The Student Room Group

How necessary is a first in order to become a barrister?

Scroll to see replies

I agree with Crazy Jamie that you can obtain a pupillage and a tenancy without a First, but also agree with Katana and Jamie that, in practice, you are likely to need a First to get in at a magic circle chambers.

My nephew recently became a member of a good set with a mixed practice. He has a 2.1 in Classics from Oxford and a distinction in the GDL. A young friend is struggling to find a pupillage despite having an Oxford First in Modern History and an LLM from UCL. Another nephew recently got into one of the top activist chambers. His route was: Oxford First in Law, stellar BCL, teaching law at the LSE, advocacy work for a Trade Union.

The typical new entrant to a magic circle set has an Oxbridge First in any subject, possibly a postgraduate law degree, may have been a Kennedy or Fulbright Scholar, might be a Prize Fellow of All Souls and/or have won the Vinerian or the Eldon; and has also done things such as save the white rhino, get black people off death row in Alabama, and devise a workable peace plan for the Middle East. But never mind those people!

Bear in mind that it is now commonplace for barristers to move chambers (this used to be rare), and if you establish a good practice in a decent set you can maybe move to a higher ranked set after a few years.

Maybe get an LLM, and/or do a cool advocacy job for an NGO, and/or work as a case assessor on a legal redress project for an investment bank that's been mis-selling (again), and then apply for pupillage. Do a million FRU cases. Do this because it's worth it, not to polish your CV.

By way of background, I am a barrister with an international commercial litigation practice. I was a member of a magic circle set for many years. I then worked overseas for a while. I am now a member of a set of chambers which is well regarded but isn't magic circle.

I have a First in Modern History from Oxford, obtained many years ago. I did the GDL at what was then a Poly - yaaay! I spent most of the GDL year asleep or in the pub. The pass/fail standard was: can you write your own name? In those ancient times everyone got a Desmond in Bar Finals, and that's what I got (I came 28th in the year: the pass/fail standard was write your own name but not using crayons). Many of us treated the rather rubbishy Bar course at the old Inns of Court School of Law as a crammer, and I bunked off (in fact I was doing FRU cases non stop, or was in the pub) until the last six weeks. I learned how to do barristering through FRU, in my (excellent) pupillage with three very swanky barristers, and in my first years on the job.

Getting a pupillage now is super hard, but a Cambridge 2.1 in Law is a very good start. Good luck!
(edited 1 month ago)
All good advice. I spoke to a barrister recently who suggested starting at a law firm and then switching to Chambers after a few years. Do you see many people doing this?
Original post by katana10000
All good advice. I spoke to a barrister recently who suggested starting at a law firm and then switching to Chambers after a few years. Do you see many people doing this?

I do. That has been the standard path in Scotland for ages.

In England, maybe do a training contract at a magic or silver firm or cool boutique, then after about five to seven years as an Associate go to the Bar. With any luck, your old firm will be a keen client.

I have worked in law firms at Salaried Partner level. I think that every barrister should spend some time in a law firm.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by katana10000

I have seen a fair few people do this, though it's not all people who always wanted to be barrister and took a training contract as a fallback option. It's often solicitors who aren't satisfied in that role and/or fancy a change. I do find that some candidates underestimate both how long this route will take and where a solicitor needs to be professionally to transfer. Transferring isn't going to be as competitive as pupillage and while you're searching you have a secure job, so from that sense it's much lower risk, but equally sets will assess solicitors looking to transfer on the basis of different criteria. Your ability to bring in work is suddenly relevant (whereas for pupillage it's nearly always irrelevant). Also, the expectations as to your experience and abilities as a lawyer will be different. You will be expected to be more experienced and in many ways be more capable, albeit your advocacy experience may well be more limited than a barrister of equivalent experience. But there are those who think they can just work as a solicitor for a year or two and be welcomed into their set of choice, and that's not how it works. You need to not only show your ability but also show a business case for why a set should take you. You'll probably be able to transfer to a set somewhere, but it may not be one that's as highly ranked as you might like. Ultimately the key is that you need to take your development as a solicitor seriously and not fall into the trap of thinking that a few years' experience alone will give you a free pass to transferring. It is, in one sense, easier, but it's different and needs to be approached with those differences in mind.
Original post by Stiffy Byng
I agree with Crazy Jamie that you can obtain a pupillage and a tenancy without a First, but also agree with Katana and Jamie that, in practice, you are likely to need a First to get in at a magic circle chambers.

My nephew recently became a member of a good set with a mixed practice. He has a 2.1 in Classics from Oxford and a distinction in the GDL. A young friend is struggling to find a pupillage despite having an Oxford First in Modern History and an LLM from UCL. Another nephew recently got into one of the top activist chambers. His route was: Oxford First in Law, stellar BCL, teaching law at the LSE, advocacy work for a Trade Union.

The typical new entrant to a magic circle set has an Oxbridge First in any subject, possibly a postgraduate law degree, may have been a Kennedy or Fulbright Scholar, might be a Prize Fellow of All Souls and/or have won the Vinerian or the Eldon; and has also done things such as save the white rhino, get black people off death row in Alabama, and devise a workable peace plan for the Middle East. But never mind those people!

Bear in mind that it is now commonplace for barristers to move chambers (this used to be rare), and if you establish a good practice in a decent set you can maybe move to a higher ranked set after a few years.

Maybe get an LLM, and/or do a cool advocacy job for an NGO, and/or work as a case assessor on a legal redress project for an investment bank that's been mis-selling (again), and then apply for pupillage. Do a million FRU cases. Do this because it's worth it, not to polish your CV.

By way of background, I am a barrister with an international commercial litigation practice. I was a member of a magic circle set for many years. I then worked overseas for a while. I am now a member of a set of chambers which is well regarded but isn't magic circle.

I have a First in Modern History from Oxford, obtained many years ago. I did the GDL at what was then a Poly - yaaay! I spent most of the GDL year asleep or in the pub. The pass/fail standard was: can you write your own name? In those ancient times everyone got a Desmond in Bar Finals, and that's what I got (I came 28th in the year: the pass/fail standard was write your own name but not using crayons). Many of us treated the rather rubbishy Bar course at the old Inns of Court School of Law as a crammer, and I bunked off (in fact I was doing FRU cases non stop, or was in the pub) until the last six weeks. I learned how to do barristering through FRU, in my (excellent) pupillage with three very swanky barristers, and in my first years on the job.

Getting a pupillage now is super hard, but a Cambridge 2.1 in Law is a very good start. Good luck!

This is a great post. Really helpful to have someone giving advice in this forum who has a commercial practice and has experience at a top tier set. As much as I do my best, I don't and have never had that sort of practice, nor have I ever practised in London, so there are limitations to my advice in that regard. Always keen to have others contribute who can fill some of those gaps.
Thank you for your kind words, and thanks for all that you do here to demystify the process of becoming a barrister.

You are right about the challenges in transferring from a law firm to chambers, and especially the need to show a business case for being taken on. My post on this above made the change sound too easy.
It depends significantly on the practice area/type of set you apply for. It will definitely put you at a disadvantage in commercial / commercial-adjacent sets (i.e. ones where virtually all the barristers have high Oxbridge firsts), but even then that disadvantage can be overcome or off-set by other factors.

I also graduated from Cambridge with a high 2.1 (though it was non-law) and I start pupillage at a commercial set in October. To be honest, I think my degree was a significant factor in whether I got through the paper-sift at some sets - none of the most elite sets gave me an interview. But almost all the sets in what I considered to be the next tier down (still doing commercial work) did interview me, and I hadn't even maxed out ways of improving my CV to off-set the 2.1 e.g. I didn't have a masters or significant mooting experience.
Original post by charliedb3
Hi all, I graduated from Cambridge with a high 2.1 in law in June. I would like to work as a barrister, but looking at the CVs of barristers in London chambers they all seem to have Oxbridge firsts. Is it simply unrealistic to expect to be able to become a barrister with a 2.1?

Is it just London chambers you wish to work in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending