The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
White_redrose
^^^^ Lol, same here! I have so many plans for the lovely day when I finish the exams... I keep buying books but have handed them all to my mum, as if they are in my room I have very little self-control, lol. Good luck with your exams! *fingers crossed* for us all! Where are you headed after exams (I presume you are taking A2s?)

Newcastle firm AAB, Northumbria insurance BBC (for Psychology) - i'm stayin local but really hopin I get to move out. Can't believe you have Durham as ur insurance... was one of the worst days of my life when they rejected me! But then again Cambridge - suppose you can't refuse huh?
raven4723
Newcastle firm AAB, Northumbria insurance BBC (for Psychology) - i'm stayin local but really hopin I get to move out. Can't believe you have Durham as ur insurance... was one of the worst days of my life when they rejected me! But then again Cambridge - suppose you can't refuse huh?

Newcastle and Northumbria are lovely! :smile: One of my friends is heading up to Northumbria next year.
Lol. I do really really like Durham, and was agonising for aaages over Cambridge, York and Durham (the offers I was most taken with) and after much deliberation I picked Cam in the end. The course does look amazing, plus all the other benefits - I thought I should at least give it a go - if I hadn't accepted them, I'd probably always be wondering "what if?" etc.
Reply 62
White_redrose
Newcastle and Northumbria are lovely! :smile: One of my friends is heading up to Northumbria next year.
Lol. I do really really like Durham, and was agonising for aaages over Cambridge, York and Durham (the offers I was most taken with) and after much deliberation I picked Cam in the end. The course does look amazing, plus all the other benefits - I thought I should at least give it a go - if I hadn't accepted them, I'd probably always be wondering "what if?" etc.

totally. doesn't mean i'm not jealous tho! but happy for u! durham n york both gave me the finger - i was gonna apply to oxford but i chickened out! maybe if that'd been on my app. they wud have given me a shot lol! all the best, rae
Reply 63
it's been very quiet in the TUdor loving history camp recently! Does everyone's affection wane after exams are over? Not you Whit_redrose - you're obviously a Tudor fan for life :biggrin:
nope Im a Tudor person but am at the mo revising for my final history paper on Mussolini.

Im doing history at uni and the course for the first is mainly Tudors because and in the words of the head of history "so many people do a Nazified version of A-level history these days"!!!!!!!!!
Reply 65
I still love the Tudors, especially compared to Henri IV. Dammit, why do I have so much more European than English history?
raven4723
it's been very quiet in the TUdor loving history camp recently! Does everyone's affection wane after exams are over? Not you Whit_redrose - you're obviously a Tudor fan for life :biggrin:

Hehe, that's true! *grins* well, am currently taking a break from Elizabeth I revision...exam tomorrow, eek!
vickytoria77
nope Im a Tudor person but am at the mo revising for my final history paper on Mussolini.

Im doing history at uni and the course for the first is mainly Tudors because and in the words of the head of history "so many people do a Nazified version of A-level history these days"!!!!!!!!!

Lucky you! I have a feeling my DoS next year (if I get into Cam) will try and steer me clear from the Tudors though, as they want studies to be broad. Hm...if I end up going to Durham though, I take a more in-depth look at Elizabeth the woman and the icon etc. I'm sure I'll manage to do some wherever I end up though. Good luck with your final paper! :smile:
Madelyn
I still love the Tudors, especially compared to Henri IV. Dammit, why do I have so much more European than English history?

Good to hear it, lol. Aw - I don't mind European hist but prefer English hist on the whole. Do you have many exams left?
Reply 69
I've found a street near my house called Tudor Street! How great's that?
Reply 70
I think there's a Tudor Square in Sheffield. They were quite important, after all. No more Tudors for me now. That's a rather depressing thought...
Reply 71
Hi,
My name's Charlie and I'm doing AQA history. I did Henry VII for AS level and am now doing Edward VI & Mary I (mid tudor crisis) and Elizabeth I for A2.
I am not as interested in the British side of history compared to the Totalitarian Regime side, but I was just wondering if there are any interesting books out there about the people I am studying for A2 which will give me some good extra background knowledge for my course!
Thanks!
Reply 72
zaf1986
He loves controversy. And is very arrogant.

Cambridge does 'rate' him, as does LSE where he taught for 25 years. Still, everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I'd probably agree. He gave a talk at college through a society (I'm at Oxford rather than Cambridge) and he was interesting but a bit too convinced that he knew everything and he couldn't possibly be wrong. One of his books was on a reading list we had and he is good in his own way but essentially he's a media historian. My tutor really did not approve of him - very amusing! I'm really annoyed that I've forgotten the truly scathing comment he made...
Reply 73
Also, no, the Tudor lovers have not disappeared! I love the Tudors, particularly Elizabeth despite her flaws. I didn't do any at A level apart from my personal study, but as soon as I got to uni guess what I picked! I have broadened my horizons though having discovered a previously dormant love of medieval history which I find completely fascinating. I've been studying that for the past 2 terms and it's fantastic. I'm still going back to the Tudors for my essay this summer tho... :wink:
Reply 74
Charlie, you're doing the same English history as me. Well, as I did (sob). Sounds like your European is different though...
Try reading any of the historians mentioned in this thread as a good starting-point! I personally don't like Starkey (are we discussing him now?), but he is interesting and can be quite amusing, plus his books are easily available. Susan Doran, on a more (in my opinion) academic level, makes good points, especially concerning Elizabethan foreign policy. Christopher Haigh (whose second name I just had to look up...clearly they were right about forgetting everything the minute exams end) is a very useful chap to quote: as a revisionist he offers a slightly different view of Elizabeth. MAR Graves has a good book on Elizabethan parliaments. John Guy is brilliant, as is Geoffrey Elton (he has a knighthood! That made me so happy!). Um...that should keep you busy for a while.
Madelyn
I think there's a Tudor Square in Sheffield. They were quite important, after all. No more Tudors for me now. That's a rather depressing thought...

Aww :frown: you can still read about them/study them for fun though! Even if I don't get the chance to do much Tudor-related study at Cam/Durham I'll still try and keep up with my Tudor reading.
Reply 76
Dizzykiki
I'm really annoyed that I've forgotten the truly scathing comment he made...

He loves slating off everyone with a different view to him, everyone from Sir JE Neale to Geoffrey Elton.
Dizzykiki
Also, no, the Tudor lovers have not disappeared! I love the Tudors, particularly Elizabeth despite her flaws. I didn't do any at A level apart from my personal study, but as soon as I got to uni guess what I picked! I have broadened my horizons though having discovered a previously dormant love of medieval history which I find completely fascinating. I've been studying that for the past 2 terms and it's fantastic. I'm still going back to the Tudors for my essay this summer tho... :wink:

Yay, another Elizabeth I fan! :biggrin: Ooh, what medieval history have you been studying? Tis something I'm hoping to look at more in the future.
Reply 78
I miss history... :bawling:
If it wasn't for my true love of Psychology I would have taken it at uni!
Maybe if I don't get my grades I should try and do a combined course through clearing...
I just found out that a bonfire parade in Lewis where my aunt lives is a commemoration of Mary I's burnings - I'm sure anyone who knows about the parade knows this but I just found out... i want one here!
Reply 79
zaf1986
He loves slating off everyone with a different view to him, everyone from Sir JE Neale to Geoffrey Elton.

Doesn't everyone love slating off Neale? :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending