The Student Room Group

University of Chester popular music course

I've just posted this on the general board but it's more likely to be read here isn't it?
So. Has anyone (who's picked this obviously) had an offer yet? I've been given an audition date of January 17th. I know it's a long way off yet but anyone who is singing, got any plans of what song?
I'm curious, this is more aimed at people who've already been through this process, would it be good to sing one of my own songs so they know I do write songs as well? And it'll be original so they won't be bored while I'm there because a lot of people sing the same song don't they, but if I do one of my own then no one else will have.
Also, should I make a backing track (if it's my own song, I can just get a karaoke track if doing someone else's) or sing to guitar or piano/keyboard? Playing an instrument would show that I can play other instruments, but they might think that I'm aiming to do an instrument instead of singing. Or I might accidentally perform better with the instrument and they'll tell me to do that instead! I'd be crushed! Haha.
Anyway, thanks for all or any help, I know it's a bit long-winded but thanks for reading.
Reply 1
My brother is busy auditioning for jazz at conservatoires but did look at pop options a while back.

I think you've already worked out the answers for yourself but here's my 2 cents worth.

From his experiences, I'd say own composition (provided it's good, get some feedback from someone who knows and won't flatter you). And definitely accompany yourself. Lots of singers don't have keyboard/guitar skills and that will make you a stronger candidate.

I haven't heard of the Chester course but guess it isn't as competitive as LIPA, Salford, or LCM. So, don't worry too much about the audition. You have a good chance.

Good luck

Latest