The Student Room Group

I Have a Problem

Very long story short I'm a year 13 student, I've sent off my UCAS in september and applied for law this year (have offers already)

But I don't want to apply for law anymore.

I want to study medicine, what can I do now?
Is there any chance of (applying for) 2009 entry?
If 2009 entry is out of the question, how do unis see gap-year med students?
I know that the A2 syllabus changes next year (content, A*s etc) will that give me a disadvantage?
Does the UCAS system change next year, if it does, how.
I don't care what Uni (UK only though)
I'm predicted 3 A's (my AS's were all A's Bio, chem, eng lit, maths(dropped maths at A2))
What are my options

p.s.
I know, it all seems strange and yes i should have realised this sooner but i'm really confused so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jason the Mason
Very long story short I'm a year 13 student, I've sent off my UCAS in september and applied for law this year (have offers already)

Is there any chance of 2009 entry?
I know that the A2 syllabus changes next year (content, A*s etc) will that give me a disadvantage?
I'm predicted 3 A's (my AS's were all A's Bio, chem, eng lit, maths)
What are my options

p.s.
I know, it all seems strange and yes i should have realised this sooner but i'm really confused so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thats great. Atleast you have done bio and chem for As-level...Now the question is are you doing them for A2? If so, then no worries. Just take a gap year and re apply. Unis wont see you as being different, you will still have to compete with the rest.However, you will have achieved your A2 grades already, so ti will give you bit of an advantage. Moreover, if you mention in your PS how you came to like medicine etc and do work experiences to back it up, You will be fine. Just try to keep A in chemistry and of course other subjects too.
Reply 2
Do something medically related in your gap year (Volunteering/Health Care Assistant) or something you can relate to a career in Medicine.

Together with what SilentGirl said, that should do the trick
Right few questions:
1) Why did you want to do law? What has changed?
2) Why do you want to do medicine?

To answer your post

Jason the Mason
No

In the same way (or in some cases) better than non gap-year students

Unlikely as you won't have had the opportunity to sit for A*, and Unis are imo unlikely to specify A* straight away.

not as far as I know

What are my options
Get work experience and apply next year or do Law and apply as a graduate
Jason the Mason

I'm predicted 3 A's (my AS's were all A's Bio, chem, eng lit, maths(dropped maths at A2))
What are my options

p.s.

thats fine - you might get a few strange looks but only you know whats best for you; plus you don't want to spend 3/4 years doing a course you dislike form the beginning!

2009 entry is not out of the question; i believe you can start by declining all your offers and go into clearing - there might be some available places up for grabs; but as u would probably be aware these places are extremely few and u really need a lot of A's to get these. That being said, there is really only 2 universities which you can apply to even if there are places avaliable, as you have not taken the ukcat nor the bmat test i believe? so there are only 2 medical schools which does not require you to take those admission tests - do some research on it.

okay; so for subjects you should continue on with chemistry, and biology; i would also choose english lit - tis a good combination, as a mix of arts and science; ucl like that.

if you fail to get into medicine this year, you can go for a gap year, as you say. As long as you do something constructive in your gap year (eg. not sitting in front of the tele the whole year) and you can talk about your experience, and how it made u want to do medicine even more; i believe it'll actually give u a slight advantage over your average school leaver applicant, as you'll be more mature and universities like that.

I don't think the new syllabus will pose any problems, as long as you get straight A's you should be okay. As the system is new, universities don't really know what to make of it yet, so you'll be okay i think; but don't quote me on that as i am not an admission tutor.

hope that answers most of your questions, for the universities you should really look through all the medical schools in the UK and see which you you like - teaching style, campus, degree u receive, etc.

good luck with your application!

Latest

Trending

Trending