The Student Room Group

feel humiliated in labs

hey! just a bit of a rant but long stroy short i feel so incompetant when im in labs at uni, everyone else seems to be doing perfectly fine but i end up embarassing myself everytime with silly mistakes or not knowing what's going on, resulting me to always be the last one to leave, i guess im just a bit ashamed since labs are an important part of my degree and im struggling with them... i wanted to know if anyone else had any embarrassing moments they would like to share, maybe it'll make me feel less alone in this situation!
it helps to think of yourself as a crazy lab rat, cooking the most evil soup known to mankind, giggling maniacally under your breath. idk anything about science degrees mb
Prepare for labs by reading what you will be doing in advance of the lab. This will help you be more organised when in the lab.
Reply 3
Original post by mike23mike
Prepare for labs by reading what you will be doing in advance of the lab. This will help you be more organised when in the lab.

thank you for the advice i already already do this but unfortunately they don't always go the way i want them to
Original post by Anonymous #1
hey! just a bit of a rant but long stroy short i feel so incompetant when im in labs at uni, everyone else seems to be doing perfectly fine but i end up embarassing myself everytime with silly mistakes or not knowing what's going on, resulting me to always be the last one to leave, i guess im just a bit ashamed since labs are an important part of my degree and im struggling with them... i wanted to know if anyone else had any embarrassing moments they would like to share, maybe it'll make me feel less alone in this situation!

Hey!

First off, I'm really sorry to hear you're having such a difficult time with your labs, especially if they're a big part of your degree. Have you tried reaching out to your tutors to discuss how you're feeling? Or talked with any of your coursemates or friends about how they're preparing for labs? Although it might seem like they're doing perfectly fine, they might be struggling to understand what's going on as well, so it's worth discussing it with anyone you're friendly with on your course.

If most of your friends are okay with the lab, however, maybe ask if you can meet up with them over a coffee to prep half an hour or so beforehand - they might have some insights on how to stay organised or what specifically you should or should not do.

Eve (Kingston Rep).
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are struggling with your lab sessions!

I know it's hard when you feel like you're the only one but you won't be alone in this! Although everyone else seems to be doing perfectly fine, they're bound to be making little mistakes along the way too so there's no need to feel ashamed! You'll find that people won't even notice either so don't be embarrassed - making mistakes and learning from them is how you develop and improve.

I would suggest reaching out to your lecturers as they are there to support you! Don't be afraid to ask for help. Have you tried chatting to your course mates too and letting them know how you feel? You may find that they have some advice they can share or similar experiences.

I hope this helps and best of luck in your future lab sessions!
G

Hi there,

I totally understand how you're feeling. University labs can be challenging and it's okay to make mistakes. Remember, everyone is learning and it's perfectly normal to not know everything. Some people might seem like they're doing perfectly fine, but trust me, they have their own struggles too. It's through these mistakes that we learn and improve. Don't be too hard on yourself and remember that it's okay to ask for help. You're definitely not alone in this.

Keep going,
Ilya :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending