The Student Room Group

When you find out that someone who used to bully you is achieving a lot

Has anyone experienced this, hope did you deal with it in terms of thoughts etc
Reply 1
Ignore them and don't compare yourself to others.
Avoid thinking about it ir looking at stimuli related to it, there’s no benefit to hoping for someones downfall or crying about the opposite
Reply 3
Original post by Awaitingquavers

Just don't give a **** about them. Never wish to see someone's downfall. It's not ethically right. If someone does wrong to you, they'll definitely have a collapse down the road even though they're progressing quite well now. But they'll receive punishment for their deeds at some point in life.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 4
It is what it is. Some people do better than others, at least on the surface. That doesn't necessarily mean those people are happy deep down. Happy and well-adjusted individuals do not bully.
Original post by Little pecker
Avoid thinking about it ir looking at stimuli related to it, there’s no benefit to hoping for someones downfall or crying about the opposite

But in all my storybooks as a kid it was the nasty person who lost out in the end and the person who they treated badly became a happy hero.

I would like to know why this hasn’t occured !
Original post by Meheraj
Just don't give a **** about them. Never wish to see someone's downfall. It's not ethically right. If someone does wrong to you, they'll definitely have a collapse down the road even though they're progressing quite well now. But they'll receive punishment for their deeds at some point in life.

So I just need to wait longer, this is more promising although if they keep going at this rate they will become a world champ athlete.

Still I’l wait
Reply 7
Life is too short to waste your valuable time and energy on those that do not deserve any of either. :smile:
Don't let the school bullies of your youth live rent free in your head.
Nor any other jerks who did not add anything positive to your life.
Focus on your own ambitions, making more happy memories, widening your skilset and doing the things that make you happy.

I believe that karma does not forget anyone and everyone will one day have their karmic overdraft repaid in full.
The only questions are when and how.
Good luck!
Reply 8
So I just need to wait longer, this is more promising although if they keep going at this rate they will become a world champ athlete.

Still I’l wait

Some people bully others when they're immature. After a certain time, they realise it and they move on or try to seek forgiveness. I think if they do that, they could be forgiven depending on the kind of bullying.

You're saying something right now coz you're not looking at the whole picture. When you've the don't care attitude, it won't bother you much.
Reply 9
Original post by Meheraj
Some people bully others when they're immature. After a certain time, they realise it and they move on or try to seek forgiveness. I think if they do that, they could be forgiven depending on the kind of bullying.

You're saying something right now coz you're not looking at the whole picture. When you've the don't care attitude, it won't bother you much.

i can kinda relate to this. i wouldnt consider myself a bully but 6 years ago i was a really immature person. i may have said things blindly without knowing it would hurt people.i look back on that alot and i wish sometimes i could just find every person that might have maybe been hurt by my words and ask for forgivness.but i think because i was once the loud rebellious kid i didnt think before i said anything however people did say alot to me thinking i woudlnt be hurt but the truth is those words honestly scarred me and caused me to mature much faster than my whole year group. i just wanted to write this to tell all of u that, yes it sucks seeing ur bully in a better place than u however sometimes u dont know how much they regret what they did deep down and also may have suffered
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by siocrystal
i can kinda relate to this. i wouldnt consider myself a bully but 6 years ago i was a really immature person. i may have said things blindly without knowing it would hurt people.i look back on that alot and i wish sometimes i could just find every person that might have maybe been hurt by my words and ask for forgivness.but i think because i was once the loud rebellious kid i didnt think before i said anything however people did say alot to me thinking i woudlnt be hurt but the truth is those words honestly scarred me and caused me to mature much faster than my whole year group. i just wanted to write this to tell all of u that, yes it sucks seeing ur bully in a better place than u however sometimes u dont know how much they regret what they did deep down and also may have suffered

You know the great thing is you realized your faults and you feel sorry for doing such. Very few people have the guts to do it. So, kudos to you!

Good luck! May God bless you.
But in all my storybooks as a kid it was the nasty person who lost out in the end and the person who they treated badly became a happy hero.

I would like to know why this hasn’t occured !

The storybooks were created as fiction by authors who were bowing down to the social conditioning that children should be encouraged to be good little boys and girls. Because of an environment where the Overton Window is one where the masses should be good obediant people and obey the rulers. It's an Overton Window that's been there throughout recorded history.

On the one hand this Overton Window is a good thing, because it helps to reduce criminality and therefore helps to reduce the chances of you being a victim of crime.
On the other hand it's one that maintains the status quo and indoctrinates people to be obediant and may put people in self imposed glass bubbles.

The reality is that bad people do prosper. Crime does pay, if it's the right sort of crime and the criminal is clever enough about it.

You were fed a huge con when you were a child in those storybooks.
A con equivalent to Santa Claus. The tooth fairy. Jesus was born on December 25th. Etc etc etc.

And about 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 people are psychopaths. Not all psychopaths are bullies. But they do tend to bully when they're in a siutation where bullying is a means on their path to get a goal that they have for themselves.
A high proportion of American Presidents since the Second World War have been psychopaths.
Psychopaths tend to be "successful" at their endeavours becuase they are so single minded about achieving their goals. And they tend to not focus on fear and sefl doubt. They tend to come over as confident and charismatic.
This is something that we as empaths can learn from and we would get more success in life if - in the most appropriate situations - we thought and behaved more like psychopaths. Although we will never be psychopaths, because we're wired differently inside.

And then you get the school bullies that aren't psychopaths. A proportion of these will grow up and be unsuccessful. Some of them will be "successful". That's simply the statistics of the situation.

Instead of feeling bitter about the success of your bully, how about focusing on what you can learn from his or her success?
Wise people don't tend to compare themselves to others. They compare themselves to their former self.

Still I’l wait

Don't wait! Your time is NOW!
Don't have the mindset that "your life will be better when". Have the mindset that you have arrived now. That your life is fantastic today.
Meh, maybe the bully sorted themselves out. I used to have a mean streak in me at school that I'm glad I grew out of.

It goes both ways, out of 3 people who bullied me badly as a kid, 1 got hanged, 1 got got mega stabbed and another lost both their hands in Iraq.
^ Bloody hell...
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
^ Bloody hell...

Yip, all from the same loose group of louts, the first two were them getting bored and turning on each other.

I forgot another one of them went on a stabbing spree through the town centre, but superficial wounds onlyIi think
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
The storybooks were created as fiction by authors who were bowing down to the social conditioning that children should be encouraged to be good little boys and girls. Because of an environment where the Overton Window is one where the masses should be good obediant people and obey the rulers. It's an Overton Window that's been there throughout recorded history.

On the one hand this Overton Window is a good thing, because it helps to reduce criminality and therefore helps to reduce the chances of you being a victim of crime.
On the other hand it's one that maintains the status quo and indoctrinates people to be obediant and may put people in self imposed glass bubbles.

The reality is that bad people do prosper. Crime does pay, if it's the right sort of crime and the criminal is clever enough about it.

You were fed a huge con when you were a child in those storybooks.
A con equivalent to Santa Claus. The tooth fairy. Jesus was born on December 25th. Etc etc etc.

And about 1 in 50 to 1 in 100 people are psychopaths. Not all psychopaths are bullies. But they do tend to bully when they're in a siutation where bullying is a means on their path to get a goal that they have for themselves.
A high proportion of American Presidents since the Second World War have been psychopaths.
Psychopaths tend to be "successful" at their endeavours becuase they are so single minded about achieving their goals. And they tend to not focus on fear and sefl doubt. They tend to come over as confident and charismatic.
This is something that we as empaths can learn from and we would get more success in life if - in the most appropriate situations - we thought and behaved more like psychopaths. Although we will never be psychopaths, because we're wired differently inside.

And then you get the school bullies that aren't psychopaths. A proportion of these will grow up and be unsuccessful. Some of them will be "successful". That's simply the statistics of the situation.

Instead of feeling bitter about the success of your bully, how about focusing on what you can learn from his or her success?
Wise people don't tend to compare themselves to others. They compare themselves to their former self.

Don't wait! Your time is NOW!
Don't have the mindset that "your life will be better when". Have the mindset that you have arrived now. That your life is fantastic today.

This post is so fantastic.

there is a doom painting in my church ( about 15 century) and I recently went to a talk about it. It showed god sitting on a rainbow, with people rising out of their coffins on judgement day. God chose who would go to the right and be ushered to the right and heaven, and those who had led an evil life had some rather nasty devils taking them to the jaws of hell. Ordinary churchgoers could not read, so their parents would explain the doom painting with the implication that if you were good children you would get a reward in heaven. Doubt this would work today!

yes, it does seem unfair when a bully gets their way and had got away with it. However us victims of this awful behaviour need to pay a long game and improve our own lives.

for example, I was bullied at work by someone who resented my work. She bullied me, was promoted and left but before she did, she purposefully did not teach me how to work from home ( along with other things). This got me into so much trouble and even though I was exonerated, my health suffered so badly I needed to leave. Soon afterwards I found a job in customer services. Because of my empathy and my love of others I am doing very well and my customers and bosses love me. I say to all those who are bullied, play to your strengths! I never think of my bully or the company, and if I do it is with a sigh of relief because I am loved, trusted and respected where I am now.

similarly when my doctor husband abandoned me and my kids. I was able to concentrate fully on them. With my research and encouragement they ended up at Oxford university. Both have great careers which they love and are thriving. My ex husband, not so much.

when you are left by a bully, you have more space to be yourself. Bullying repels me. If I were like that, I could not look at myself in the mirror. Instead I prefer to help others and enhance their lives, which is why I help people get into Oxford on TSR.

don’t look back on your past and weep, op at what the bullies have done, but purposely be the opposite to them. Leave your old life behind and create a new one that you can be proud of.
There may not be god sitting on a rainbow, but the word “karma” is the modern equivalent, and will do just as well.

@Awaitingquavers
(edited 11 months ago)

I have been through this.

Just ignore it. Your real competition, every single day, is you vs you. Remember that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending