The Student Room Group
It's not quantity, but quality that's important. That phase has been done to death but with good reason.
Reply 2
For UG it's 4000 characters and/or 47 lines.
Thought for PG it's the same.
Reply 3
Lindath

For UG it's 4000 characters and/or 47 lines.
Thought for PG it's the same.

No, that's not true. There is no UCAS or any other centrally administrated admissions process for postgraduate applications, so it's up to the unis themselves to set their own requirements. OP - most unis will give you a rough idea of what they want. If you can't find any specific guidelines about it, then this probably means that they just want you to use your commonsense. Don't write loads but don't write too little - you have to judge for yourself whether you're giving unnecssary information or not. You could always e-mail them and ask if you're worried about. I would probably stick to around one to two pages, certainly no more than two pages. My MA English Literature PS was exactly a page.
Reply 4
rottcodd
No, that's not true. There is no UCAS or any other centrally administrated admissions process for postgraduate applications, so it's up to the unis themselves to set their own requirements. OP - most unis will give you a rough idea of what they want. If you can't find any specific guidelines about it, then this probably means that they just want you to use your commonsense. Don't write loads but don't write too little - you have to judge for yourself whether you're giving unnecssary information or not. You could always e-mail them and ask if you're worried about. I would probably stick to around one to two pages, certainly no more than two pages. My MA English Literature PS was exactly a page.

Are you talking about single spaced or double spaced?
Reply 5
I did one and a half. Single is too difficult to read and I personally think double looks really ugly, despite my department making it compulsory to do so (which I ignore, becuase I'm such a rebel).
Mine was less than a page
I've applied for English Lit, too. I wrote exactly a page. Although, I haven't been accepted yet...
Reply 8
rottcodd

:o: never stop learning!
Reply 9
Most of mine were a few lines more than one page. But I got a lot into that page and anything more would've felt like rambling.
Reply 10
Sunflower52
Most of mine were a few lines more than one page. But I got a lot into that page and anything more would've felt like rambling.

One page single spaced? I'm still a bit confused. I currently have a statement that's around 800 words--is this way too long?
verses
One page single spaced? I'm still a bit confused. I currently have a statement that's around 800 words--is this way too long?

Yea, single spaced. Cambridge wanted a short statement, so that one was shorter. The LSE one was around 650 words. I couldn't think of any more to write about myself. I understand that a lot of people go to around 1,000 words, so I'm sure 800 is fine.
Reply 12
wrote 650 for LSE, :biggrin:
Reply 13
Lindath
:o: never stop learning!

:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending