The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Glasgow Uni has 3,400 rooms available in first year. They've never ran out of rooms yet, so you should be fine. On top of that theres the private halls, about £5 a week more expensive, but a bit more plush, and still full of first/second years.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
0404343m
Glasgow Uni has 3,400 rooms available in first year. They've never ran out of rooms yet, so you should be fine. On top of that theres the private halls, about £5 a week more expensive, but a bit more plush, and still full of first/second years.

Are the private halls run by Unite?
I went to Glasgow Uni and lived in Queen Margaret halls from 2nd-3rd year. They are honestly the best of the bunch. Clean, IKEA minimalist style, ensuite bathroom, free laundry room.

Murano Street is horrible, lots of my friends (and my ex) lived there. 12 people to a (mouldy, peed in) shower. And it was forever in the student paper because of no electricity, no water etc for weeks. Rather unfair seeing as you pay for all these "privileges". Hopefully they will have fixed those issues since 2006 when I graduated.
Reply 23
HyperBrain
Are the private halls run by Unite?

Theres another mob aswell im sure, but all the main ones are, yeah.
Reply 24
brideoflichtenstein
I went to Glasgow Uni and lived in Queen Margaret halls from 2nd-3rd year. They are honestly the best of the bunch. Clean, IKEA minimalist style, ensuite bathroom, free laundry room.

Murano Street is horrible, lots of my friends (and my ex) lived there. 12 people to a (mouldy, peed in) shower. And it was forever in the student paper because of no electricity, no water etc for weeks. Rather unfair seeing as you pay for all these "privileges". Hopefully they will have fixed those issues since 2006 when I graduated.

I lived there in 2005, and yes, its been substanstially upgraded since then, but still isn't anyhwere near QM. It took about three years to get from one side to the other, hence there was the running joke about living in the 'nice' end of Murano, and the rubbish one.
0404343m
I lived there in 2005, and yes, its been substanstially upgraded since then, but still isn't anyhwere near QM. It took about three years to get from one side to the other, hence there was the running joke about living in the 'nice' end of Murano, and the rubbish one.

I think my bad experiences may have been exacerbated by the fact I was mostly staying over with my ex in one of the boys' flats. That makes bathroom conditions and mess 10x worse. :biggrin: We also got the odd junkie walking by the window and looking in what with it being on the ground floor. Glad to hear things are looking up since then!
michael89mtb and 0404343m: thanks for the info! i always worry too much :dontknow:

If i end up at Glasgow i definitely want self-catered and a single bedroom :redface: so i've been considering Murano and QM.. As there's post grads in QM as well will that mean more difficulties with having parties (complaints)..? How far are the QM halls from Murano?
Reply 27
QM halls are about a 20 minute walk from Murano I'd say.
I live smack bang in the middle of the two and i'd say it's about 10 minutes to each
Even though I've never actually been to either for some reason. maybe i'm just antisocial

you could also try hillhead street maybe? That's where both my flatmates stayed in first year and they were a 1 minute walk to the library, and only 5 minutes from lectures.
Hi everyone.
I have sent my application away for accomodation.
My first four choices are;

Caircross Single
5 Flat Murano
Large Cairncross Single
10-12 Murano

Basically, I know Murano is pretty much the most social halls of residence, with parties going on most of the time etc...
However, how does Cairncross compare? Is it quiet, in bed with lights out every night by 10pm kinda set up? Or similar to Murano just on a lesser scale?
I know it would be easy enough to go to parties at Murano but..
So in summary, if anyone could compare the two halls and tell me what they would choose and why, that would be great.

Thanks
munn
you could also try hillhead street maybe? That's where both my flatmates stayed in first year and they were a 1 minute walk to the library, and only 5 minutes from lectures.

There's a high chance you have to share there as there's only a few single rooms.
ahh okay thanks for all the info! and then another question, how are the different accommodations situated from sports facilities? As i've understood the stevensons building (?) has a gym and some other stuff, is it very far from e.g. Murano or QM halls?
Reply 31
keepoffthelawn
ahh okay thanks for all the info! and then another question, how are the different accommodations situated from sports facilities? As i've understood the stevensons building (?) has a gym and some other stuff, is it very far from e.g. Murano or QM halls?

Murano and QM are both a good 20 minutes from the gym, perhaps more. Wolfson halls are about three million miles from campus, but are situated right next to the vet school and University sports grounds, and theres another gym there. Cairncross is the closest to the gym, about 10 minutes or so. The gym itself is right behind one of the unions, the GUU. Its a cracking gym though, much better than the other unis anywhere near here and about a third of the price for membership too.
0404343m
Murano and QM are both a good 20 minutes from the gym, perhaps more. Wolfson halls are about three million miles from campus, but are situated right next to the vet school and University sports grounds, and theres another gym there. Cairncross is the closest to the gym, about 10 minutes or so. The gym itself is right behind one of the unions, the GUU. Its a cracking gym though, much better than the other unis anywhere near here and about a third of the price for membership too.

sound good then! i mean, 20minutes isn't even that bad really.. :smile: its going to be difficult to decide where to apply tho!
Reply 33
Greetings all,

I'm an American postgraduate student who will attend Glasgow's MLitt in European Cinema 2009-2010. I am in the process of applying for housing, and I'm torn between Queen Margaret and Kelvinhaugh Gate. I have all the details of each place - en-suite, student residents, etc... - but I am curious as to the location of each residence. I know QM is NW of the Uni. and KG is S/SE, but is KG still considered West End? What is the area surrounding KG like? It sounds like QM is located smack-dab in the West End, but I like that KG is a little closer to City Center (I plan on utilizing the Glasgow Film Theatre a lot). Does anybody have any thoughts on which is preferable? Thank you very much in advance.
Reply 34
billthekid
Greetings all,

I'm an American postgraduate student who will attend Glasgow's MLitt in European Cinema 2009-2010. I am in the process of applying for housing, and I'm torn between Queen Margaret and Kelvinhaugh Gate. I have all the details of each place - en-suite, student residents, etc... - but I am curious as to the location of each residence. I know QM is NW of the Uni. and KG is S/SE, but is KG still considered West End? What is the area surrounding KG like? It sounds like QM is located smack-dab in the West End, but I like that KG is a little closer to City Center (I plan on utilizing the Glasgow Film Theatre a lot). Does anybody have any thoughts on which is preferable? Thank you very much in advance.

None of the halls are smack in the middle of the west end. QM halls are closest to GW road, but you're a good bit up away from the University. Cairncross and Kelvinhaugh are closest to the city centre and also closest to the University by a few minutes, but all of them are much of a muchness away from the main heart of the west end, around Byres road. If money is no object, go for QM, they're the nicest- although I'm sure more postgrads live next door in Winton Drive. If you don't want halls, the student apartments on Hillhead st are the best location in regards to proximity of the University, as its only a hundred yards or so from the library.
0404343m

How much does it cost? *has a New Years resolution that when going to uni is going to start a healthier lifestyle, or something or at least workout on a semi-regular basis*
Reply 36
hopeneverfades
How much does it cost? *has a New Years resolution that when going to uni is going to start a healthier lifestyle, or something or at least workout on a semi-regular basis*

Haha, Uni and healthy lifestyle are definitely not compatible... Anyway it was £35 for the year last year, and we have £10million worth of facilites. The other two have nothing like that, yet still charge nearer to £100.
Does anybody have any information on living in halls for second year? (I have lived at home for 1st year). And also what about getting a privately rented flat?
slightly off-topic: Do any of you know if there's any banksys in the city? i've heard so, just wondering if any of them are still there, or? would be cool :smile:
are the accommodation places likely to go quickly?
i'm thinking of looking at them at the applicants day, but i'm slightly worried about the popular choices.
murano should have space for a while right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending