The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Scholarships

I think LSE offer holders are all getting sent letters about this, but omg, how good do they look?! From here.

Alan Elias Scholarship - One award of £5,000 per annum to an undergraduate applicant to the Law Department.

Coca Cola Foundation Scholarship - Awards made to undergraduate applicants to any programme.

Pamela Currie Award - One award of £5,000 per annum for a female undergraduate applicant to any programme.

PricewaterhouseCoopers Lord Benson Award - Two awards of £3,000 per annum for an undergraduate applicant to any programme from a London borough.

Stonex Undergraduate Scholarship for Eastern EU students - One award of £10,000 for an undergraduate from any programme from one of the following countries: Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia.

Undergraduate Economics Scholarship - One award of £11,000 per annum to an undergraduate applicant to the Economics Department.

Dangoor Scholarships - One year only scholarships open to all English and Welsh students commencing an undergraduate programme at the LSE in October 2005. The scholarships are worth £1,000 for 2005/6 only and are only valid at the institution you have applied for.

Stelios Scholarships - 10 new scholarships for 2005/06 undergraduate entrants with a value of £5,000 each year. You must be applying for a business related programme of study to be considered for one of these awards.

Economics people are sooo lucky!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How do LSE decide who to give scholarships to? What do you need?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2

how good do they look?!

Not particularly brilliant, if you ask me. I am not trying to argue that there is not quite a bit of money in circulation in and around the LSE, however, compared to the number of students, these scholarships are hardly to be considered very significant. I guess listing students with pointlessly rich parents would have about the same significance; one would see that there are a few people for whom money is of no concern during their time at university, yet it does not apply to a significant proportion of the student body.

I do of course recognise its relative value as compared to quite a few other institutions, yet I do not see it as very relevant for the general judgment of an institution, nor very valuable for the general student.
Reply 3
noctivaga
Not particularly brilliant, if you ask me. I am not trying to argue that there is not quite a bit of money in circulation in and around the LSE, however, compared to the number of students, these scholarships are hardly to be considered very significant. I guess listing students with pointlessly rich parents would have about the same significance; one would see that there are a few people for whom money is of no concern during their time at university, yet it does not apply to a significant proportion of the student body.

I do of course recognise its relative value as compared to quite a few other institutions, yet I do not see it as very relevant for the general judgment of an institution, nor very valuable for the general student.

LSE turned down the application of the daughter of billioner steel tycon MITTEL who pledged LSE 200,000 pounds not just once but twice.
Reply 4
Musafir_85
LSE turned down the application of the daughter of billioner steel tycon MITTEL who pledged LSE 200,000 pounds not just once but twice.

does anyone know what she was applying for. Economics i assume.
Reply 5
deianra
I think LSE offer holders are all getting sent letters about this, but omg, how good do they look?! From here.

Alan Elias Scholarship - One award of £5,000 per annum to an undergraduate applicant to the Law Department.

Coca Cola Foundation Scholarship - Awards made to undergraduate applicants to any programme.

Pamela Currie Award - One award of £5,000 per annum for a female undergraduate applicant to any programme.

PricewaterhouseCoopers Lord Benson Award - Two awards of £3,000 per annum for an undergraduate applicant to any programme from a London borough.

Stonex Undergraduate Scholarship for Eastern EU students - One award of £10,000 for an undergraduate from any programme from one of the following countries: Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia.

Undergraduate Economics Scholarship - One award of £11,000 per annum to an undergraduate applicant to the Economics Department.

Dangoor Scholarships - One year only scholarships open to all English and Welsh students commencing an undergraduate programme at the LSE in October 2005. The scholarships are worth £1,000 for 2005/6 only and are only valid at the institution you have applied for.

Stelios Scholarships - 10 new scholarships for 2005/06 undergraduate entrants with a value of £5,000 each year. You must be applying for a business related programme of study to be considered for one of these awards.

Economics people are sooo lucky!

Not huge sums of money at all, but there is alot more than monetary value to these scholarships.
Is anyone here thinking of applying? Although some have said that it isn't a large sum of money it would certainly help? :smile:
Reply 7
I am definetely thinking of applying, I am going to need all the money I can get.
Reply 8
How do LSE decide who to give scholarships to? What do you need?
Reply 9
not fair.....these scholarships aren't scholarships in the real sense of word...they are mosr like bursaries....so ppl like me can't qualify (u have to declare parents incomes and stuff)
Musafir_85

Yeah, the same Mittal who is in today's paper for gifting himself a £140m share dividend! £200,000 is clearly nothing to him; surely he can do better than that. :wink:
Reply 11
Musafir_85

mittel didnt give £200,000 in the end as promised after her daughter was rejected. :rolleyes:
zip it123
not fair.....these scholarships aren't scholarships in the real sense of word...they are mosr like bursaries....so ppl like me can't qualify (u have to declare parents incomes and stuff)

From what I understood from reading the descriptions from the LSE website, some of the scholarships didn't seem to be based solely on income. The forms are universal for all scholarships some of which are based on ability to pay, so it follows they will ask for that information. I think I'm just going to have a go, as it won't harm in trying to get one :wink:
Reply 13
Musafir_85

Could you please point out where I discussed the income of parents with regards to admissions in my post? I was only talking about the economy of being a student once you're there, and how those bursaries have little impact on the general student welfare, and from that I made a comparison to the relative significance of scholarships and rich parents. Whether admissions is biased towards the rich is an entirely different matter.
Reply 14
noctivaga
Could you please point out where I discussed the income of parents with regards to admissions in my post? I was only talking about the economy of being a student once you're there, and how those bursaries have little impact on the general student welfare, and from that I made a comparison to the relative significance of scholarships and rich parents. Whether admissions is biased towards the rich is an entirely different matter.

i didnt have enough time to waste for reading long thread so i did wrote mine what sprang in my mind at that time.
Reply 15
my parents both have a good incomes but a lot of the money is spent on other things such as my sisters school for dyslexic etc. do you think that i could be suitable for a grant?
Reply 16
The well, i think you would. I am in a similar situation, my brother is currently at a private school and the fees are constantly going up, and my parents said to me that I should fund my own education at Uni ( i mean they will help if i am really really desperate), but on paper i should be able to pay. So i am applying.
Reply 17
i heard that you have to write a 500 word personal statement saying why you deserve the scholarship. Is this true??
TheWolf
Not huge sums of money at all, but there is alot more than monetary value to these scholarships.

I'm afraid this conversation is on the wrong track: LSE currently offers some £4million per annum in various types of financial assistance to students...check it out on the School website....
Reply 19

Latest

Trending

Trending