The Student Room Group

Independent Student

I’m looking to apply this year for uni. I am 23 years old and in full time employment earning 20-22k per year and have worked full time for the past 7 years. I live at home and pay my parents a minimal amount of rent. Would this count as independent student status? I’m struggling to find the answer and don’t want to give up full time employment to be struggling financially at uni. Thanks.
Original post by Bonniesummer
I’m looking to apply this year for uni. I am 23 years old and in full time employment earning 20-22k per year and have worked full time for the past 7 years. I live at home and pay my parents a minimal amount of rent. Would this count as independent student status? I’m struggling to find the answer and don’t want to give up full time employment to be struggling financially at uni. Thanks.

Yes if you have been earning over minimum wage for 3 years then you would be classed as independent and your household income wouldn’t be based on your parents income.

Your loan might be lowered if you stay living with your parents during term time.
Original post by Bonniesummer

Hi there,

Yes, if you have 3 years of self support prior to the first day of your academic year you can apply to be assessed as an independent student. You can submit 3 years of evidence via your account (this doesn't need to be consecutive) for this to be reviewed. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending