The Student Room Group

can someone that actually lives in manchester, tell me the truth about the crime rate

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
As I said before, I live in Hulme so I'm not far away from Moss Side and I go to the health centre there often for regular check ups (epileptic). Thankfully, my appointments are in the morning so it's moderately safe at that time. I don't have a reason to go to Moss Side at night so I don't go down there lol. Haha, my grandpa goes on about how rough Moss Side is and I'm like: I know it was bad back in the 90s but it isn't as bad as it used to be. But then again, he lives in the South Wales Valleys so he's gonna say that about the city but in my mind, the Valleys is probably worse than Moss Side :P

Someone mentioned Wythenshawe? Absolute hell hole, worse than Moss Side. I went there to go to the hospital and I was crapping myself because I had already heard of its rep, I was there alone and I got lost because I couldn't find the hospital. This was at 2pm as well lol but thankfully I was okay and I returned to city centre unharmed :P I did come across some scummy chav kids hanging around but I kept my distance and they left me alone but there were a scummy couple who gave me a look as though to say "Who are you and what are you doing in this area?"

Longsight I've heard is pretty bad as I have Ancoats. The latter has apparently improved due to regeneration and there are some really nice apartments there. Cheetham Hill I've heard is bad as with Levenshulme.
Reply 41
If you're going to be a student in manchester, doing studenty things - mostly involving oxford road and the city - you've nothing to worry about. Just like any other city.
Reply 42
Original post by lyrical17
hi

okay im feeling a mixture, of nervious and annoyed

ive wanted to go to manchester uni for a while, think its a great place and good for my course, but ive just found out its about...

5 mins from moss side, and
6 mins from longsight

what ive heard aboutt these areas is that they are by far some of the worst in the uk, having notoriously high crime rates, shootings, theft ect ect

my question is

how safe is manchester uni for a student,

what are the chances of me gettin mugged

can i go through 3 years without getting into any trouble

manchester does have the highest rate of ASBO's in the uk after all??...
and its proximity to moss side *shudder*...

someone help

Hey, I live in Ardwick (Near the universities) 5 minutes away from longsight and went to loreto college in the middle of Moss Side and I can honestly say you have nothing to worry about. Crime exists everywhere, and yeah okay the crime rate may be a little higher in manchester than in other places but thats because of the amount of gangs there are heres, and so if you stay out of all that gang stuff you have NOTHING to worry about. Most of the poeple who have died in manchester from gun/knife crime have always been associated with the big gangs in some way. Manchesters a wicked place, I go uni in london now, and I miss Manchester so much. Believe me, you'll enjoy it alot. Just dont go out at ridiculous times and expect not to get jacked, it happens in any city though, so just be careful (:
Reply 43
Everyone's already said it all really. I'm living in Rusholme now and Moss Side next year, it's not THAT bad. Like everyone's said, just don't be an idiot. What I've noticed is that most of the crime is committed between people who know each other. There's a ridiculous amount of bar fights and stuff like that and people having huge rows on the street, but that's only because they've basically walked into it. Criminals in Manchester don't tend to just walk up to random people.

Closest I've ever come to trouble is when I was walking home on my own at 5am through Longsight, which is probably the single most stupid thing you could possibly do. All that happened was a Nigerian bloke stoned off his face came and talked to me and walked me home haha, I haven't seen him since and that was last year. Nothing has happened otherwise.

So basically, if you're not looking for trouble, you won't find it.
I am.living in Rusholme from 17 years Have no problem .Everywhere is good and bad .Don't worry you can join Manchester uni It's a really good place .you will must have fun
Hhh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending