The Student Room Group

Can I start a PGCE if I interrupt my MA course?

I am currently doing a part-time MA that I am not fully enjoying because I have to work full time as a waitress and also commit to my studies (I can't put as much effort as I wish and this is also frustrating). However, I always wanted to teach so I was thinking of interrupting my MA for one or two years and do a PGCE with the gov bursary or scholarship.

This way I could finally leave hospitality, gain some relevant work experience, and go back to study my MA with less stress...

Does anyone know if this is possible?
Original post by carmenborr
I am currently doing a part-time MA that I am not fully enjoying because I have to work full time as a waitress and also commit to my studies (I can't put as much effort as I wish and this is also frustrating). However, I always wanted to teach so I was thinking of interrupting my MA for one or two years and do a PGCE with the gov bursary or scholarship.

This way I could finally leave hospitality, gain some relevant work experience, and go back to study my MA with less stress...

Hello @carmenborr,

This is clearly a personal decision but if you would like some support exploring your options, we have an adviser for you who would be more than happy to assist you throughout this process.

The Get Into Teaching advisers are all qualified and experienced former teachers, and the service is completely FREE.

Furthermore, you may be able to use the credits you earn when completing your PGCE (where you have to complete 3 masters level assignments), towards a full masters in the future, once you're working (and getting paid!) as a qualified teacher.

You can request an adviser here, or visit the Get Into Teaching website.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best wishes,
Tom
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 2
Original post by carmenborr

A PGCE is way more full time than waiting on whilst doing a part time masters. For the majority of your PGCE you will be in school, planning, teaching and assessing between 10 and 14 hours of teaching a week. It is pretty hardcore.

I think it is a mindset thing. I am a full time teacher and looking to embark on a part time masters this September. I feel it will be more than doable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending