The Student Room Group

Question for Durham Law Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Got rejected from Durham with LNAT score 35, predicted A*A*A, achieved A* in EPQ and 99999999998 in GCSE. Thought my personal statement was pretty good so not sure what went wrong. Should I reapply?
Reply 21
Original post by ElectricBlue13
Got rejected from Durham with LNAT score 35, predicted A*A*A, achieved A* in EPQ and 99999999998 in GCSE. Thought my personal statement was pretty good so not sure what went wrong. Should I reapply?

😭 HUH? No way... Your stats are amazing...

Damn that’s crazy really sorry to hear. By any chance could I read your personal statement? Bc surely they should give u an offer with those stats.

My stats were not nearly as good as yours and I got an offer from Durham. What was the nature of your personal statement? I can’t see any other reason beside your ps for them not making you an offer.
Thanks for replies guys. I think my personal statement may have been too academic with not enough extra curriculars (it was more geared towards Cambridge which Durham may not have liked). LMK if you can open the picture. I'm also non-contextual and go to a private school in the North East
Personal Statement.jpg
Reply 25
Thanks for replies guys. I think my personal statement may have been too academic with not enough extra curriculars (it was more geared towards Cambridge which Durham may not have liked). LMK if you can open the picture. I'm also non-contextual and go to a private school in the North East
Personal Statement.jpg

Heyyy, those are amazing super curriculars hahaha. Do U mind me asking if you have an offer from Cambridge?
Reply 26
Personal Statement.jpg

Also it's a great ps, I just (personally) think that it's a little too informative? As in, it doesn't sound very "personal" if that makes sense. Rather than showcasing your enthusiasm, the amount of info packed in seemed like you were writing an essay on the super curriculars rather than telling them: Why law? Why choose me?
That's just my own opinion tho.
It may be true that Durham didn't like the amount of super curriculars hahah 😭 I've heard that they are petty against Oxbridge applicants... But idk 😭
(edited 1 month ago)
Personal Statement.jpg

Your personal statement is pretty good in terms of super curriculars and the general things that a personal statement must have in it but it’s missing your own stamp on it if that makes sense. You have to make it very specific to yourself otherwise you run the risk of it sounding a bit robotical. If you do decide to apply again, my best advice would be to go into much more detail about why you want to take law and why they should give you an offer.
Personal Statement.jpg

i dont understand bc ur ps is great and ur stats are insansely good. did u get a cambridge offer? or any other offers?
Sorry for taking ages to respond and thanks for your advice. I am going to see what I get in my A Levels and will probably reapply if I get A*A*A or higher. If I reapply, I will try to do law-stuff over the year to add to my personal statement and will try to make a bit more personal and 'why I want law'. I was rejected after interview from Cambridge but have offers from York, Lancaster and Northumbria. I keep telling myself I should be happy with Lancaster cause it honestly looks great but I'm struggling to get over the rejections - really thought I'd get Durham. Good luck and congrats to everyone else and sorry for derailing the purpose of the thread!
Reply 30
Sorry for taking ages to respond and thanks for your advice. I am going to see what I get in my A Levels and will probably reapply if I get A*A*A or higher. If I reapply, I will try to do law-stuff over the year to add to my personal statement and will try to make a bit more personal and 'why I want law'. I was rejected after interview from Cambridge but have offers from York, Lancaster and Northumbria. I keep telling myself I should be happy with Lancaster cause it honestly looks great but I'm struggling to get over the rejections - really thought I'd get Durham. Good luck and congrats to everyone else and sorry for derailing the purpose of the thread!

Don’t worry about derailing the thread, it’s pretty dead anyways lol. That’s a good idea if that’s what you truly want to go for! Best of luck. Lancaster and York are amazing unis too tho! As long as you have the ambition, you can do just as well as everyone else no matter where you attend (if not better). Shucks, getting to the interview stage is superb in itself- well done!

But I understand. I’m struggling to get over my rejections from UCL,KCL and LSE too… rejections are never easy, but I believe they teach us profound lessons and help develop our character. Rejection is redirection— you’ll never what God and life has in store for you. You may not be going to the uni or place you want, but maybe you’ll meet the love of your life at the uni you’ve been redirected to. Maybe you’ll have a better experience there. Maybe you’ll receive better opportunities and make better friendships. Maybe you wouldn’t have had a good time at the place you thought you wanted.

I truly believe it is what you personally make out of your situation that is most important. I know it’s easy for me to say, especially since our world has become so materialistic and high-achieving. But to anyone out there struggling with rejection, remember, there are so many more factors(that are outside our mental capacity)to each rejection.
(Sorry for rambling)

Good luck with whatever path you choose. You’ll be fine no matter what. 😇
(edited 1 week ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending