The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

crypt0r
Ach damnit thats my chances gone then lol. The weirdest thing ever to happen to me happened because of my accent, standing in the toilet in one of the unions in Edinburgh with a group of about 10 guys round me just wanting to hear me speak....just a little weird lol.

That happens. :p: x
Reply 141
angelbaby91
That happens. :p: x

Often? Lol. Do the scottish love the accent or something?
TOSCS
Multiculturalism is fantastic, but so is maintaining your own identity.

You can't really have both.
Reply 143
Dublin as a city is ridiculously expensive. I considered applying for university down south but decided against doing so purely because of how expensive it is to live there. Besides, R.O.I are currently screwed, economically speaking of course. Northern Ireland on the whole is far more prosperous, it's obviously still in recession but it's better off than England.
Reply 144
The Irish banks are far better covered than the English ones. It will affect a lot of regular people but that's only because of all the people who mortgaged their homes when property prices sky-rocketed off the back of the Celtic Tiger, and went around buying land rovers and race horses and *****. Serves them right.
StotheL
there. Besides, R.O.I are currently screwed, economically speaking of course.

Agreed!

StotheL
Northern Ireland on the whole is far more prosperous, it's obviously still in recession but it's better off than England.

I suppose you could call NI more prosperous at this moment in time, but long term it's an Economic headache.
Chocolate is rubbish down south.

And the economy ain't so hot these days.

And it depends where you go. Dublin is nice (expensive but liveable), but beyond the pale and into the sticks it can get a bit intense in terms of social norms. Personal experience only, but some small and close communities can feel a bit oppressive. But maybe that's only if you're native and feel like you can't get out, it's probably fine if you're an outsider anyway.
Reply 147
Why is it so common for Irish shops to have ice cream machines? I've never seen any in English ones, and the ice cream is so creamy too:drool:
I'd love to visit Ireland and live there at some point. Mind you i'd like to visit just about everywhere. :smile:
The popular, positive conceptions most people have of Ireland will be very hard to find in ten years time, I think. Eventually I will go back to live there permanently I think (the north that is) but not for a while.
common_person
Chocolate is rubbish down south.

Hey that's harsh. The chocolate is one of the best things. It's so much creamier. I have cousins who live (and were brought up) in england, and they still stock their fridges with Irish Cadburys.
Fusion
Why is it so common for Irish shops to have ice cream machines? I've never seen any in English ones, and the ice cream is so creamy too:drool:

Icecream + flake = win.
Reply 152
I'll never be moving back to Belfast long term, but I'd consider moving to Dublin if I had the money, but some parts are as much a **** hole as Belfast, and the Dublin accent is the worst on the island, well, after Cork.

Latest

Trending

Trending