The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Danny_AQA
you are obviously a person of low intelegance!!!

Obviously. :rolleyes:
Reply 41
Danny_AQA
crana, that is rubbish, you are obviously a person of low intelegance!!!

I bet Crana could spell 'intelligence' though :wink:

6 posts in and you're being abusive already.... niiiice.
crana9
half the people that apply, at least, are idiots.

and i know several people who got accepted and are still idiots.

You will notice I never said it was easy. I said it was not THAT difficult and was hardly impossible, but not that it was "easy" per se.

no one said it was impossible either...
Reply 43
Elles
they're already got their GEP offers have they? :wink:

that may be their plan - but easier said than done.. apparently GEP entry is far more competitive than school leaver (Fluffy will no doubt know more.. :hello: ) & 'merely' having a BSc in Biomedicine may not stand up to much against the people with years of experience in a health care setting, or those with masters & even PhDs etc.

:hello:

GEP is about 20 times more competative that applying to 5 years as a school leaver.

IMHO applying to 5 year courses as a grad gives you better odds that doing so as a school leaver. Having said that, I know several of grads with 1sts and 2i's (even from Oxford), who have been applying year in year our for both GEPs and 5 year courses who still haven't been given a break yet....

BTW - according to two medicine admissions officers I know and an Oxford atutor, biomedicine is the worst degree you can do if you want to get into a GEP that doesn't have an entrance exam, they like things like a whole degree in anatomy (the best degree you can do to give your application a boost), pharmacology, etc. rather than the bitty approach of biomed sci...
Reply 44
haha, i am not being abusive atall, its the fact that people can come here and slate people who, for some reason or another cant get accepted! BTW, english isn't my strong point, thats biology A* ;-)

people who want to be doctors shouldn't be put off by people with their heads up their as*es. If you want to do it, go for it, and here is an interesting fact

**** MORE THAN 50% OF DOCTORS IN THE NHS GAIN QUALIFICATIONS ABROAD ****
Reply 45
...and only 20% of people who take PLAB 2 pass.....

It costs a fortune and you have to be **** hot to get through it.....
Reply 46
Fluffy
...and only 20% of people who take PLAB 2 pass.....

It costs a fortune and you have to be **** hot to get through it.....

on the other hand, as i said before, any EEA/EU member countries, medical registration is automatic, solong as you have accepted a post, you will be granted 5 years limited registration.

SO NO NEED TO SIT THE PLAB 1 OR 2!!!
Reply 47
Danny_AQA
haha, i am not being abusive atall, its the fact that people can come here and slate people who, for some reason or another cant get accepted! BTW, english isn't my strong point, thats biology A* ;-)

A* Biology? Jesus Christ! What an accomplishment! You must be one of the only people in the country to have that :eek:
Reply 48
can i just say, as i am a new member, maybe i should keep my head down as some people have found previous posts offensive, so for that i am saying SORRY :-)
please accept this, as the last thing i want to do is get peoples backs up!!!

SORRY PEOPLE OF WHOME I HAVE OFFENDED!

:biggrin: ;-)
Reply 49
you haven't offended me, fear not.
crana9
half the people that apply, at least, are idiots.

and i know several people who got accepted and are still idiots.

You will notice I never said it was easy. I said it was not THAT difficult and was hardly impossible, but not that it was "easy" per se.

I have to agree- one of my friends didn't even know what an ECG is [when asked at interview] and still got a place at Leicester. And its not like the rest of her application is stellar [e.g. AAAB prediction, 5a*3a2b1c GCSE, AAB prediction for A2]
tomcoolinguk
I have to agree- one of my friends didn't even know what an ECG is [when asked at interview] and still got a place at Leicester. And its not like the rest of her application is stellar [e.g. AAAB prediction, 5a*3a2b1c GCSE, AAB prediction for A2]

it's not just about academic records..
lame
it's not just about academic records..

That being my point; a crappy interview and a fairly mundane academic record- yet she still got in.
Reply 53
tomcoolinguk

It is true, thats why uni's don't just go off academic results :tsr:
Reply 54
Danny_AQA

If they did that, you would stand NO chance, with your B in physics:wink:
Reply 55
Danny_AQA

heck, she didn't know what an ECG was either.

To be honest, no amount of voluntary work and what-have-you can make up for a basic lack of intelligence. If someone can't cope with A-levels (getting 3 As at A level is not exactly a challenge now..), they are likely to struggle with med school, unless they somehow metamorphose between leaving school and starting uni.

Personally, I think there are plenty of people applying who have both the academic results and the work experience, volunteering, vocational outlook etc required. There's no need to pick people who don't excel in both.
Reply 56
visesh
If they did that, you would stand NO chance, with your B in physics:wink:

But he has an A* in biology!!!!!! It's in his sig!!!!!!!!!
Reply 57
crana9
But he has an A* in biology!!!!!! It's in his sig!!!!!!!!!

That beats my A. Should I give him my place?
Reply 58
Danny_AQA
on the other hand, as i said before, any EEA/EU member countries, medical registration is automatic, solong as you have accepted a post, you will be granted 5 years limited registration.

SO NO NEED TO SIT THE PLAB 1 OR 2!!!

I know!!!!

But you said outside the EEA all you have to do was pass PLAB 1 and 2... It's a VERY big 'all'
Reply 59
visesh
That beats my A. Should I give him my place?

Well, I dunno you know, academic results aren't really relevant as long as you have compassionate feelings towards others and have watched Casualty a few times.

Latest