The Student Room Group

what should i do? - university advice not having money to sit my a level exams

…………
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by schoolburner123
hi, so i’m a private candidate student who took a gap year. i’m currently studying psychology, Biology and Chemistry A level and it’s my first time studying this because i did health and social care btech and hated it.
i was planning to study Adult nursing in university but then changed my mind. Cause i thought, if im doing these big subjects i might aswell do a different degree. ( not saying that adult nursing is bad, but i wanted to do something more lab based) so i chose to study biomedical science in september of 2024.
studying these subjects alone have been very difficult because i’m doing a fast track because i didn’t want to go to uni in september 2025 i just feel like it’s too late for me so i wanted to go in 2024. my original year went in 2023.
i thought i was going to be able to sit my exams in my old school for free but they said that they didn’t accept private candidates exam even tho im an old student..
so i was searching for exam centres and they’ve all quoted me £1400+
bare in mind i didnt know there was an exam called a practical endorsements so now i have to pay £2798 but my family and i dont have that type of money.
is there anything i can do?

Get a loan? Get a part time job, even if that means delaying university until 2025?
Original post by ageshallnot
Get a loan? Get a part time job, even if that means delaying university until 2025?
i had a part time job but i couldn’t continue working there as i was going through racism in the work place. and i also can’t study and work at the same.
i might look further into taking out a loan. thanks & no i refuse to take another gap year.
(edited 1 month ago)
i had a part time job but i couldn’t continue working there as i was going through racism in the work place. and i also can’t study and work at the same.
i might look further into taking out a loan. thanks & no i refuse to take another gap year.

Ok, but be aware that refusing to take a second gap year cuts down your options. Good luck.
Original post by ageshallnot
Ok, but be aware that refusing to take a second gap year cuts down your options. Good luck.

how & why would it cut down my options?
Because you don’t have the funds to retake your exams at the next sitting.
Original post by username6854689

Taking an extra year and working gives you the funds you need for your exams. Not considering that possibility therefore removes one option.
(edited 1 month ago)
Always nice when a thread starter deletes their account after wasting everyone’s time.
Original post by Admit-One
Always nice when a thread starter deletes their account after wasting everyone’s time.
They've left it late to find this out - they'll be charged late fees anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest