The Student Room Group

Independent student

Hello,

I’m 26, still living with parents and considering applying for university for the first time.

As I would be classed as an independent student for student finance with no dependents, children or partner, what evidence would I have to provide for income?

On the sample form it doesn’t say anything about someone in my circumstances needing to provide evidence of income and I wondered if this would be the case? They only seem to ask for unearned income, not earned income.

Just wondered if anyone knew as I’m trying to work out how to possibly afford studying.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by c2024
Hello,

I’m 26, still living with parents and considering applying for university for the first time.

As I would be classed as an independent student for student finance with no dependents, children or partner, what evidence would I have to provide for income?

On the sample form it doesn’t say anything about someone in my circumstances needing to provide evidence of income and I wondered if this would be the case? They only seem to ask for unearned income, not earned income.

Just wondered if anyone knew as I’m trying to work out how to possibly afford studying.

Hi there,

If you're over 25 then you'd be assessed as an independent student. It's only on your application you'd declare 'living with parents/at home' through the academic year to be assessed for the 'parental' maintenance loan rate. If you don't have any unearned income then you can disregard that section. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending