The Student Room Group

can someone that actually lives in manchester, tell me the truth about the crime rate

hi

okay im feeling a mixture, of nervious and annoyed

ive wanted to go to manchester uni for a while, think its a great place and good for my course, but ive just found out its about...

5 mins from moss side, and
6 mins from longsight

what ive heard aboutt these areas is that they are by far some of the worst in the uk, having notoriously high crime rates, shootings, theft ect ect

my question is

how safe is manchester uni for a student,

what are the chances of me gettin mugged

can i go through 3 years without getting into any trouble

manchester does have the highest rate of ASBO's in the uk after all??...
and its proximity to moss side *shudder*...

someone help

Scroll to see replies

I live round the corner from Moss Side and am still alive, never been mugged or anything. Just don't be stupid, try not to have to walk home by yourself, get a rape alarm and you'll be fine. Incidentally I've had more trouble in Rusholme than Moss Side.
Reply 2
Well its the university with the most students so it can't be that bad :s-smilie:
Reply 3
It's fine. I've got 2 mates at manchester uni and they have both commented that they feel really safe. Reading the statistics then going there are different things.

I've been out there a few times too it's fine. There's so many people and students about you always feel comfortable. I doubt you're going to go to any dodgy areas when you'll be with people you know at student venues most of the time :smile:

Don't worry!
Reply 4
lyrical17
my question is

how safe is manchester uni for a student,

what are the chances of me gettin mugged

can i go through 3 years without getting into any trouble

*questions :wink:

As safe as any other city of comparable size [not a cop out answer]

Slim

Yes*

*I lived in Salford for 4 and never got into nor see anything wrong.
Reply 5
Moss Side isn't that bad!

What area are you thinking of living in? Or are you going to the halls?
Reply 6
Manchester Uni is so near the town centre and I'm sure you'll be fine if you're sensible.
Manchester is quite safe tbh. I always go to Rusholme, and I used to see my friend in Longsight, it is a little rough, but to myself its generally okay!
Reply 8
daruishraz
Manchester is quite safe tbh. I always go to Rusholme, and I used to see my friend in Longsight, it is a little rough, but to myself its generally okay!

how would you define " a little rough" - i come from luton, ie (L-town) and to me its fine, but when i tell people where im from, they look back in shock horror, as its menna be some sort of gun/knife fest, lolz, ...
lyrical17
how would you define " a little rough" - i come from luton, ie (L-town) and to me its fine, but when i tell people where im from, they look back in shock horror, as its menna be some sort of gun/knife fest, lolz, ...

Well, it is a little rough. An example is NOT TO SCARE YOU, but going on a double decker Stagecoach (bus) from Longsight, you can sometimes see an odd stoner at the back smoking a spliff, lol. Or you can occasionally find someone staring at you. Or you can find people doing drugs, or shouting, banging the floors. Again, this is the rough side.

However, there really is only 2 rough places (longsight/moss side) and if you stay there in the right time of day with the right people than you will be fine. Trust me.
Reply 10
daruishraz
Well, it is a little rough. An example is NOT TO SCARE YOU, but going on a double decker Stagecoach (bus) from Longsight, you can sometimes see an odd stoner at the back smoking a spliff, lol. Or you can occasionally find someone staring at you. Or you can find people doing drugs, or shouting, banging the floors. Again, this is the rough side.

However, there really is only 2 rough places (longsight/moss side) and if you stay there in the right time of day with the right people than you will be fine. Trust me.

thanks so much for the honest information, it means alot, as long as i dont get smacked with a glass bottle, i dont mind lolz,

what u mentioned about the two rough areas longsight/moss side, is what worries me, its these precise areas that are close to the uni,
ive heard its all to do with gang wars between the two rival opposite gangs, and sometimes innocent passers by just get shot...

the thing is, im sure like most things, people have over exadurated the situations, the tens of thousands of students that are actually in the city at one time, would be more enough to make me feel safe, but i still worry

three years in a city rife with crime, oh well you cant have it both ways, if i go to a uni in a small town eg loughborough, id be bored senseless, but there would be no crime, lolz
lyrical17
thanks so much for the honest information, it means alot, as long as i dont get smacked with a glass bottle, i dont mind lolz,

what u mentioned about the two rough areas longsight/moss side, is what worries me, its these precise areas that are close to the uni,
ive heard its all to do with gang wars between the two rival opposite gangs, and sometimes innocent passers by just get shot...

the thing is, im sure like most things, people have over exadurated the situations, the tens of thousands of students that are actually in the city at one time, would be more enough to make me feel safe, but i still worry

three years in a city rife with crime, oh well you cant have it both ways, if i go to a uni in a small town eg loughborough, id be bored senseless, but there would be no crime, lolz

They aren't THAT near to Manchester University. And I am usually in the middle of Longsight-Moss Side, in Rusholme which is honestly quite safe in my eyes. Most students usually chill on the whole of Oxford Road-Wilmslow Road, and through to the town centre in the evenings. Where will you be living if I may ask btw? Which area?
Currently my friend lives in Fallowfield which is quite better, an area, rather than Longsight.
Reply 12
daruishraz
They aren't THAT near to Manchester University. And I am usually in the middle of Longsight-Moss Side, in Rusholme which is honestly quite safe in my eyes. Most students usually chill on the whole of Oxford Road-Wilmslow Road, and through to the town centre in the evenings. Where will you be living if I may ask btw? Which area?
Currently my friend lives in Fallowfield which is quite better, an area, rather than Longsight.

i dont actually know where my accomidation will be based as such, it just seems a shame that many parts of the city will be out of bounds, due to the crime, sigh, oh well, its the same with every major city, i suppose,...i dont mind, not like theres any major attractions in longsight/moss side.

i think its all these rumours that are making things worse,

you have helped to put my mind at rest
thanks ever so much

btw i was lookin to stay at fallowfield, victory, or witworth park...

ive heard people get thier rooms trashed, and stuff stolen on a regular basis, but oh well sigh

thanks so much for ur help, much appreciated
lyrical17
i dont actually know where my accomidation will be based as such, it just seems a shame that many parts of the city will be out of bounds, due to the crime, sigh, oh well, its the same with every major city, i suppose,...i dont mind, not like theres any major attractions in longsight/moss side.

i think its all these rumours that are making things worse,

you have helped to put my mind at rest
thanks ever so much

btw i was lookin to stay at fallowfield, victory, or witworth park...

ive heard people get thier rooms trashed, and stuff stolen on a regular basis, but oh well sigh

thanks so much for ur help, much appreciated

If I were you I'd stay in Fallowfield, because there is more students. It is also further away from the 'trouble' and near to Rusholme. I can definately tell the difference between Fallowfield and Longsight, and Fallowfield is a LOT more better. It also boasts bars, Sainsburys and a Tescos, a shisha cafe, take aways, etc...
The people who get their rooms trashed and stolen, are the students who are loud and arn't cautious about their neighbours, etc.
Whitworth Park is also a VERY good area, being on oxford road. However, expect many bars/clubs. It's also a good area because they're buses nearlye very minute going straight into the town centre!
Reply 14
daruishraz
If I were you I'd stay in Fallowfield, because there is more students. It is also further away from the 'trouble' and near to Rusholme. I can definately tell the difference between Fallowfield and Longsight, and Fallowfield is a LOT more better. It also boasts bars, Sainsburys and a Tescos, a shisha cafe, take aways, etc...
The people who get their rooms trashed and stolen, are the students who are loud and arn't cautious about their neighbours, etc.
Whitworth Park is also a VERY good area, being on oxford road. However, expect many bars/clubs. It's also a good area because they're buses nearlye very minute going straight into the town centre!

so to sum up, witworth park and fallowfield, are kool,

stay the hell away from rushholm, moss side and longsight.

everywhere else is pretty fine

lyrical17
so to sum up, witworth park and fallowfield, are kool,

stay the hell away from rushholm, moss side and longsight.

everywhere else is pretty fine

Just stay away from Moss Side, and Longsight. And you'll be fine. Rusholme is also fine :smile:
Reply 16

Moss Side has a reputation because of the 'Gunchester' days in the early 90's. My experience is that its fine, same with Rusholme, Hulme.

Just for pitys sake stay away from Salford. You might be OK at the Quays, but venture far from the lights and you WILL be preyed upon there.

Manchester is awesome though it has to be said, you are in for a great time.
Reply 17
manchester isn't dangerous for students unless you're a big idiot.

are you planning on wandering around moss side or platt fields park late at night waving an iPod in the air and shouting "I'm a student, come mug me, k gaiz?!". If no, then you'll be fine. there's never any need to venture into moss side or longsight, tbh. the proximity to them isn't really an issue because it's not like you have to go there/go through there.
Reply 18
don't go throw a dark park or such, avoid going out too late alone at night, during the day everythings fine, and make sure you don't have your ipod blasting while your walking around as it doesn't keep you aware if someones walking behind you, etc.
Reply 19
Fallowfield isn't dangerous at all. Neither is the Oxford Road corridor which is pretty much just a student district from the Oxford Road Station past both universities and right down to the start of Rusholme. You're very unlikely to encounter any problems there. I'v heard Moss Side and Longsight are bad but never had any cause to go there on foot and you almost definitely won't either. I go to Hulme quite a lot to get to the big ASDA and the other shops and that's very much 'real' Manchester and not just a student area, and had a worse reputation than Moss Side pre-regeneration but yet I'v never had any problems there either, although I do mostly stick to the main roads there and not the estate/back roads.

basically I'v never felt threatened in Manchester :dontknow: I hardly ever get public transport though which I'v heard can be a flaspoint late at night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending