The Student Room Group

English gcse help

I don't know how to improve my grades as im constantly floating around 5,6,7 in my english exams ... most recently 6 and 7 in lit and lang, idk what to do; i'd consider myself fairly literate, despite that i don't read a lot but im not sure what the code is to get a 9
Reply 1
Original post by doorhandle86
I don't know how to improve my grades as im constantly floating around 5,6,7 in my english exams ... most recently 6 and 7 in lit and lang, idk what to do; i'd consider myself fairly literate, despite that i don't read a lot but im not sure what the code is to get a 9

For my english GCSE (edexcel i think) i had some poetry and the passages. for the poetry i just did loads of practise to get my head around what kind of things get the marks: specific words and phrases. for the passages i found markschemes on the main themes and just learnt the points! Then i practised putting the points into coherent structures. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by hockel.dl
For my english GCSE (edexcel i think) i had some poetry and the passages. for the poetry i just did loads of practise to get my head around what kind of things get the marks: specific words and phrases. for the passages i found markschemes on the main themes and just learnt the points! Then i practised putting the points into coherent structures. Hope this helps!

i do aqa so im not sure what you mean by the passages , (sorry i forgot to specify the exam board) also what practice exactly did you do?
Reply 3
Original post by doorhandle86

i do aqa so im not sure what you mean by the passages , (sorry i forgot to specify the exam board) also what practice exactly did you do?

any past papers and just random poems on the poetry foundation
Hi! I did get a 9 in English and this is what I'd recommend personally:
1) Tell your teacher that you'd really like to improve and get a 9. This means that they may direct you to some revision websites or give you some extra work to do in class.
2) Do a past paper and ask your teacher if you can go through it together and mark it. This will help you realise where you could improve and what you did well!
3) Look up examples of answers that got an 8 or 9 and see what sentences or words you can steal from those!
Best of luck with it and let me know if you have any questions.

Quick Reply

Latest