The Student Room Group

Pharmacist refusing to sell me cocodamol

I take cocodamol for my migraines/headaches and last time I tried to buy it (from Boots) the guy behind the pharmacy counter said he wouldn’t sell it to me without a prescription even though it’s over the counter.

I come in to buy it not even once a week/probably around three times a month and I’ve only been served by that pharmacist specifically once or twice before so he would have no reason to think I’m misusing it/addicted to it. I look quite young but I’m over 18 and I would’ve shown ID if I was even given the chance and not just refused sale.

I just went somewhere else and bought it but if the other pharmacy in my area starts refusing as well then idk what I’ll do. It’s the only thing that works for my headaches and I’ve been the Doctor’s multiple times and just been told to take paracetamol (which doesn’t work) and essentially just dismissed and told to go away.

Are they allowed to just refuse sale like that when I’m an adult and is there anything I can do about it?
Cocodamol is addictive and not recommend for headaches as it causes rebound headaches. You seem so keen to obtain it, I recommend changing to another painkiller without codeine, such as Ibuprofen 400mg or Aspirin 300mg after discussing with the pharmacist as NSAIDs are not suitable for everyone but highly effective for Migraines.
although 8/500 co-codamol is a Pharmacy medicince it's also a Schedule 5 CD

Ap harmacist can refuse to supply a Pharmacy list medication if they beleive that you are misusing it or that you pose a risk if it was to be supplied
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
Cocodamol is addictive and not recommend for headaches as it causes rebound headaches. You seem so keen to obtain it, I recommend changing to another painkiller without codeine, such as Ibuprofen 400mg or Aspirin 300mg after discussing with the pharmacist as NSAIDs are not suitable for everyone but highly effective for Migraines.

Ibuprofen and aspirin don’t work for me, and cocodamol doesn’t cause headaches for me, it’s effective at stopping them being as bad. I’ve been to the doctor’s and they won’t give me anything stronger on prescription
Reply 4
Original post by Miss Pulford
although 8/500 co-codamol is a Pharmacy medicince it's also a Schedule 5 CD

Ap harmacist can refuse to supply a Pharmacy list medication if they beleive that you are misusing it or that you pose a risk if it was to be supplied

I don’t think I’m doing anything to give the impression that I’m misusing it though. I don’t come across as an addict, I’m polite to the staff and I dress nice, and I’m always sober when I go to buy it.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I don’t think I’m doing anything to give the impression that I’m misusing it though. I don’t come across as an addict, I’m polite to the staff and I dress nice, and I’m always sober when I go to buy it.

<to be said in best Dolly Parton accent >

aw, bless your heart
Reply 6
Original post by Username123ab
You can buy it online but you’ll still need a consultation with a pharmacist/doctor. It’s probably the frequency you’re buying it at that made them refuse the sale.

He didn’t even ask how much I take/how frequently or what I take it for though, kind of seems unfair that they can just refuse the sale and basically accuse me of misusing it without even bothering to find out
It’s probably how often you buy it, they’re probably not accusing you of misusing or being addicted to it, they just have to take precautions

Even if you are not addicted to it, you will be getting rebound headaches from taking them too often. You need to be on some sort of prophylactic medication. Go back to the GP. You are only making things worse for yourself in the long run if you don't treat it properly.
Reply 9
Original post by Veet Voojagig
Even if you are not addicted to it, you will be getting rebound headaches from taking them too often. You need to be on some sort of prophylactic medication. Go back to the GP. You are only making things worse for yourself in the long run if you don't treat it properly.

I have been to the doctors about headaches multiple times (6 in total I think) and told them that I think I have migraines and it is sometimes so bad I can’t do anything and that I think I need a stronger pain killer and they have just told me to take paracetamol and the usual bs health advice. My headaches haven’t been as bad in either frequency or intensity since taking cocodamol so even if I do get rebound headaches I’d rather that than what I had before
I have been to the doctors about headaches multiple times (6 in total I think) and told them that I think I have migraines and it is sometimes so bad I can’t do anything and that I think I need a stronger pain killer and they have just told me to take paracetamol and the usual bs health advice. My headaches haven’t been as bad in either frequency or intensity since taking cocodamol so even if I do get rebound headaches I’d rather that than what I had before

Then see a different GP. Rebound headaches only get worse with time, and the fact that you are needing to self-medicate so often shows that you are rebounding already. Eventually, the co-codamol won't work anymore. You need to be assertive about it and mention the rebound.

It was decades ago when my migraines were first diagnosed, and I had a GP who did not take it seriously. I'm sure he thought I was just a "hysterical" woman. He put me on prescription strength co-codamol and diclofenac and surprise surprise... it got worse. Soooo much worse. I ended up in hospital on IV fluids because I had been stuck in a status migraine for weeks and was at the point where I could not even keep fluids down. It was while I was on the ward that I was finally seen by a neurologist and put on the meds that I still take to this day.

I did also switch GPs after that, but trust me when I say that you do not want to find yourself in a similar mess.
Original post by Anonymous

Yet 3 days later you still haven't spoken to a GP about this - which clearly suggests the pharmacists are right to be cautious about your attitude to medications and their sensible use.
Reply 12
Original post by threeportdrift
Yet 3 days later you still haven't spoken to a GP about this - which clearly suggests the pharmacists are right to be cautious about your attitude to medications and their sensible use.

What am I supposed to say to a GP when I have been about my migraines multiple times and seen two different doctors (because I moved during the years I’ve been mentioning it) and still just been dismissed
Reply 13
Original post by Veet Voojagig
Then see a different GP. Rebound headaches only get worse with time, and the fact that you are needing to self-medicate so often shows that you are rebounding already. Eventually, the co-codamol won't work anymore. You need to be assertive about it and mention the rebound.

It was decades ago when my migraines were first diagnosed, and I had a GP who did not take it seriously. I'm sure he thought I was just a "hysterical" woman. He put me on prescription strength co-codamol and diclofenac and surprise surprise... it got worse. Soooo much worse. I ended up in hospital on IV fluids because I had been stuck in a status migraine for weeks and was at the point where I could not even keep fluids down. It was while I was on the ward that I was finally seen by a neurologist and put on the meds that I still take to this day.

I did also switch GPs after that, but trust me when I say that you do not want to find yourself in a similar mess.

I have mentioned my headaches/migraines to two different doctors because I moved during the time I’ve been going about it and both have just dismissed, probably because of the hysterical young woman stereotype like you said. And I’m not mentioning the cocodamol to a doctor because it just gives them more excuses to dismiss me and act like I’m some sort of addict just making things up
I have mentioned my headaches/migraines to two different doctors because I moved during the time I’ve been going about it and both have just dismissed, probably because of the hysterical young woman stereotype like you said. And I’m not mentioning the cocodamol to a doctor because it just gives them more excuses to dismiss me and act like I’m some sort of addict just making things up

I did wonder whether you were female. Sadly we still experience this sort of discrimination, especially when it comes to pain, and even moreso when it is headaches. This is why you need to be more bullish about it. Remind them of their duty of care!

I agree, don't share anything with them that will make their bias worse, but go in there with a well-researched plan and know exactly what you are going to say. If possible, ask to see a female GP. Don't be afraid to back them in a corner, because this is effectively what they are doing to you.

I'm Gen X, so I tend to be unafraid to be blunt with someone who is just not getting it. However, it does work, especially when dealing with someone who is being condescending. I have no qualms about just addressing the elephant in the room and asking outright "Is this because I am a woman? Would you take a man more seriously? Very unprofessional... and illegal. Now, I have taken time out of my day to speak you as an equal, so I expect the same courtesy in return. I would very much appreciate if you don't waste my time. You don't like your time being wasted, do you? Well, it goes both ways, so let's get to the bottom of this so that we do not have to see each other again in a few more days with the exact same complaint, because that is exactly what is going to happen until you take this seriously." If they try to interrupt, I shush them and remind them that I am speaking. Once I am finished, I then lean back and look them dead in the eye.

But that's just me, and I am only like that because of what I had to endure all those years ago. Being scary takes practice, but it gets you what you want 😉 Hopefully, it won't be necessary, especially if you do manage to speak to a woman next time, but you need to find your voice and be a strong advocate for yourself. You deserve better than what you are getting right now.

I really hope things improve for you, OP.
What am I supposed to say to a GP when I have been about my migraines multiple times and seen two different doctors (because I moved during the years I’ve been mentioning it) and still just been dismissed

You go back and explain in more detail what is going on and you listen to them more closely to understand why they are proposing the treatment plan they have. You ask them questions. Ultimately you have to give them enough information to help them offer a satisfactory solution, you aren't the one that is medically trained and can decide that solution.
Original post by Anonymous #2

Go to another pharmacy. Problem solved! Or order it online, collect in store!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending