The Student Room Group

Feedback from Durham

after the box turned black i was a bit upset, and after the flow of rhetoircal questions 'why though, i just dont understand why' i decided to ask that question to the admissions tutor for law, i just felt i needed to know what the 300 people who got offers had, (especially if i'm thinking of re-applying)...

the letter reads, unsurprisingly
'i am afriad that the main reason your application failed is simply because of the number of applicants we recieve. Our primary admissions criteria is AAA at Alevel and we reciened well over 1,000 applications of that standard...........to put it someone what crudely, even if an applicant has AAA, excellent GCSE's, a good LNAT score and an excellent reference, they still have at best a one-in-three chance of being made an offer.

so thats nice, but quite cliched (sorry i cant find the accent), here comes the sad bit :frown:
'the only problem with your application- and there were factors considered in your favour- was that the writing seemed to be a little forced. In both the LNAT essay and personal statement it looked like you were trying to hard to impress the reader' ouch

and here's the bit about re-application
'clearly no assurances can be gievn. However, the fact that you have applied to us before would be considered in your favour. Any academic work that you did would of course be beneficial, but taking a year out to earn money for uniiversity is fine too (well ide need it for top up fees :mad: ). In essence, as long as the time is spent productively then it should benefit your application.

totally worth writing a letter, loads of personal feedback and niec about the GAP year, which i know they have to be anyway but still
maybe this thread will help anyone who was a bit confused or upset, they used things like 'forced writing' to choose

Scroll to see replies

Wow, they actually included some personal comments!
Letter -> Durham if I get rejected!
Reply 2
SiAnY
Wow, they actually included some personal comments!
Letter -> Durham if I get rejected!

good luck with ur application! if you do get rejected (which i hope u dont ) then def go for the letter cause i thought they were really helpful
But the geog dept might not be as helpful as the law dept :wink:
Reply 4
SiAnY
But the geog dept might not be as helpful as the law dept :wink:

You must get this a million times a day (after all, everyone knows your after durham on this forum :wink: ), but good luck! I really hope you get an offer - you certainly deserve it (just for how much you want it!)
The English department are supposed to be writing to me. I rang them, and they said they'd ring me back. They didn't, so I rang them, and they said, rather sniffily, that they would write to me. I wonder what they'll say?
Lottelo
You must get this a million times a day (after all, everyone knows your after durham on this forum :wink: ), but good luck! I really hope you get an offer - you certainly deserve it (just for how much you want it!)

Aww thanks! :smile:
Reply 7
rosyposy
Our primary admissions criteria is AAA at Alevel and we reciened well over 1,000 applications of that standard...........to put it someone what crudely, even if an applicant has AAA, excellent GCSE's, a good LNAT score and an excellent reference, they still have at best a one-in-three chance of being made an offer.

I think we have our explanation for most of the rejections this year.
Reply 8
RachelBabyfrog
The English department are supposed to be writing to me. I rang them, and they said they'd ring me back. They didn't, so I rang them, and they said, rather sniffily, that they would write to me. I wonder what they'll say?

argh good luck, oxford blew me off (idiots) hope they're helpful :smile:
Lottelo
I think we have our explanation for most of the rejections this year.

That just makes it one huge lottery though, doesn't it?
Reply 10
SiAnY

complettely, and really frustrating when you try so hard!
SiAnY

Exactly. The "random" element of admissions (at not just durham, but other universities too, such as UCL) seems to becoming more and more prevalent this year.

I thought my grades were good enough to give me a realistic shot everywhere [7A*,3A, C at GCSE and AAAAA (geog, econ, maths, french, general studies) at AS], but it turns out every other student on this forum has exactly the same, and are in fact rather mediocre in comparison to many others; and consequently I only have offers from my insurance unis. There are many people who have managed to get into Oxbridge and have rejections elsewhere (Lillith Grimore has an offer at Cambridge, and a Durham rejection).

I think admissions are clogged with too many good candidates, making it, as you say a giant lottery.
Reply 12
Lottelo
Exactly. The "random" element of admissions (at not just durham, but other universities too, such as UCL) seems to becoming more and more prevalent this year.

I thought my grades were good enough to give me a realistic shot everywhere [7A*,3A, C at GCSE and AAAAA (geog, econ, maths, french, general studies) at AS], but it turns out every other student on this forum has exactly the same, and are in fact rather mediocre in comparison to many others; and consequently I only have offers from my insurance unis. There are many people who have managed to get into Oxbridge and have rejections elsewhere (Lillith Grimore has an offer at Cambridge, and a Durham rejection).

I think admissions are clogged with too many good candidates, making it, as you say a giant lottery.

SO true , and equally SO annoying... the lottery isnt the game i really want to play again ... but sort of want to...hoping one day i might 'win', but how annoying is this, my friend, 1A* at GCSE, AAAB at AS and AAA prediction, offer from DUrham... that doesnt add up to what the admissions tutor told me, as i know ppl with better grades rejected....
Grr my feedback said nothing personal at all from Durham, it was a mechanical letter that they obv. send to hundreds. 'By no means were you considered unsuitable..' ra ra ra....
Reply 14
rosyposy

the letter reads, unsurprisingly
'i am afriad that the main reason your application failed is simply because of the number of applicants we recieve. Our primary admissions criteria is AAA at Alevel and we reciened well over 1,000 applications of that standard...

'the only problem with your application- and there were factors considered in your favour- was that the writing seemed to be a little forced. In both the LNAT essay and personal statement it looked like you were trying to hard to impress the reader'

Con-tra-diction Durham. The reason people try to impress the reader is because the reader is an Admissions tutor with all those applications!

* Despairs!*
Dreama
Con-tra-diction Durham. The reason people try to impress the reader is because the reader is an Admissions tutor with all those applications!

* Despairs!*

I know! What are you meant to do, write some boring, desperate drivel and send the admissions tutor to sleep?
SiAnY
I know! What are you meant to do, write some boring, desperate drivel and send the admissions tutor to sleep?

one of those catch 22's. damned if you try and impress the reader, buggered if you don't
Reply 17
:albertein

"Now, I'm really not trying to impress you, but I'm ok at English Lit. I got 289/300 on my module marks, which is OK I suppose. I was Head Girl at school, that was alright. On my Gap year I'm going to help teach English to poverty stricken children, I suppose some people might think that's nice of me. Y'know, maybe. I think I'll be good at Law because I've got a strong sense of Justice. Sometimes. Ok, apart from last Saturday when I jumped the queue at Burger King, but usually. I hope you don't think I'm boasting but I was pleased to take 3 GCSE's when I was 13. I know that's not that great, I mean, some people might take them when they are 12. But y'know, if you've got the space, it'd be cool to come... I suppose. "
Here's an EE offer.
Reply 19
Lol!

Latest

Trending

Trending