The Student Room Group

Am I overreacting?

Hi,

Do you think I have the right to be mad at my dad for saying one mean thing?

My dad called me down to ask me if I could polish the glass in the house but at the time I was doing a test. I told him I was doing a test and could do it later but I probably would need another 4 hours for my test. When I walked away from the conversation he called me a ‘skank’. I look up to my dad and usually we get on really well so I know he doesn’t mean it but it still made me really upset but I feel guilty for being mad at him.

Am I overreacting or do I have a right to be upset?
Reply 1
I’d say you have a right to be upset. You can’t call someone names or insult someone thinking that they won’t feel hurt by it.
Did he apologise?
Reply 2
No he joked about it later on in the day then ultimately we just kinda both moved on and ignored it happened.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
No he joked about it later on in the day then ultimately we just kinda both moved on and ignored it happened.

Well, I'm glad it got sorted out 🙂
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,
Do you think I have the right to be mad at my dad for saying one mean thing?
My dad called me down to ask me if I could polish the glass in the house but at the time I was doing a test. I told him I was doing a test and could do it later but I probably would need another 4 hours for my test. When I walked away from the conversation he called me a ‘skank’. I look up to my dad and usually we get on really well so I know he doesn’t mean it but it still made me really upset but I feel guilty for being mad at him.
Am I overreacting or do I have a right to be upset?

U have a right to be upset but maybe it was the stress of ur test that got to u. If u truly feel guilty for being mad at him just tell him exactly that, im sure you'll be fine
Your feelings are completely valid, that's not the sort of thing I'd expect a father to say to his daughter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending