The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh yes. Irish accents :love:
Reply 41
caroline147
Oh yes. Irish accents :love:

I have never understood the attraction to the accent, mainly because I prob dont notice it that much... When I get over to england it should be interesting is as many people as it seems like the accent.
crypt0r
I have never understood the attraction to the accent, mainly because I prob dont notice it that much... When I get over to england it should be interesting is as many people as it seems like the accent.

I don't know, I'm not sure anyone can justify their preferences.
I only like the southern Irish accent though, not Northern Irish, sorry :p: I know there's only a subtle difference but still.
Reply 43
caroline147
I don't know, I'm not sure anyone can justify their preferences.
I only like the southern Irish accent though, not Northern Irish, sorry :p: I know there's only a subtle difference but still.

Ach damnit thats my chances gone then lol. The weirdest thing ever to happen to me happened because of my accent, standing in the toilet in one of the unions in Edinburgh with a group of about 10 guys round me just wanting to hear me speak....just a little weird lol.
ive always wanted to live in ireland, but i don't think it'll ever actually happen. too expensive and all my family lives here.
Something like that happened to me once. I went stay with my best friend, who goes to imperial, she grew up in england(her mum is irish and she lived in ireland for 7/8 years) so she has an english accent. All her guy friends were like, finally we have a real Irish accent. We went to a party one night and some of the guys were like"you're Irish? Talk" and I was like "about what?" and they were like, "the world economy, anything"

I was interesting being a novelty.
L i b
I've still yet to see the Republic, so I can't really comment. I imagine Dublin is quite nice, and I'd certainly consider it if I was going to emigrate, but I'm not really willing to at this stage. I'm happy where I am.

I doubt I'd much care for rural Ireland though.

personally i think dublins a hole, every time ive gone into the place ive thought its just an ugly city.

I spent ten years in roscommon (in the west) did my schoolin there and everything there. Move to the UK when i was 20 and have never looked back, rural irelands great for a oliday and catching up with my old friends but i wouldnt move back there at all
silverbolt
personally i think dublins a hole, every time ive gone into the place ive thought its just an ugly city.

I spent ten years in roscommon (in the west) did my schoolin there and everything there. Move to the UK when i was 20 and have never looked back, rural irelands great for a oliday and catching up with my old friends but i wouldnt move back there at all

how did you manage to ditch the irish accent? because you don't sound like you have one at all.
Reply 48
Um...no. Not because I don't like Ireland, but just that I can think of countries I would much rather live in if I were to leave.
Reply 49
Yes! My parents are English but I grew up abroad...
I've been to Ireland loads of times and have found the people SOOO much nicer than the English (from my experiences visiting family in London, Bournemouth, Manchester and Lancaster.) Irish people are very hospitable and are always up for having a good time :smile:
No ta.
Reply 51
Nope im ok here.
Nah, everything's too expensive, it's too small, and I've got troubles with understanding Irish accents. :p: (Talking on the phone with my Irish friends as a non-native speaker is always a bit of a challenge! :frown: )

A nice country to visit though, I wouldn't mind going there again to see more of the nature.
Reply 53
TOSCS
Eh? I pissed about with my A-Levels, got BCCe and got 430 points or something.

Maybe for certain courses you can do that.
For the more competitive ones, you have to do four A-levels.
Reply 54
Apollinariya
Really? :eek:

Why are you so surprised? You do realise there is still culture barriers between England and Ireland; especially after the earlier Act of Union in the 1800s which practically enabled greedy British landlords to kill Catholics.
Reply 55
lol, would you not have asked?

I grew up mainly in London and moved properly back to Ireland a few years ago. The people are so much nicer than the English it's unreal.
Don’t base your assumptions on London or all the cities, I'm from the country and the people in London were horrible. Some woman on the tube went mental at me because I didn’t know how to use the ticked barrier machine thing.
Fusion
Lower taxes, low population density, greenest landscape on earth, scenic, english speaking, next door to Britain, no terror threat, friendly, good craic, irish culture, unique national sport, Euro currency, neutral foreign policy, and has the highest birth rate in Europe.

You DO realise that most towns and cities in Ireland don't look anything like that? :yep:

But I'll swap you my spot on the emerald isle for yours. Bored of over here, want a change of scenery/accent.
Reply 57
sparkplug
You DO realise that most towns and cities in Ireland don't look anything like that? :yep:

But I'll swap you my spot on the emerald isle for yours. Bored of over here, want a change of scenery/accent.

In fairness, yes they do....
Reply 58
I'd move anywhere if it was a nicer place!:wink:
Reply 59
Yessss, so I could be like one of those merry drinkers in the magners adverts at night :o: and then be all "Top o'th'mornin' to ya" in the morning. Life would be good.

Latest

Trending

Trending