The Student Room Group

Advice - Relating to Foundation Med

Hi -

So basically im 19 and doing a BTEC ND in Health Science predicted DDD - Equivalent to AAA at A-level. I have GCSE -

Eng Language- A*
Eng Literature- B
Math- B
Biology- A
Chemistry- A
Music- B
Art - C

I know those grades are not by any means great but i was in and out of hospital over a long period of time and missed out on a lot of my GCSE schooling. I've always wanted to do medicine which is reflected in my PS.I'm not applying in this years med cycle but will be in the next. My tutor has got anyone applying for med in the next cycle doing their PS now as she wants to get them sent off fairly early and mines sounds really good, or so im told. I know my reference will be glowing too. In regards to volunteering/placement -

I have 10 weeks hospital placement (over 100 hours on my course) with a lot of hands on tasks such as practicing an endoscopy on a rubber dummy, seeing MRI's, getting into theater etc as well as getting advice off doctors, student medics and getting to know hospital policy/procedures. I also done a medical programme for a week which meant we got to shadow doctors, attend lectures, the year before and im also volunteering at the hospital at the moment. Furthermore, i arranged a fundraiser for the hospital.
I know i've yet to sit my UKCAT but im hoping to do fairly well. I'm hoping to apply to UEA, Bristol, Southampton and I think possibly Cardiff.

But after reading the other threads I would really appreciate anyone who has advice on whether or not they believe this sounds like im doing enough to even just get an interview? or advice on anything!?

Gosh ive taken up alot of the page!

Thanks!!!:smile:

Oh and I also shaved my head for my local hospice before i sat my GCSE's for personal reasons.....so im hoping this makes me stand out, in a quirky kind of way. Thankfully i have a full head of hair now! :smile:
Reply 1
Wow! You certainly have experience.

Is your BTEC the "foundation into a medicine course"? If so, then the university will probably have links with other universities (or the same university) to do medicine. If it's not the foundation course, then find out if the universities you want to go to will take a BTEC. Once you've found that out, it should be a bit easier. :smile:

Muni.
xx
munim
Wow! You certainly have experience.

Is your BTEC the "foundation into a medicine course"? If so, then the university will probably have links with other universities (or the same university) to do medicine. If it's not the foundation course, then find out if the universities you want to go to will take a BTEC. Once you've found that out, it should be a bit easier. :smile:

Muni.
xx

Heya!

Aww thanks...I didnt plan on having all that experience it just kinda happened. No my BTEC isnt a 'foundation into a medicine course' its just a level three qualification. Although ive spoken to UEA, Bristol, Southampton and they all accept my BTEC. I just want to make sure my application is good enough to get me an interview. I know that my 'shaving head' stunt makes me seem a tad quirky so im hoping this helps me stand out a bit!

Where are you studying at the mo?
:smile:
xx
Reply 3
DrRockette-Fuel
Heya!

Aww thanks...I didnt plan on having all that experience it just kinda happened. No my BTEC isnt a 'foundation into a medicine course' its just a level three qualification. Although ive spoken to UEA, Bristol, Southampton and they all accept my BTEC. I just want to make sure my application is good enough to get me an interview. I know that my 'shaving head' stunt makes me seem a tad quirky so im hoping this helps me stand out a bit!

Where are you studying at the mo?
:smile:
xx

Woodhouse College. Studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A2.

Muni.
xx
munim
Woodhouse College. Studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A2.

Muni.
xx

Awww cool....so where ya thinking on applying?

xx:smile:
Reply 5
DrRockette-Fuel
Awww cool....so where ya thinking on applying?

Imperial, UCL, Kings and QMUL... I don't think I'll get in though.:frown:

Where do you study?

Muni.
xx
munim
Imperial, UCL, Kings and QMUL... I don't think I'll get in though.:frown:

Where do you study?

Muni.
xx

I have a friends doing medicine in both Kings and UCl. Have faith.....!!:smile: I'm sure you'll do great!

Im at N.W.R.C in Northern Ireland! :smile:

xx
Reply 7
DrRockette-Fuel
I have a friends doing medicine in both Kings and UCl. Have faith.....!!:smile: I'm sure you'll do great!

Im at N.W.R.C in Northern Ireland! :smile:

xx

Awww.. thanks!

Ooh! I like Northern Ireland. My form tutor from secondary school was from there. She is amazing. I miss her so much. :frown:

Do you have any extra curricular activities?

Muni.
xx
munim
Awww.. thanks!

Ooh! I like Northern Ireland. My form tutor from secondary school was from there. She is amazing. I miss her so much. :frown:

Do you have any extra curricular activities?

Muni.
xx

Debating is a big one and Music...:smile:

What about you?

Yeah N.Ireland is alright! Im not seeing much of it at the moment...im flat out studying! :smile: But it'll be worth it!

Reply 9
DrRockette-Fuel
Debating is a big one and Music...:smile:

What about you?

Yeah N.Ireland is alright! Im not seeing much of it at the moment...im flat out studying! :smile: But it'll be worth it!

Writing (poetry mainly - I have my own site), going out with friends, shopping and arguing with my siblings.:p:

Muni.
xx
munim
Writing (poetry mainly - I have my own site), going out with friends, shopping and arguing with my siblings.:p:

Muni.
xx

Cool...i dont have any siblings...well...my mums expecting a baby at the moment! so i will soon enough! :smile:

Oh whats your website address?

How you feeling about all this med stuff?

xx
Reply 11
I'll send the web address in a private message. I don't want to break any rules...

I'm quite nervous about all this medicine stuff. I wish they'd get it over and done with. :-/

What about you?
Muni.
xx

Latest

Trending

Trending