The Student Room Group

can someone that actually lives in manchester, tell me the truth about the crime rate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Just like any city in most western countries, just use your common sense. I lived in a village in rural Hampshire for the first 18 years of my life, and since then spent some time living in Vietnam, China etc, which are way more dangerous than anywhere in Manc. Not that I havn't had any problems in manc, a friend had his bike nicked. I had some guys try and get some stuff from my bag on the bus, but that's it. You can tell when someone's up to something usually and you can get out of it pretty easily. If you are a victim of crime, you probably won't realise it until much later, as far as criminals are concerned most are cowards and won't have conflict with you directly. When someone's sizing you up as a potential mugging victim, they want to make sure they get your wallet, not a smack in the mouth.

But yes, if you decide not to come to Manc because of crime, I'd say that's a pretty poor decision, the crime rate isn't nearly high enough to pose any major threat to you or your studies, for 99% of your time there. :smile: Be confident.
Reply 21
theres crime in every city you go to. The student areas are generally safe and as long as you are smart and dont go walking down unknown dark alley ways at night, you should not encounter any problems. If it makes you feel any better, the only trouble iv had since being here is from students.
Reply 22
The only problems I have had so far are those derived from students. Once had my window crashed in Fallowfield and a lot of stuff taken from the fridge but that is it. Though then again, I never go out, especially at night into dark back alleys and the situation might be different then.
Reply 23
well fallowfield is pretty much next to moss side and i gotta say i feel a lot safer in manchester than i do in london, never had any trouble, only seen 1 fight and itwas between students
Reply 24
In the four years I've been here several friends have been mugged in Salford, Longsight and the Rusholme/Victoria Park areas, the latter of which was at knifepoint at about 7pm for his mobile, teabags and a packet of hobnobs. Our house in Fallowfield has also been broken into (while we were actually upstairs), as have the houses of friends in both Victoria Park and Withington. But this isn't unusual for a big city! And as already mentioned, the Oxford Road corridor, where the university and halls of residence actually are, is very safe indeed. Just avoid walking down back roads alone at night, basically.
What about Stretford, Wythenshawe, Cheetham Hill. The Broughtons?

East Manchester ie Clayton, etc?

Is Ancoats a toilet?

Prestwich/Heaton Park?
I know someone that witnessed an armed bank robbery, but I think they were just having a bad day. Plus personally i never had any trouble yet, *touch wood*. I would like to keep that way to.
Reply 27
It's no diff to any other large city. Its probably safer than london cos its smaller and the people are much friendlier than southeners. Theres just so many students, the biggest pop of students in Europe ro be exact, you'll deff feel safe.
Reply 28
lol wtf. I go to my barbers in Moss side. Moss Side leisure centre. Go Fallowfield all the time. Walk through Rusholme at any time. Take the 15 Bus through Moss Side and Old Trafford at well late times. Visit mates in Withington and Longsight well late.

Nothing has ever happened to me.

Note though, I was raised in tottenham in north london so i'm not freakin' stupid and put myself in situations. I know a guy who was sat on the top of the bus and about 8 lads came on and one of them opened a window and the guy I knew got up and closed it, so the lad opened it again and said don't do that again mate, but the guy got up and closed it again, resulting in a battering.

Just dont be stupid, if you feel like you're the type of person to get targetted DON'T walk into a crowd of 10 hooded lads thinking nothing will happen.
Reply 29
Original post by *kate
In the four years I've been here several friends have been mugged in Salford, Longsight and the Rusholme/Victoria Park areas, the latter of which was at knifepoint at about 7pm for his mobile, teabags and a packet of hobnobs. Our house in Fallowfield has also been broken into (while we were actually upstairs), as have the houses of friends in both Victoria Park and Withington. But this isn't unusual for a big city! And as already mentioned, the Oxford Road corridor, where the university and halls of residence actually are, is very safe indeed. Just avoid walking down back roads alone at night, basically.

I was thinking about being in Victoria Park, as it's a leafy place, so I thought it would be nicer, and therefore safer! Comming from a farm outside a smll village in North Wales feeling safe is the main priority for me, so is Victoria Park really that bad?!
Reply 30
Never felt threatened in Manchester, even when alone or walking about late at night. There again, I don't have any need to venture into the worst areas. As for things like burglary, I know plenty of people who've had their houses/cars broken into. My car was broken into during first year. In second year, my Dad was preparing our student house (he's our landlord) and somebody broke in via a window before he managed to scare them away. We live in one of the 'safer' areas, directly opposite the MP's house and right next to the Chinese Embassy. So, things like burglary I'd say are pretty common (most people I know have been subject to burglary/attempted burglary) but the whole "you're going to get mugged, then raped, then shot" thing is a little overstated.

Wouldn't let any of that put you off though - just don't park anywhere dodgy and ensure you've got decent house security (ours is now upgraded since attempted burglary). Oh, and take out decent contents insurance for your room/house!
Reply 31
I live near Manchester and that's where I'm going to Uni, living in halls. I'd say it seems safe, I'm looking at the Fallowfield halls coz it seems to be the busiest and there's safety in numbers. Right? Basically the further out you are the safer it gets - but thats pretty much true of all cities.
Reply 32
I have lived in Manchester for 3 years now in Allsaints campus, Fallowfield and Rusholme and have never had any real trouble whatsoever.

I generally feel safe all the time. It is important to make sure you are not taking risks which increase your chances of something going wrong.... just use common sense and you will be fine.

Stuff like not walking home alone from nights out, staying on well lit roads and not cutting through alley ways/ parks, not waving your phone or wallet around etc... Is all important.

Also most universities will have safety talks about crime and incidents how to avoid them and what to do if something does happen.
I have had a few moments in Manchester but it's no worse than other cities. The Moss Side/Longsight gang thing is nothing to do with students and you will probably never come into contact with those people. Fallowfield is alright, but if you're walking anywhere after dark, alone in a quiet place you're always at risk no matter how safe you think your area is. I wouldn't say it's plagued with crime but if you stick in groups, get taxis from nights out (especially if you're a girl) you ought to be fine.
Reply 34
Tbh anyone that says there isn't a lot of crime in the area is kidding themselves. fallowfield is a big student bubble, but anywhere around it the crime rate is significantly higher than most places in UK

depends where you are from, if it's the countryside prepare to be shocked, haha.

the crimes you hear most about are sexual things and ASBO type stuff.
I grew up in Longsight and am off to UCL in September, at my interview I was warned that London might be a lot tougher than Manchester to live in lol.

I'd suggest you stay out of Longsight and Moss Side if you don't know the area I have seen a few students come a cropper after wandering into the wrong parts of Longsight at night. Overall I wouldn't be too concerned though as you would have no reason to go to those areas. Yes there are shootings and gang activity in the aforementioned areas but as someone who grew up around and knew these people I can tell you that it's just scumbags shooting each other and they have no interest in harming a random person who clearly isn't involved the only risk in your case would be getting robbed and possibly beat up along with it but like I said you'd have no reason to go into the heart of Longsight or Moss side at night.
(edited 13 years ago)
I've lived in central Manchester all my life and it is fine as long as you don't go looking for trouble, like going down dark alleyways and general common sense stuff! Always go to a club with someone you know and trust etc. etc.

As with any major city the crime rate is quite high but if you keep yourself to yourself and don't cause a fuss you will be fine! As the person above said, stay out of Moss Side, Longsight and Levenshulme if possible, they aren't the nicest areas to be in.
Reply 37
I have lived in Manchester all my life, it's what you make it. If you go out looking for trouble you will find it. Keep yourself to yourself, ensure you are safe when you go out and not flashing all your technology and you will be fine.

I have never had any problems.
Reply 38
I live in Hulme and I haven't had any problems as with Moss Side. Everyone says the latter is rough etc but it's only because of the reputation it had in the 90s. There is still that element of roughness but it really isn't as bad as it used to be. However, I still would not recommend going there by yourself at night. Rusholme and Fallowfield I've been told are really bad and are probably worse than Hulme and Moss Side thesedays. I remember during Freshers Week in 2010 that 6 women had been raped in those areas along with other crimes like theft and mugging.

As long as you use your common sense and you're careful with your words then you should be fine. If you're a woman then you should take extra precautions. It can sometimes pay to be a bit paranoid too lol.
Original post by sianXcore
I live in Hulme and I haven't had any problems as with Moss Side. Everyone says the latter is rough etc but it's only because of the reputation it had in the 90s. There is still that element of roughness but it really isn't as bad as it used to be. However, I still would not recommend going there by yourself at night. Rusholme and Fallowfield I've been told are really bad and are probably worse than Hulme and Moss Side thesedays. I remember during Freshers Week in 2010 that 6 women had been raped in those areas along with other crimes like theft and mugging.

As long as you use your common sense and you're careful with your words then you should be fine. If you're a woman then you should take extra precautions. It can sometimes pay to be a bit paranoid too lol.

I have heard that a few times recently.
What you said about moss side is spot on though. It was awful in the 90s. And a shooting a few years back during the media hype about gang violence gave it an even worse reputation.
The funny thing is, they completely overlook the gang problems in other places...
As a result, people seem to think Moss side is a **** hole full of crime which on the whole is not fair.

The funny thing is, all my mates up here in wales go on about how rough moss side is, but when I tell them I was born near Chetham hill they are all like :dontknow:, when lets be honest... Chetham hill is probably a fair bit rougher than moss side these days.

Anyway, yes Fallowfield is fairly bad. From what I know, its mostly theft/burglary ect because of the high student population (easy targets?).
But violent crime such as muggings and rape on on the rise... I know I wont be happy about letting my girlfriend walk around fallowfield at night!

But lets be honest OP.
Manchester IS safe as long as you're not a dick. Dont walk around at night with you're phone out, dont walk around at night alone, stick to where you know and you'll be a happy chappy.

Oh and manchester has the largest, most advanced CCTV network in Europe. So if you are unlucky enough to be mugged, chances are they will be caught :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending