The Student Room Group

Do I have any chance at all of getting into Vet med?

Hello, I previously made a post 3 weeks back
( https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7376700 )

I'm still 3 weeks in and I still have no in person Vet, Equine or rescue centre work experience.
My Rescue centre/Charity shop work experience will begin on Sundays in September, I contacted every equine place in my area and I might possibly be able to secure some with a local equine centre. But still no Vet placements.
But after contacting all of these places I sort of mentally collapsed and stopped all effort (other then revision) into getting placements.

Should i even apply this year, won't the school force me to apply anyway?
If you apply to vet schools that don't require in-person experience then you will be considered for a place, however you will still be competing against most other students who will have plenty of experience and know the ins and outs of the profession so you will be at a huge disadvantage.

Your school can't force you to apply to university, so if you aren't ready to apply and do not meet the work experience requirements it would be advisable to wait another year.

It's also worth mentioning that while at vet school you are required to obtain 38 weeks of further experience, so if contacting placement hosts and arranging placements is difficult for you you just need to keep in mind that veterinary school requires you to do a lot more of this.

You should talk to your tutor or someone at sixth form/college about your next steps. :smile:
Original post by DukeAim
Hello, I previously made a post 3 weeks back
( https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7376700 )

I'm still 3 weeks in and I still have no in person Vet, Equine or rescue centre work experience.
My Rescue centre/Charity shop work experience will begin on Sundays in September, I contacted every equine place in my area and I might possibly be able to secure some with a local equine centre. But still no Vet placements.
But after contacting all of these places I sort of mentally collapsed and stopped all effort (other then revision) into getting placements.

Should i even apply this year, won't the school force me to apply anyway?

Hi,

Most vet courses will require you to have some practical experience, even if you don't necessarily need it for the course they will more than likely take on the students that have the experience over the ones that don't. They will want to know that you have a firm understanding of what it actually entails to work in that environment. So, its probably best to get some experience before applying, even if you take a year out to get the experience, its not going to delay things by much and it will solidify either way in your mind that its something you definitely want to do. Your school can't force you to apply, so maybe speak to your tutor for some advice. You could also contact the course leaders directly for your chosen universities and ask them what their requirements will be, and go to some open days to speak to students and lecturers.

I know you said that you have emailed plenty of places for work experience, but it might be better to call them, emails can easily get over looked when a practice is busy. Plus you can make much more an impression speaking to someone on the phone, you can then follow the phone call up with an email and try to arrange to speak to someone in person.

Good luck with everything and try not to stress yourself with it all too much :smile:

Victoria
-Wrexham Uni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending