The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
also way more expensive (infact atm, alot of people from the south are coming to the north because everything is like half the price here) rainy, cold. not all that great tbh. the economy is also alot poorer and some parts are very remote and its literally like going back to living in the 60s or something. alot of irish people go 2 england for that reason. the only reason you think its great is because you aren't living there and its new and exciting
Reply 2
Lived in Dublin for a year, was quite nice. Liked it more than Belfast.
Dairy milk chocolate is different down south....it is much creamier and taste sooooo good. And if that isn't a good enough reason I don't know what is :smile:
No I wouldnt
places like ireland are OK for a short break but soon lose their novelty. in fact i give the majority of ireland 10 years before it is more than a one horse town, macdonalds have already invaded. :frown:
Reply 6
No, don't ever. I moved to Ireland when I was little and everything was so inconvenient (the school miles away, the corner shop more than 15 minutes on the A-roads) plus nearly everyone bitches about each other.
I'm not going back to live in Ireland untill I'm well ready to settle down.

I don't think it's a good place for young people who want to make their mark on the world.

I love Ireland. I'm proud to be Irish. But it's not exactly a metropolis.

And the recession in Ireland is/is going to be far worse than that in Britain. The country is f**ked for the next ten years at least.
NoPurposeTortoise
Dairy milk chocolate is different down south....it is much creamier and taste sooooo good. And if that isn't a good enough reason I don't know what is :smile:

My mom has a cousin who grew up in surrey but spent her summers visiting Ireland. She still pick up the Cadbury supplies when she's over and her kids no to never touch Mummys Irish Cadburys.
Reply 9
If I was offered a good job there, sure why not.
Audax
No, don't ever. I moved to Ireland when I was little and everything was so inconvenient (the school miles away, the corner shop more than 15 minutes on the A-roads) plus nearly everyone bitches about each other.

That is Ireland defined in a sentence. Maybe it's different if you live in the city but I can't see anywhere in Ireland being 'different' (as in not depressing). Yeah, I'm a little bitter about home lol Everyone at home seems to be racist and homophobic, even people my age.

And about tax being lower? No way! The higher rate of tax (about 45%?) kicks in a lot lower than here when you're earning £100'000k +. My mum is taxed at the higher rate and she'd earn about €40/50'000 (I don't know what!) in the bank.

.....sorry, rant over :o:
no i wouldn't move to ireland

what's craic? my penpal (she's from co. galway), used to write craic all the time too in her letters. i never knew what she was talking about.
PinkMobilePhone

what's craic? my penpal (she's from co. galway), used to write craic all the time too in her letters. i never knew what she was talking about.

Fun. :smile:
Reply 13
nah. actually would consider it so i could pick up the accent.
Reply 14
PinkMobilePhone
no i wouldn't move to ireland

lol, would you not have asked?

I grew up mainly in London and moved properly back to Ireland a few years ago. The people are so much nicer than the English it's unreal.
Fusion
Lower taxes, low population density, greenest landscape on earth, scenic, english speaking, next door to Britain, no terror threat, friendly, good craic, irish culture, unique national sport, Euro currency, neutral foreign policy, and has the highest birth rate in Europe.

is that shop street in galway city?
england can be depressing at times ,places like 'iceland' and 'dfs' and just the atmosphere is alot colder
Reply 17
Yeah, I think Ireland's a much safer and nicer enviroment to bring children up in.
Plus both my parents are Irish and I love the accent!
Are the taxes really lower over there?
Also a hell of a lot of IRA supporters in and around Armargh so all good ey?

Its not a land filled with lepricorns you know.

Grass always looks greener on the other side.
Reply 19
recesccion = epic fail for the west.

Latest

Trending

Trending