The Student Room Group

How is it acceptable to have a go at someone due to them being 'thin'?

I really hate it when people do this! I'm a size 6/8 and I've never considered myself remarkably thin at all (I'm 5ft3) but I got told by a woman recently that I looked 'weirdly thin' and she kept commenting on it the whole night!

I also have a friend who is naturally a size 4-6 and 5ft9 and has been called 'anorexic' - and she eats more than anyone I know!

I don't know how this is considered as more acceptable than calling someone 'fat', it's still insulting someone because of how much they weigh!

Scroll to see replies

it shouldnt be done to strangers, but if you think a friends getting ridiculously thin, then yeh its fine to say something (in a nice way)

EDIT: btw, the only girl i've said something to was below a 'size 0' and she's a good friend
Probably reads the daily mail and thinks the entire female population are at risk of spontaneous starvation. Bless her.
A size 4-6 and 5'9- are you sure? :eek:
Reply 4
Size 4-6 at 5'9" must look bloody repulsive. Frankly below a 10 at any height is ugly. It's seen as you pandering into the popular cultural ideal; there has been a reaction against it lately amongst women, and men have always liked women with curves rather than protruding ribs.
Your friend is far too thin.

As for your question, is isn't really the same, fat people get it far worse than thin people.

When people say you look too thin, it is normally in concern for your health, incase you have some sort of eating disorder, where as 'you're fat' is normally just an insult, it's only when obesity kicks in that people start with the health comments.

Like most things in life, you ignore it, get over it and move on.
Reply 6
Nah people think it's ok to remark on thin people because it's "not as offensive" as being called fat, apparently. Even though it is. My best friend is 5ft 10 and she wears a size 8 and is reaaally thin and people always refer to her as "that lass that looks anorexic" which she finds really offensive. I think it's as insulting as saying "look at that fat girl over there". It's not really acceptable imo.
Blátönn
Size 4-6 at 5'9" must look bloody repulsive. Frankly below a 10 at any height is ugly. It's seen as you pandering into the popular cultural ideal; there has been a reaction against it lately amongst women, and men have always liked women with curves rather than protruding ribs.

Wtf?! As if ... I'm 5ft and a size 8 and I look fine; not too thin :rolleyes:
Reply 8
I call my friend a skinny bitch, she calls me a fat cow. However that's not having a go at her, she's naturally thin and i'm greedy, so it's fun. I do not agree with "having a go" at someone for being thin, even if you think there's something wrong, it doesn't help.
Reply 9
wahoo this is my first post on the student room.
anyway, i also am 5 foot 3 and also am a size 6. to the person who said anyone below a size 10 is ugly- thats a load of crap. sizes are to do with the shape of your body too. im not wide, but still do have curves and boobs, even as a size 6. and i also have a friend who is size 10 but very short, probably jst 5 foot, maybe less, and for her height, she does look overweight. so i really dont agree with your comment.
and to the person who started this thread, i do get where you're coming from. i find it irritating when people say i need to eat more, as i eat like a pig already, however i dnt find it offensive.
Reply 10
oo_Lucinda_oo
Your friend is far too thin.
QUOTE]

That's the thing though! She's perfectly healthy, and she doesn't look emaciated or ill at all as she has quite a small frame for a tall girl, i.e theres no scary pertruding ribs or anything - she just has no boobs bless her!
Reply 11
Blátönn

Lol **** off. If a girl is 4 ft 11/5ft at a size 10 she'd be slightly chubby, mr wise guy. Don't worry op I'm a size 6/8 and 5ft 3. x
Reply 12
If it's really getting to you pretend to have a medical condition that's causing it. That will shut them up really fast.

Although size 4? I never even heard of that...eat some chicken and knock back some protein shakes and go to the gym :smile:
Yeah. Someone that thin should fatten up pronto.
Reply 14
Because most people think of being thin as a good thing. So I guess people do it to show them not everyone thinks this and therefore they should try to be healthier. I think people worry that thin people are being thin on purpose and that they have a need to be thin. Ignorance, of course, as many people are just naturally thin. But I think in general it's rooted in concern for that person's health.
I have a friend who is very thin. She is 5'3" and size 6. She undoubtedly eats more than me and just has very fast metabolism. In fact I would say she is quite lucky as she can pretty much eat what she likes and not worry about her weight. People do comment about her size and also about her lack of boobs which I think is just plain rude. She gets quite upset about it. Her reaction to this has been to be quite quirky in how she dresses and things. Not sure it helped but that is the effect it has had on her.

So is it acceptable. Absolutely not. You are who you are. You look like what you look like. People who question or comment on this are this showing there ignorance.

Kerry
Blátönn
Size 4-6 at 5'9" must look bloody repulsive. Frankly below a 10 at any height is ugly.

Frankly I find your attitude rather ugly too.

Different women are naturally different sizes. OK size 4-6 at 5ft9 does sound incredibly tiny (are you sure about those sizings OP?!) but if she's eating healthily then there's not much she can do about it.

I'm 5ft and a size 6-8 but I'm in proportion, just petite. I eat shedloads (more than some guys I know) and am fit and healthy. And in the past I've been called anorexic and it can be hurtful...

So I agree with you OP.
Reply 17
This old man stopped me in the street once and said I looked ill and should get some meat on my bones, and my sis when she was probably about a size 16 age 13 would always cause people to tell my mum she should put her on a diet, why does she let her be this way?!
So what i'm really saying lol, is that it's completely offensive and outta order for people to insult your appearance, for whatever reason, and with whatever the 'best intentions.'

To say tall people who are 4-6 are repuslive is just narrow minded and rude - if these are your personal preferences, please consider the affect your words could have on other peoples confidence before you speak them! I know some incredibly beautiful girls (guys too) who are sooooo tall and skinny.
Blátönn

But how can you presume she has protruding ribs based on her dress size? you can't know these things from a dress size. at all.
Reply 19
I don't really think it is as bad as being called fat or being overweight and being constantly reminded of it. When you are thin you can move easily and are healthy (unless you really are too thin), being too overweight is already harder without the insults.

I have been called too thin a few times. I also happen to have quite a large bone frame for my size (well, not large, but my bones are bigger and more noticeable than friends who are a similar size to me), so my collar bone especially protrudes a lot... But, it doesn't really get mentioned that often and when it does I'm not hurt or insulted. If I was overweight I think it would hurt more.

Latest