The Student Room Group

PGCE 2nd placement

So...I'm in my second placement now. I was hating every moment of the year in my 1st placement, I couldn't wait for it to end.

I've recovered the faith in teaching in my second placement. I'm getting very positive feedback, everyone is very supportive and in three weeks I feel I've learned more than in the past 5 months.

My host school is ok, people are nice and they have treated me ok. Nothing against them. BUT all the time there I felt like a burden, all the feedback I had was one positive and a thousand negatives. I appreciate the feedback of course, because I'm learning but everything was feeling so negative that I wasn't even thinking of applying for teaching jobs next year. I thought maybe it wasn't for me. And honestly the feedback I got I don't even feel it was helping me at all. I also don't really like the system they use to teach my subject.

In my second placement it's completely different, all teachers sit with me after lessons and the majority of feedback is positive with a few targets to work on. I love the system they use and I'm learning so much. I just feel in this school they know how to work with trainees and encourage them.

I've been asked by the training provider how it was going in the 2nd placement and I explained all the reasons why I was loving it so much. They told me maybe I could stay there until the end of the year and I said I didn't want to create any drama with my previous school but that I would love to stay in the second one and I explained my reasons.

They told me yesterday that I can't stay in my 2nd placement just because I prefer that school to the other. And well, it's not exactly just that, there are many reasons why I think my 2nd placement is going to help me much more in the future if I decide to pursue a career in education (which I didn't really want when I was in my first school)
It seems that there would have to be a big drama for them to allow me staying in my 2nd placement, and I don't want to complain but thinking about going back to my host school after Easter makes me depressed.

Anyway, sorry for the long text, I think I just needed to vent.
Anyone had a situation like this and managed to stay in their 2nd placement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending