that just depends on the fine print in your case.
I would be grateful if you could let me know either way of the outcome so I will know for next time.
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about people from past years who have made it through the ARP despite being from a private school? I only attend private school because of a scholarship but still qualify for the Pool, but was wondering if they tend to solely accept people from state schools
Reply 72
Original post by Anonymous #6
I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge about people from past years who have made it through the ARP despite being from a private school? I only attend private school because of a scholarship but still qualify for the Pool, but was wondering if they tend to solely accept people from state schools

Private or state makes no difference to any part of the Cambridge application process. They look at your grades in context of what students typically get at your school, but the type of school does not come into it, and quite rightly so, as some of the highest performing schools are grammars and other highly selective state schools.
Original post by lalexm
Private or state makes no difference to any part of the Cambridge application process. They look at your grades in context of what students typically get at your school, but the type of school does not come into it, and quite rightly so, as some of the highest performing schools are grammars and other highly selective state schools.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending