The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Glasgow Accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
hey i see many of you have applied for large flats ? why so ? i thought that small flats are more comfortable ? oh and btw i have several classmates who are going to study in glasgow uni with me and i am wondering if we can get a flat or the university automatically fits you with other people? any1 knows? :PPPP
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 581
martin91
hey i see many of you have applied for large flats ? why so ? i thought that small flats are more comfortable ? oh and btw i have several classmates who are going to study in glasgow uni with me and i am wondering if we can get a flat or the university automatically fits you with other people? any1 knows? :PPPP

You have to request the accommodation office to have your friends allocated with you.

If not now, once you get to Glasgow, you could request them to put you with your friends by filling an application form.
martin91

1 Bigger kitchen
2. cleaner
3. bath
4. more people (you could be put with 4 weirdos/ppl you just dont get along with)
5. Seriously you do not want to sahre with your classmates, it's way better if you all make new mates so then more people will join your little gang, instead of 4/5 of you ahnging around, in the same flat and not meeting neewbiees the same! (this out of experience, my mate was in the same flat as my other mate, they did amke some new mates, but one dropped out afterr 4 months and the one whos stilla t uni has now made a lot more friends and is glad the pther dropped out)
Reply 583
thank you guys :smile: cheers ! lol selfish friend dwin :biggrin: No seriously,I think you are right,in the following week well decide what to do :} Oh and 1 more question ....Do all 12 people share the same bathroom and toilet in the larger flats ?
does anyone know what supermarkets / food shops are nearest QM halls?
LouisVuitton43

Hmm Waitrose! I don't know what others.
Reply 586
LouisVuitton43

Waitrose, Iceland!, but what'll most likely feature prominently to most people will be the M&S right round from Byres Road and 2 mins from the library
There's a Tesco on Byres Road too..
Moved out of Murano large flats last week. I was ready to go but it was an amazing experience and the most unforgettable year of my life, so get your applications in :P
Pepperoni
There's a Tesco on Byres Road too..
Moved out of Murano large flats last week. I was ready to go but it was an amazing experience and the most unforgettable year of my life, so get your applications in :P

All the worrying about actually getting in seems a long way off now, doesn't it? Murano was amazing, but when you go back for the odd party the following year you realise that the time was right to move on. If I come back to Glasgow I'm not going into halls again- there was a time for that and I left it behind four years ago. I'm not going to lie though, the prospect of walking further with shopping is not something I'm relishing- it's already flaming miles to the nearest big supermarket from my college. I might just blow my research salary on getting a car and to hell with it. Glasgow are currently winning on the oneupmanship over Oxford anyway, they've offered me an office. Across from the main gates. I'm totally just moving in there.
Reply 589
martin91
thank you guys :smile: cheers ! lol selfish friend dwin :biggrin: No seriously,I think you are right,in the following week well decide what to do :} Oh and 1 more question ....Do all 12 people share the same bathroom and toilet in the larger flats ?

I think there are 2 bathrooms and 3 toilets. Not 100% sure though.
I wish we had our flat/room numbers beforehand...
Just random question is it only 1st year students stay in halls or there r sum other year students that live in halls ?
neringutia
Just random question is it only 1st year students stay in halls or there r sum other year students that live in halls ?

Yep, Kelvinhaugh Gate, Winton Drive and MacLay are all open to postgraduates and later year students. Maybe others too, I'm not sure. Murano, QM, Cairncross and Wolfson are only for 1st year undergraduates as far as I know, unless things have changed.
Reply 593
Murano, QM, Cairncross and Wolfson are supposed to be for entirely first years, but with the exception of maybe Wolfson you'll find quite a few international students that are there on exchange and aren't first years. They're usually lumped together in flats or in the case of Cairncross, assigned the same kitchens.
Reply 594
Positive
I think there are 2 bathrooms and 3 toilets. Not 100% sure though.

thanks.And what do you think of wolfson hall ???? are there many freshers there ... is it a suitable place for a first year student ? :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:
martin91
thanks.And what do you think of wolfson hall ???? are there many freshers there ... is it a suitable place for a first year student ? :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

Depends what you're studying, Wolfson is good for Vets, but it's ages away from campus, much further than any of the other Halls of Residence. Most of the other hall are about 15-25 minutes away - Murano took me about 25 minutes to walk to, but then I was pretty ill for the majority of the time I lived there, so that's probably not an accurate depiction :p:
martin91

The Wolfson crowd tend to have a great time there, but it's catered, and thus is the most expensive halls. Right next to the Vet School and Sports Grounds, there's a regular bus that runs there to take you to and from campus every 30mins though. Every hall apart from it is 10-20 minutes away though tops, but it's a good 40minute walk- it's three miles from Campus. The buses stop running later on in the evening though, so if you have to get a taxi up there after a night out, it won't be cheap- and you can't just nip back to your room to have lunch, either.
Reply 597
Thank you guys.Really helpful information.So Murano street is the best one for 1rst year students? Am I right? I haven't been there yet...i still cant decide..grrr
Reply 598
martin91
Thank you guys.Really helpful information.So Murano street is the best one for 1rst year students? Am I right? I haven't been there yet...i still cant decide..grrr

Well it depends. Murano is the most social place from what I've read, so if you come from far away like me, or you're generally worried about being homesick, your best option is Murano :smile:. At least I hope to get a room there :smile: It's cheap as well. You have Tesco (supermarket) 10 minutes away by foot, university is 20 minutes away by foot, so it's located in a relatively good spot. The only problem might be the noise, cause I hear there are a lot of parties going on there, but you can get used to that (if it's even that bad). So I think it's a good choice. And remember, after all, you're only going to spend 9 months there, so at the end of the day it's not THAT crucial.
Reply 599
you are right :} where are u from ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending