The Student Room Group

LNAT

When should i start practising, (ik it’s an aptitude test but i stil want to practise) im really worried because im not good at these type of things…will they be a big factor especially if i want to apply to Bristol..? Also im in year 12
(edited 2 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rabiiii379
When should i start practising, (ik it’s an aptitude test but i stil want to practise) im really worried because im not good at these type of things…will they be a big factor especially if i want to apply to Bristol..? Also im in year 12

at the very end of y12 and the summer.
I just practiced over summer and I sat mine in September of year 13
Reply 3
Original post by Username123ab
I just practiced over summer and I sat mine in September of year 13

Was it hard? How important is it- if you fail it could it be the reason why you didnt get in the uni u wanted to?
Reply 4
Was it hard? How important is it- if you fail it could it be the reason why you didnt get in the uni u wanted to?

I started practising from July and sat the exam in early October. I used Arbitio which was very difficult so the real thing wasn't too bad. I managed to get all my offers back but I still don't know what my score is.

it’s obviously not an easy test but it’s not DREADFUL (found the real exam a lot easier than arbitio also). The importance all depends on the unis really and how heavily they value it
Reply 6
Original post by fsolanke17
I started practising from July and sat the exam in early October. I used Arbitio which was very difficult so the real thing wasn't too bad. I managed to get all my offers back but I still don't know what my score is.

Ok thank you
Reply 7
Original post by user111788
it’s obviously not an easy test but it’s not DREADFUL (found the real exam a lot easier than arbitio also). The importance all depends on the unis really and how heavily they value it

Im so bad at aptitude tests no matter what so Idk if i should apply to unis that dont have the lNAT test?
Hi, i was jw if anyone is in a similar position, i, on the advice of a teacher applied to both scot’s and common, and have found out u shouldn’t, does anyone have any clue what could happen? really panicking ☺️
Reply 9
Im so bad at aptitude tests no matter what so Idk if i should apply to unis that dont have the lNAT test?
There are obviously lots of factors that go into deciding what unis to apply to, if you are this worried about the LNAT there are plenty of other unis that don't take it into consideration such as Warwick and York so when you pick your 5 choices you might want to include a mix of those that require it and those that don't.
Reply 10
To be safe, start practising around a month prior. Do practice questions and practice the essay structure. I'd say that time management is one of the most important factors in success in the LNAT, so make sure you're used to the time constraints... A riskier approach if you find that you're very busy around the time, or (like me) you procrastinate a lot, is to start preparing, say, 2 weeks in advance, and go over the essay structure a few days before the exam. I managed to get a score of 28 with roughly 2 weeks of revision, I kid you not when I say I did not fully complete a single practice paper as I would get distracted like halfway through : ') Needless to say, do not do what I did lmao. Finally, people are going to tell you to purchase expensive revision resources online, but I'd argue that while it is useful, it's not necessary if you want to do well. I have a friend who would spend hours on Arbitio but still scored relatively low on the real thing. I hope this is useful to you, and good luck when you take it in the future 🙂

The test itself
When you start practicing should depend on how much work you'll need to do to get a score that gives you a good chance at getting offers (you should aim for 26/42 at the minimum). The best way to approach this is to take a practice test at the beginning of your summer holidays and if you're quite a way off that, then it willl help to start practicing from the beginning of the holidays. If you're scoring between 23-26, then starting mid way through the holidays should be fine. If you're getting 27+ then you won't need to start practicing until the end of the holidays. This advice is all if you're planning on taking the test before the early Oxbridge UCAS deadline (October). If you're not going to take the test until Jan in time for the regular UCAS deadline, then regardless of your score you don't really need to practice until the end of the summer holidays, although it might help to get some practice out of the way while you're free as year 13 will likely be busy.

Choosing universities
You should apply to a mix of LNAT and non-LNAT universities, especially as you won't get your score back before you submit your UCAS application. If you're getting 24 or below (on accurate LNAT practice tests, not Arbitio which is made to be harder) by the end of your LNAT practice, then applying to one or two LNAT universities would make sense. If you're getting 25/26, two or three LNAT universities would be fine. Even if you're getting a score of 27+ on practice tests, I wouldn't recommend applying to 5 LNAT universities as you never know what could go wrong on the actual test day. For someone consistently scoring 27+ on practice tests, 4 LNAT universities at the very most, but 3 if you want to play it safe.

Also, to answer your previous question, the LNAT is quite important. A large portion of applicants at all the LNAT universities will also have great grades and a strong personal statement. Therefore, getting a bad score won't completely rule you out (especially if you have extenuating factors or are a contextual applicant) but it will significantly lower your chances of getting an offer. Lastly, don't forget to practice for the LNAT essay as well, as this is often just as important as your test score.
Original post by Dele2412
To be safe, start practising around a month prior. Do practice questions and practice the essay structure. I'd say that time management is one of the most important factors in success in the LNAT, so make sure you're used to the time constraints... A riskier approach if you find that you're very busy around the time, or (like me) you procrastinate a lot, is to start preparing, say, 2 weeks in advance, and go over the essay structure a few days before the exam. I managed to get a score of 28 with roughly 2 weeks of revision, I kid you not when I say I did not fully complete a single practice paper as I would get distracted like halfway through : ') Needless to say, do not do what I did lmao. Finally, people are going to tell you to purchase expensive revision resources online, but I'd argue that while it is useful, it's not necessary if you want to do well. I have a friend who would spend hours on Arbitio but still scored relatively low on the real thing. I hope this is useful to you, and good luck when you take it in the future 🙂
Thankkk you so much :smile:))
Original post by poppy2022
The test itself
When you start practicing should depend on how much work you'll need to do to get a score that gives you a good chance at getting offers (you should aim for 26/42 at the minimum). The best way to approach this is to take a practice test at the beginning of your summer holidays and if you're quite a way off that, then it willl help to start practicing from the beginning of the holidays. If you're scoring between 23-26, then starting mid way through the holidays should be fine. If you're getting 27+ then you won't need to start practicing until the end of the holidays. This advice is all if you're planning on taking the test before the early Oxbridge UCAS deadline (October). If you're not going to take the test until Jan in time for the regular UCAS deadline, then regardless of your score you don't really need to practice until the end of the summer holidays, although it might help to get some practice out of the way while you're free as year 13 will likely be busy.

Choosing universities
You should apply to a mix of LNAT and non-LNAT universities, especially as you won't get your score back before you submit your UCAS application. If you're getting 24 or below (on accurate LNAT practice tests, not Arbitio which is made to be harder) by the end of your LNAT practice, then applying to one or two LNAT universities would make sense. If you're getting 25/26, two or three LNAT universities would be fine. Even if you're getting a score of 27+ on practice tests, I wouldn't recommend applying to 5 LNAT universities as you never know what could go wrong on the actual test day. For someone consistently scoring 27+ on practice tests, 4 LNAT universities at the very most, but 3 if you want to play it safe.

Also, to answer your previous question, the LNAT is quite important. A large portion of applicants at all the LNAT universities will also have great grades and a strong personal statement. Therefore, getting a bad score won't completely rule you out (especially if you have extenuating factors or are a contextual applicant) but it will significantly lower your chances of getting an offer. Lastly, don't forget to practice for the LNAT essay as well, as this is often just as important as your test score.
Thank you so much 🙂
Reply 14
Having done it last year i think the most important thing is to practice is the essay because the mc is kinda hard to prepare for although it's worth doing a few practice tests for. Make sure ur able to write a decent argumentative essay in a limited time frame and u should be okay (that being said I think a few unis only care about the multiple choice section). Since it's still a while away for you I'd recommend reading as much as possible to improve ur general comprehension but I think that's all u need to do I wouldn't stress about it too much!
hii! i got 28 on the LNAT this year, and these are some things i learned from it.

Firstly, it's only half true that it's an aptitude test. Practice makes a LOT of difference, especially when it comes to getting familiar with the format of the exam. imo, start doing weekly practise at least 3 months before you take your test

You need to know what exactly the question is asking and without practicing, you might misunderstand.
For example, if they ask you to "infer" something from the text, you have to know that they're not asking you to pick an option that is a direct statement, rather something that you can deduce and conclude from the text. The LNAT is time bound, so thinking about this during the test can be really stressful. if you want to maximize your score, make sure to do lots of papers, and critically analyze where you went wrong.

I used Arbitio, and it helped me a lot. While I think the arbitio LNAT essay marking was not particularly helpful, their MCQ tests were challenging and the explanation really helped me understand how to tackle the LNAT. If this is too expensive for you, there are a lot of LNAT resources online that are a lot more affordable. (the oxford uni website has 2 free ones you can check out) Oh, and definitely go through the sample test on the official LNAT website.
If you're someone who learns better through video explanation, check out Jesus College Oxford's "How to smash the LNAT" on YouTube or Eve Cornell's LNAT video.

Secondly, for the essay, make sure to have a format. Ishaan Khosla on YouTube has a really good take on how to answer the essay portion, in my opinion. It'd be a good idea to check it out.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Fujwaa
Having done it last year i think the most important thing is to practice is the essay because the mc is kinda hard to prepare for although it's worth doing a few practice tests for. Make sure ur able to write a decent argumentative essay in a limited time frame and u should be okay (that being said I think a few unis only care about the multiple choice section). Since it's still a while away for you I'd recommend reading as much as possible to improve ur general comprehension but I think that's all u need to do I wouldn't stress about it too much!
Thank you so much!! Do i read newspapers and more academic material, or should i just continue reading normal books?
Original post by uhhhhimonhere
hii! i got 28 on the LNAT this year, and these are some things i learned from it.

Firstly, it's only half true that it's an aptitude test. Practice makes a LOT of difference, especially when it comes to getting familiar with the format of the exam. imo, start doing weekly practise at least 3 months before you take your test

You need to know what exactly the question is asking and without practicing, you might misunderstand.
For example, if they ask you to "infer" something from the text, you have to know that they're not asking you to pick an option that is a direct statement, rather something that you can deduce and conclude from the text. The LNAT is time bound, so thinking about this during the test can be really stressful. if you want to maximize your score, make sure to do lots of papers, and critically analyze where you went wrong.

I used Arbitio, and it helped me a lot. While I think the arbitio LNAT essay marking was not particularly helpful, their MCQ tests were challenging and the explanation really helped me understand how to tackle the LNAT. If this is too expensive for you, there are a lot of LNAT resources online that are a lot more affordable. (the oxford uni website has 2 free ones you can check out) Oh, and definitely go through the sample test on the official LNAT website.
If you're someone who learns better through video explanation, check out Jesus College Oxford's "How to smash the LNAT" on YouTube or Eve Cornell's LNAT video.

Secondly, for the essay, make sure to have a format. Ishaan Khosla on YouTube has a really good take on how to answer the essay portion, in my opinion. It'd be a good idea to check it out.
Omg are you a God?? This is so helpful thank you so much. I am thinking of using Arbito, thank you somuch
Omg are you a God?? This is so helpful thank you so much. I am thinking of using Arbito, thank you somuch
Of course! Also, I forgot to mention that Arbitio is meant to be harder than the real thing, so please don't be discouraged if you get low scores. Good luck!
Hi there! I got a score of 31 on my LNAT. The only LNAT university I applied to was Cambridge though. I started revising in July, and sat it is early September. I booked it on August 1st, so I could get the earliest date possible. I was very glad to get it out of the way quickly, so I would recommend doing that. You've got lots of advice for the multiple choice section, I just want to add that you can also use LNATninja- you can DM me in the summer and I can give you my login details so you don't have to pay for the premium if you'd like. However you shouldn't neglect practicing the essay section either. Do practice essays and get a teacher to mark them if you can. And don't forget to read around, e.g. in the news. You could subscribe to Ziplaw, they do a nice weekly roundup of all the key happenings in the legal world in the form of an email which is handy. If you can, its also good to just read in general. I read War and Peace and Anna Karenina in the leadup to my exam, which meant I was much more comfortable working with the complex and old vocabulary. Feel free to pick and choose the advice that works best for you though. I am not you, I don't know what will work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending