The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Ask A Student Ambassador

Hello everyone!

I'm Lydia, a Primary Education student at YSJ and I've been a student ambassador for coming on two years.
It is great to see so many offer holders on here and clearing is coming up when we can welcome more of you.

I would like to answer any questions that applicants and potential applicants have. This could be about the university, life in York or importantly clearing.

My messages are also open if you do not want to ask on this forum!

I am looking forward to hearing from you all! :smile:
Reply 1
I do have a question actually, not sure if you can answer it, but it's about bringing my car with me. While I don't expect to be using it a great deal, not for travelling to and from uni anyway since it's not far from my building, I would like to have it there as an option rather than having it take up space on the driveway at home or having to sell it. It would be convenient for things like shopping trips, day trips out of the city and of course returning home. I live 2.5 hours away from York so I won't be doing it a lot but public transport could cost me two or three times as much and take twice as long (I'm talking £70+ for a one way train ticket vs £40-45 to fill the tank).

So I guess what I'm asking is would my accommodation allow me to bring it with me and keep it on site? I'm staying at the Brickworks. Had a look and couldn't find anything from them. I don't know if there is some kind of general rule amongst student accommodation sites for this kind of thing.
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Original post by GregC225
I do have a question actually, not sure if you can answer it, but it's about bringing my car with me. While I don't expect to be using it a great deal, not for travelling to and from uni anyway since it's not far from my building, I would like to have it there as an option rather than having it take up space on the driveway at home or having to sell it. It would be convenient for things like shopping trips, day trips out of the city and of course returning home. I live 2.5 hours away from York so I won't be doing it a lot but public transport could cost me two or three times as much and take twice as long (I'm talking £70+ for a one way train ticket vs £40-45 to fill the tank).

So I guess what I'm asking is would my accommodation allow me to bring it with me and keep it on site? I'm staying at the Brickworks. Had a look and couldn't find anything from them. I don't know if there is some kind of general rule amongst student accommodation sites for this kind of thing.

Of course, I will answer to the best of my ability.

The general advice from our accommodation team is not to bring a car as spaces are limited and so given to those with accessibility issues and in exceptional circumstances. However, if you were to get in touch you may be able to get a parking permit. You can email the team at [email protected] to enquire, please note that we have a high volume of enquiries at the moment. These spots will be at either The Grange or City Residence which are close to campus so a little bit of a walk but as you say, not too far.

I believe the Brickworks does have a small car park but that could be staff only. I would ask accommodation about that carpark specifically too, just in case!

Unfortunately, students in halls of residence cannot get parking permits with the council. You would be able to do that in your second and third year if you move into a house.

You really don't need a car in York, it is very much a walking city and we have lots of buses too. However, I understand what you mean about having an option and it being cheaper to get home too. So I would recommend that you drop accommodation an email and enquire about the Brickworks car park and if not, can you get a parking permit for another site.

I hope this helps,
Lydia :smile:
Studying politics and Int relations which accomodation would you recommend pleas
Reply 4
Hello, do you have any information on how flexible our timetables will be for the first years in a double " dual honors" course? For instance, do the timetables remain the same or do they change regularly, i am worried that I may have to shift my extra curricular activities on a daily if this may be the case. I am hoping to have a good work, revision life as well as continuing my extra activities on the side.
Kind regards,
future student.
Original post by BUNNYXO
Hello, do you have any information on how flexible our timetables will be for the first years in a double " dual honors" course? For instance, do the timetables remain the same or do they change regularly, i am worried that I may have to shift my extra curricular activities on a daily if this may be the case. I am hoping to have a good work, revision life as well as continuing my extra activities on the side.
Kind regards,
future student.

Hi,

If you're studying a less practical based double-honours, such as Sociology and Criminology, then your timetable should be mostly the same week in, week out. Sometimes, in the event of a guest lecturer or a cancellation, your lecture will be rescheduled or moved, but in my own experience, this does not happen often.

If you're doing something like Primary Education, Physiotherapy or Biomedical Science, then it'll depend on that course, as they do vary week to week, so they do offer a lot less flexibility.

Hope this helps,

Andrew
Reply 6
hi, ive got an interview coming up for primary teaching and im wondering roughly how long it takes so i can plan trains, also how formally do you need to dress, as i don’t want to be the odd one out haha

thanks
Do I need to be applying for accommodation now, before I’ve heard back from all my universities?
Original post by Hamish MacLeod
Do I need to be applying for accommodation now, before I’ve heard back from all my universities?

Hi,

If you're dead set on applying for accommodation, and you feel like you're already locked in with your choice, then go ahead and apply.

As far as I am aware, you can only select it for your firm choice with some universities, and for your insurance choice, some universities may let you pick a choice of accommodation, but if your choices will let you pick this early, then it's entirely up to you what you end up doing.

It might be worth waiting until you have all your offers before proceeding, as it can help you to decide what uni and not rush into it.

Hope this helps,
Andrew
Original post by Hamish MacLeod

Hi!

It largely depends on the universities you are applying to: London universities are known to be especially competitive when it comes to housing, and most universities open their accommodation bookings at different times.

If you already got an offer from your first choice university, then it is worth applying. Otherwise, depending on the deadlines and availability, it might be worth waiting for other offers. Once again, it depends on the university, but most universities guarantee 1st year students the accommodation! (check it on the websites or contact the university accommodation team for details).

Hope this helps!

Polina,
Lancaster University Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending