The Student Room Group

Juggling working full time and studying......finances and time

I'm in my 40's and I work in a secondary school. I have started a degree with the Open University (60 credits). I can get a tuition loan but because it's distance learning not a maintenance loan. I am really struggling financially as I'm a single parent on a teaching assistants wage currently.

I have considered transferring to a brick uni in order that I qualify for the maintenance loan. However the nearest if a 90 minute commute each way and realistically I can't make lectures in term time.

Will I get penalised for not attending lectures if I'm doing well generally?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Reply 1
Original post by CW1976
I'm in my 40's and I work in a secondary school. I have started a degree with the Open University (60 credits). I can get a tuition loan but because it's distance learning not a maintenance loan. I am really struggling financially as I'm a single parent on a teaching assistants wage currently.
I have considered transferring to a brick uni in order that I qualify for the maintenance loan. However the nearest if a 90 minute commute each way and realistically I can't make lectures in term time.
Will I get penalised for not attending lectures if I'm doing well generally?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Universities do monitor attendance, and will notice if you're not attending -- no matter how well you're performing on the course. And bear in mind that university study is not just about the lectures; there are also things like seminars, tutorials, workshops, etc which are in smaller groups and where your absence will be much more noticeable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending