The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
abdelb
There would have been calls for him to quit as PM.

So what will happen to Harry?

What if , What if, What if ...

Poitntless thread.

What if GB was caught masturbating in public?
What if GB was caught with a hooker? etc

What if, what if, what if
abdelb
Regardless.... there would have been calls for him to resign.

not at all, people are sensible enough to realise that a word in certain contexts means different things.

for example

take the "F***K", highly insulting in certain contexts yes? if the PM said it publicly he would be told to resign, yet you think he doesnt swear?

if he told a mate to "f**K off" it wouldnt mean anything

if he told a member of the public to there would be uproar

same applies
Reply 22
Meliae
What's Harry supposed to do? Resign from being a prince? I.e. his father's son. Besides, Harry isn't in power and this was 3 years ago anyway, used in a non-offensive way.

Is that so? I'm sure if you were Pakistani you would think differently, my dear.
As someone said, Harry can't stop being a Royal, no matter what he says or does his genes can't be changed.

If Brown said it then he'd be in deep crap :p:
Reply 24
There is too much sensationalism and political correctness today. I know the term 'paki' is generally seen as offensive but to a friend could be an endearing term. Some of my friends call some of theirs feiniens or mexicans because they are from a different political and religious persuasion from them but these are no meant offensively they are actually meant as a term of friendship and that is the way they are taken. If, as Harry has said, he used the word 'paki' (or if I remember right the full phrase 'my little paki friend') as a term of endearment (obviously as long as the person in question accepts it that way) then who is anyone to question it?
Reply 25
Shaun1991
So what, it's only like saying 'Brit'.

brit and paki hardly have the same meaning in context does it:rolleyes:
Shaun1991
So what, it's only like saying 'Brit'.

:eyeball: Are you being serious?
Reply 27
OMG, it's no big deal.

I'll be honest, I always thought it was a racist word when applied to any Indian, due to the obvious fact that all Indians are not from Pakistan. At the end of the day, it's nothing more than a shortened version of Pakistani, just like Brit or Scot.
GaL_dem
there would be uproar and quite rightly so, although i am offended by what prince harry said i understand it was in jest and was abit of banter between him and his mates, nevertheless the word is offensive to me and im sure many others

of course it is offensive in the public arena, yet he wasnt acting in a public office at the time, the only people broadcasting it and offending people are the gutter press attempting to offend people
GaL_dem
brit and paki hardly have the same meaning in context does it:rolleyes:

yea paki is much more politically charged so that argument is a non starter, however the context argument i would say is undeniable...
Reply 30
yes i agree, he would have resigned, just like harry should have reisgned from being born, OH WAIT.
Inflation
:eyeball: Are you being serious?

Deadly.
abdelb
There would have been calls for him to quit as PM.

So what will happen to Harry?

Well if it wasn't used in an abusive context then i would be fine with it but i doubt the rest of the country would feel the saem way (e.g. if he said 'i cant believe harry said the word paki!' that would be cool :p:)

In any case, he probably wouldn't be safe walking the streets of bradford again :laughing:
Norfolkadam
Gordon Brown isn't a young, unelected person who is in the army with it's laddish culture.
/thread end

Inflation
Are you being serious?
It is. Why is Saudi, Brit, Yank, not considered offensive, but Paki is? C-O-N-T-E-X-T
Reply 34
Meliae
What's Harry supposed to do? Resign from being a prince? I.e. his father's son. Besides, Harry isn't in power and this was 3 years ago anyway, used in a non-offensive way. Can you imagine Gordon Brown filming himself 'joking with friends'? :P

PM Brown is a serious guy... these sort of words will never come out of his mouth.

Cameron's yes!!
I get offended when americans call me a brit
cowsgoquack
what if he had tourettes

Then he wouldn't be PM... :rolleyes:
Reply 37
pamelaa
Is that so? I'm sure if you were Pakistani you would think differently, my dear.

I thought about editing that to make it more clear but I figured people would understand what I meant....

What I meant was he wasn't using it to insult the person, and the person he was actually referring to didn't seem to have a problem with it. It's not like he said 'those ******* paki scum should get the **** out of our country', or anything along those lines.
Reply 38
SillyFencer

At the end of the day, it's nothing more than a shortened version of Pakistani, just like Brit or Scot.

No, it's not.
Mathematician!
Then he wouldn't be PM... :rolleyes:

what if it was tourettes where he spontaneously and uncontrollably said really relevant and useful things?

Latest

Trending

Trending