The Student Room Group

Woodhouse Application.

Attention all Woodhouse current students and recent alumni!
Applications are open soon to apply for post-16 (Starting September 2024) and Woodhouse is one of my top choices so I hope I get accepted! I've heard that you have to write a personal statement as part of the post-16 application process but I'm not totally sure so can anyone clarify?

Also the school that I go to in North London staggers GCSEs so we do our language in y9, two options in y10 and the rest in year 11 so you end up doing one more GCSE than most schools, do you think this will give me an extra edge because I know Woodhouse is very oversubscribed and very competitive!

I did French GCSE in y9 but because I was an in year admission and only came 4 months before the exam, I scored a 5 but I did foundation tier. I did Geography and Psychology GCSEs in y10 which I got a 7 and 8 in, respectively.

I'm doing Separate sciences, English, Maths, Food and nutrition and Religious Studies this year, which I am predicted 8-9s in, do you think my French GCSE will pull my average point grade down?

I also want to do English literature, Chemistry and Biology A-levels, so any advice for that would be very much appreciated!!

Sorry for bombarding you guys lol
Thanks! :smile:
Nah i got a 5 in french foundation and my overall gcse average was 7.5, ppl got much lower than me and still got in you’ll be fine
Reply 2
Original post by harlequindoll
Nah i got a 5 in french foundation and my overall gcse average was 7.5, ppl got much lower than me and still got in you’ll be fine

thanks for the reassurance lol wdym ppl got in with low scores? I know you got rlly high so obvi you got in but like others how did they get in? Isn’t it really competitive ? Like everyone in my year wants to go but I live the closest lol
Reply 3
Original post by m1sk1
Attention all Woodhouse current students and recent alumni!
Applications are open soon to apply for post-16 (Starting September 2024) and Woodhouse is one of my top choices so I hope I get accepted! I've heard that you have to write a personal statement as part of the post-16 application process but I'm not totally sure so can anyone clarify?

Also the school that I go to in North London staggers GCSEs so we do our language in y9, two options in y10 and the rest in year 11 so you end up doing one more GCSE than most schools, do you think this will give me an extra edge because I know Woodhouse is very oversubscribed and very competitive!

I did French GCSE in y9 but because I was an in year admission and only came 4 months before the exam, I scored a 5 but I did foundation tier. I did Geography and Psychology GCSEs in y10 which I got a 7 and 8 in, respectively.

I'm doing Separate sciences, English, Maths, Food and nutrition and Religious Studies this year, which I am predicted 8-9s in, do you think my French GCSE will pull my average point grade down?

I also want to do English literature, Chemistry and Biology A-levels, so any advice for that would be very much appreciated!!

Sorry for bombarding you guys lol
Thanks! :smile:

Hey there, i recently graduated at this college. For the application process, it is a personal statement. From what i recall, your personal statement could be average (obviously make it good). With your predicted grades, they look pretty sick, but from what i remember they do prioritise your final GCSE grades. And with your school giving u an extra gcse, that could be a doubled ended sword cuz it could either boost your overall average GCSE Grades. For your French predicted, i dont think it'll matter since all your other predicted are strong. Btw im not too sure what the requirements are for chem and bio since you do separate science.

Since im a bad waffler, ill just summarise it:
You need to at minimum meet the grade requirements to the A Levels your picking AND on top of that i believe your entire final GCSE average should be a 6 or 7. You should at minimum have 6/10 personal statement. Also dont worry if you felt like you didnt get accepted around when GCSE results day happens even if you did meet the requirements. They tend to give people with the higher averages placements first (fingers crossed your one of em).

All in all, gl w ur application and hopefully you get in.:h:
Reply 4
Original post by phenhoe
Hey there, i recently graduated at this college. For the application process, it is a personal statement. From what i recall, your personal statement could be average (obviously make it good). With your predicted grades, they look pretty sick, but from what i remember they do prioritise your final GCSE grades. And with your school giving u an extra gcse, that could be a doubled ended sword cuz it could either boost your overall average GCSE Grades. For your French predicted, i dont think it'll matter since all your other predicted are strong. Btw im not too sure what the requirements are for chem and bio since you do separate science.

Since im a bad waffler, ill just summarise it:
You need to at minimum meet the grade requirements to the A Levels your picking AND on top of that i believe your entire final GCSE average should be a 6 or 7. You should at minimum have 6/10 personal statement. Also dont worry if you felt like you didnt get accepted around when GCSE results day happens even if you did meet the requirements. They tend to give people with the higher averages placements first (fingers crossed your one of em).

All in all, gl w ur application and hopefully you get in.:h:

i just found out separate science is triple science, nm your all g.
Reply 5
Original post by phenhoe
i just found out separate science is triple science, nm your all g.

haha thank you lol btw I already achieved my French, geo and psychology GCSEs and my predicted kinda dropped to 7-8s is that still okay? Also how do you write a personal statement ?
Reply 6
Original post by m1sk1
haha thank you lol btw I already achieved my French, geo and psychology GCSEs and my predicted kinda dropped to 7-8s is that still okay? Also how do you write a personal statement ?

Pretty sure Ur predicted dropping should still be all g since they don't affect Ur requirements to do Ur 3 alevels.

As your ps, have an introduction talkin bout Ur 3 subjects an slightly suck up to it saying how u enjoy it, what surprises u about it an maybe try link all of it together.
Then talk about why you would love to apply to whouse, talk about it's diversity, range of societies etc. Link how tough whouse college is to Ur character eg sayin Ur resilient.
Have one section talking about your strengths and Ur biggest achievement.
Then have a section talking about your career ambitions, try link it back to studyin at those 3 a levels at whouse and what skills u can gain from it to help u in Ur career.
Then just have interests n activities (try put this in the middle)

I'm not too sure if they do interviews since I applied during the covid era, but try not to overexagerate, if there is an interview. Also chatgpt helps a lot now.
Reply 7
Original post by phenhoe
Pretty sure Ur predicted dropping should still be all g since they don't affect Ur requirements to do Ur 3 alevels.

As your ps, have an introduction talkin bout Ur 3 subjects an slightly suck up to it saying how u enjoy it, what surprises u about it an maybe try link all of it together.
Then talk about why you would love to apply to whouse, talk about it's diversity, range of societies etc. Link how tough whouse college is to Ur character eg sayin Ur resilient.
Have one section talking about your strengths and Ur biggest achievement.
Then have a section talking about your career ambitions, try link it back to studyin at those 3 a levels at whouse and what skills u can gain from it to help u in Ur career.
Then just have interests n activities (try put this in the middle)

I'm not too sure if they do interviews since I applied during the covid era, but try not to overexagerate, if there is an interview. Also chatgpt helps a lot now.

Thank you so much your litch such a saviour I’m featuring you in my graduation speech for uni or something icl 😫
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by m1sk1
thanks for the reassurance lol wdym ppl got in with low scores? I know you got rlly high so obvi you got in but like others how did they get in? Isn’t it really competitive ? Like everyone in my year wants to go but I live the closest lol

Well im talking like a 6.5 average, also i knew someone who didn't meet the grades but they may be willing to accommodate if you say how you really want to go and show evidence of interest in the subject

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending