The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm not too cool for Cambridge, I’m not cool enough. Really had my heart set on the place: I loved every second of my time there, instantly got on with everybody I met, the Dons seemed like great people and the architecture brought tears to my eyes. I love the slight eccentricity (you know they have an assassins’ guild? how cool is that!), the weird customs, the slang, the sense of history and tradition, the clannishness and petty rivalries. And yes, I wanted to be with the elite, I wanted to know that the people I was with were the best and the brightest, to know that you’re just a little bit special. And no matter what we say, it IS the best/ second best Uni out there. It’s like everywhere else is just a learning experience, Cambridge is a lifestyle, a mindset. All my heroes went there or Oxford: the Pythons, Stephen Fry, Ian McKellen, Richard Ayodae, Douglas Adams, William Wordsworth, Ted Hughes, Coleridge... I felt made for the place, and at home there.

And I'm not good enough. I feel like a complete failure. Life really, really sucks. Trying to decide which of my other choices (Durham, St Andrew's, Edinburgh, York) to go for. I guess it doesn’t help that I’ve never actually visited any of the other Unis I’ve applied to, so I’m looking at them now and comparing them to Cambridge. They seem so uninspiring, they're just Universities, nothing special. Can't be bothered even going to Uni now, maybe I'll join the Army or something. I just can’t seem to motivated for my future anymore, I’ve spent so long preparing and working with Cambridge as the target I can’t really see the point anymore. It's got so bad I’m actually reading Duffy and not get any more depressed…

Disclaimer I’m sorry this is such a winge or if I’ve insulted your Uni! I’m not usually this annoying I swear! I’m just dead depressed at present, I’ll cheer up somehow, I’m sure. I hear Mescaline is good…
Reply 61
the_recruit
can i ask...three years later, when you've landed a job on a graduate programme some place, are you going to mention that you got rejected at Cambridge?

i've met a few who are still bitter about it after all this time.

nahh guys I'm joking! I'm not a bitter person at all, tbh I'm really happy to even have had an interview. I've not always been the most committed person academia wise and that's probably an understatement but I would never have dreamed I would have had an interview even this time last year! I mean it's such a good university, I never thought I was good enough to go there. I'll be happy where I end up and I'm really pleased because I have offers from universities that I never thought I would go to either. Seriously I thought I was doomed for hairdressing at the local tech (no offence to anyone who does that - I seem to be offending a lot of people)
Plus, I don't think I would really be selling myself if I tell them about a time when I was rejected!!! haha
Reply 62
Poet on the Rock
I'm not too cool for Cambridge, I’m not cool enough. Really had my heart set on the place: I loved every second of my time there, instantly got on with everybody I met, the Dons seemed like great people and the architecture brought tears to my eyes. I love the slight eccentricity (you know they have an assassins’ guild? how cool is that!), the weird customs, the slang, the sense of history and tradition, the clannishness and petty rivalries. And yes, I wanted to be with the elite, I wanted to know that the people I was with were the best and the brightest, to know that you’re just a little bit special. And no matter what we say, it IS the best/ second best Uni out there. It’s like everywhere else is just a learning experience, Cambridge is a lifestyle, a mindset. All my heroes went there or Oxford: the Pythons, Stephen Fry, Ian McKellen, Richard Ayodae, Douglas Adams, William Wordsworth, Ted Hughes, Coleridge... I felt made for the place, and at home there.

And I'm not good enough. I feel like a complete failure. Life really, really sucks. Trying to decide which of my other choices (Durham, St Andrew's, Edinburgh, York) to go for. I guess it doesn’t help that I’ve never actually visited any of the other Unis I’ve applied to, so I’m looking at them now and comparing them to Cambridge. They seem so uninspiring, they're just Universities, nothing special. Can't be bothered even going to Uni now, maybe I'll join the Army or something. I just can’t seem to motivated for my future anymore, I’ve spent so long preparing and working with Cambridge as the target I can’t really see the point anymore. It's got so bad I’m actually reading Duffy and not get any more depressed…

Disclaimer I’m sorry this is such a winge or if I’ve insulted your Uni! I’m not usually this annoying I swear! I’m just dead depressed at present, I’ll cheer up somehow, I’m sure. I hear Mescaline is good…

dude you just made me sad. Its not the end of the world, if it means that much to you why dont you take a year out and reapply next year at least youll be prepared, im actually considering it you know.
Reply 63
Poet on the Rock

You're bringing the thread down man!! No but you have just summed up how I think pretty much everyone has been feeling. It does feel as though everyone who has 'amounted to something' has gone there and I sort of naivly thought when I applied that if I got an offer suddenly everything in my life would be perfect and I would go on to do something great or something but hmm no
Reply 64
donmcl777
dude you just made me sad. Its not the end of the world, if it means that much to you why dont you take a year out and reapply next year at least youll be prepared, im actually considering it you know.

Noooo I thought you were strong!!!! Don't let them take your soul, don't let them take you back into their clutches!!!!
Reply 65
im going to cambridge!!! according to my sig anyway :h:
Reply 66
Poet on the Rock

And I'm not good enough. I feel like a complete failure. Life really, really sucks. Trying to decide which of my other choices (Durham, St Andrew's, Edinburgh, York) to go for.

Go to durham it's beautiful and awesome. Also they have an assassin's guild aswell. if only it i the course i wanted to do.
Reply 67
emioly
Noooo I thought you were strong!!!! Don't let them take your soul, don't let them take you back into their clutches!!!!

But they're so shiny
Poet on the Rock

If it helps, there are disadvantages to being a Cambridge graduate - all the dinners post-graduation one has to attend, the weight of expectation to live up to the name, the girls who want to be with you only because of the name...
Reply 69
I am trying soooo very hard to focus on the good right now but Poet on the Rock just brought back all the good memories and made me sad. :frown:

I am absolutely devastated, I'm not gonna lie, I'm just trying to remain good-humoured!
Reply 70
kjc_us
I am trying soooo very hard to focus on the good right now but Poet on the Rock just brought back all the good memories and made me sad. :frown:

I am absolutely devastated, I'm not gonna lie, I'm just trying to remain good-humoured!

But this thread has cheered you up? It's cheered me up loads!! Wierdly because when the oxford students made a thread like this I also thought it was weird and really loserish but well I'm a loser, I've accepted it!
Shame poet on the rock had to bring the mood down by speaking the truth

I've been negged now, as if I didn't feel bad enough after being rejected from Cambridge now I'm being hated on in a public forum :frown: lol
Reply 71
emioly
But this thread has cheered you up? It's cheered me up loads!! Wierdly because when the oxford students made a thread like this I also thought it was weird and really loserish but well I'm a loser, I've accepted it!
Shame poet on the rock had to bring the mood down by speaking the truth

:yep: Maybe this is all a big practical joke by those mad proffesors and we all really did get in because accepted means rejected and rejected means accepted....theyre so mad......:frown:
donmcl777
:yep: Maybe this is all a big practical joke by those mad proffesors and we all really did get in because accepted means rejected and rejected means accepted....theyre so mad......:frown:

hehe, as ridiculous as this sounds, (perhaps arrogantly) I keep telling myslef to try and cheer up, that theyll change their mind and realise theyve made a mistake! I was looking at pHd options at Cambridge, but they dont get the same student life as undergraduates, and i dont know if i could be bothered after a 5 year mediacl course!
Sorry I've made people sad, I thought everyone actually believed all the "I don't care" stuff they were posting so they would mind. Sorry guys, but you were doing a really good job of preteding.

Let's just pretend forever, push the disapointment deep down inside where it will gnaw away at our souls for ever, and fix false smiles upon our faces.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Suck.
Reply 74
mattbroon
hehe, as ridiculous as this sounds, (perhaps arrogantly) I keep telling myslef to try and cheer up, that theyll change their mind and realise theyve made a mistake! I was looking at pHd options at Cambridge, but they dont get the same student life as undergraduates, and i dont know if i could be bothered after a 5 year mediacl course!

Im thinking about reapplying next year but that means a whole year of working and waiting for it, and also giving up my place at Exeter. I just think im still under Cambridges spell
mattbroon

nah Masters, PhD life at Cambridge is just not the same as undergrad life...
Poet on the Rock
Sorry I've made people sad, I thought everyone actually believed all the "I don't care" stuff they were posting so they would mind. Sorry guys, but you were doing a really good job of preteding.

Let's just push the disapointment deep down inside, where it will gnaw away at our souls for ever and fix false smiles upon our faces.

Welcome to the suck.

I'm desperately sad, was desperately sad, now i'm focussing on wanting Durham A LOT.

Why don't you ask for feedback? However, we both weren't pooled, and I think that this is a bad thing- they just didn't think that we were Cambridge material for 09 entry... you get me? xxxxxxxxxx
donmcl777
Im thinking about reapplying next year but that means a whole year of working and waiting for it, and also giving up my place at Exeter. I just think im still under Cambridges spell

Why not defer entry for exeter?

Im trying to convince myself that the rejection was because of my age. Im only 16 and dont turn 17 till february.
Reply 78
mattbroon
Why not defer entry for exeter?

Im trying to convince myself that the rejection was because of my age. Im only 16 and dont turn 17 till february.

wow, really?!
If that's true I'm sure it did have a big impact on the decision. Especially for medicine!
emioly
wow, really?!
If that's true I'm sure it did have a big impact on the decision. Especially for medicine!

Oh, i dont know whether i will feel good or bad if that is what the feedback is. Good, because it meant i was academically fine, or bad because i could have deferred and got in. If it is the main reason, i will be pissed off at my school's advice.

Latest

Trending

Trending