The Student Room Group

Architect choices

I am in my 1st year of a 2 year college course in 3d art & design. I have just completed a weeks work experience at a local architect firm which I really enjoyed.
However I’m not 100% set on uni, I would prefer some kind of apprenticeship, I am looking into civil engineering too.
Are there many degree apprenticeships to get into architecture? I am looking on the gov.uk for apprenticeships to get a rough idea what is out there currently so I know what to expect going forward.
If I do decide to go down the uni route, there are uni courses in London/Essex (I would prefer to travel in to my uni rather than live away) but they are a 3 or 4 year course with placement year, how easy is it to get the placement?
Thanks
Original post by Finb07
I am in my 1st year of a 2 year college course in 3d art & design. I have just completed a weeks work experience at a local architect firm which I really enjoyed.
However I’m not 100% set on uni, I would prefer some kind of apprenticeship, I am looking into civil engineering too.
Are there many degree apprenticeships to get into architecture? I am looking on the gov.uk for apprenticeships to get a rough idea what is out there currently so I know what to expect going forward.
If I do decide to go down the uni route, there are uni courses in London/Essex (I would prefer to travel in to my uni rather than live away) but they are a 3 or 4 year course with placement year, how easy is it to get the placement?
Thanks

There are only two unis that currently offer level 6 architecture apprenticeship training (LSBU and Portsmouth). There is more information on the following RIBA webpage:

https://www.architecture.com/educati...ure-apprentice

It takes seven years or more to qualify as an architect - undergraduate degree (3/4 yrs) followed by a year in practice, then a master degree (2 yrs) followed by another year in practice and a final exam.

Here is a list of RIBA-approved architecture courses and the A level entry requirements:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
Reply 2
london south bank offers level 6 (riba part 1) and 7 (part 2) apprenticeships in architecture, as i understand it you would have to secure a position in an architecture practice yourself beforehand. you could talk to the architecture firm you did your work experience at and see if they'd be willing to let you work there as an apprentice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending