The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Topmanfaz
They were victims of racism. Just because you are victimised for being a Jew, it doesn't give you the right to establish a Jewish homeland in Israel where Palestinians lived peacefully together with Jews.

What? :lolwut:

What gives these people the right to label Uganda as a Jewish homeland for Jews across the world?

"the mainstream Zionist movement never doubted its 'historical right' to impose a Jewish state through the 'Right of Return' on the indigenous Arab population of Palestine" - taken from Finkelstein, 2003, 'Image and Reality of the Israel-Palestine Conflict', p. 8
So all who have an ancestral claim to the land, according to Zionism should have a right to return.

Yes it is a Jewish state established, but we have the two state solution for this very reason, two sides who have polarised views on this land, well they need to separated. Hence you have Palestine and Israel.

I think you are also forgetting that Jews have just as much claim to this land as Arabs, I think it is somewhat unfair to only take this back 45 years. We should look as far back as possible and realise that this is a special land and the home of three faiths. However two can't get along and the way to solve the problem is to partition the land.

Israelis and Palestinians did not live peacefully together before hand, see the Great Arab revolt of 1936.

---

Well the people that offered it to them was what became the UN. So it was their idea.
ypo
Why not?

What's the difference between Japan wanting to be completely Japanese and subsets of Israeli society wanting Israel to be completely Jewish?

Because for Israel to be wholly Jewish it would have to force out Israeli muslims, christians and druze.

Japan and Korea on the other hand simply have to restrict immigration.
Reply 42
jamessimth5
Because for Israel to be wholly Jewish it would have to force out Israeli muslims, christians and druze.

Japan and Korea on the other hand simply have to restrict immigration.

Sure, but how is the fundamental ideology different?

I do know that for Japan to be completely ethnically homogeneous it would have to expel over a million Koreans, Chinese and native Ainu.
If zionism isn't racist, neither is the BNP.
Reply 44
Seven_Three
If zionism isn't racist, neither is the BNP.

Or any other movement espousing homogeneous ethnic homelands for that matter.
ypo
Sure, but how is the fundamental ideology different?

I do know that for Japan to be completely ethnically homogeneous it would have to expel over a million Koreans, Chinese and native Ainu.

The Japs accept the Koreans to be similar to themselves, just like the Nazi's claimed affnity to Swedes, native french .etc.

There is quite a fundamental difference in a 60-year old country hated by much of the world and indeed its neighbours expelling people who were mainly there before the jews emigrated on mass back to Israel and Japan and korea restricting immigration.
ypo
Or any other movement espousing homogeneous ethnic homelands for that matter.

Well actually I take that back. You could call Zionists racist because they want to set up a new state in land which was not theirs (wether it is now is debatable), the BNP only want to keep what is thiers so to speak.
'Racism' is a meaningless concept anyway, nothing and everything is racist so it has no meaning.
Reply 47
jamessimth5
The Japs accept the Koreans to be similar to themselves, just like the Nazi's claimed affnity to Swedes, native french .etc.

They certainly do not. Colonization and Korean slavery aside, the Japanese by no means consider themselves similar to Koreans. The notion of a common origin for the Korean and Japanese languages is a huge taboo in Japan. From my experiences in Japan, I would say the Japanese are more likely to associate themselves culturally with Westerners than Koreans or any other East Asians for that matter.

jamessimth5
There is quite a fundamental difference in a 60-year old country hated by much of the world

Japan is absolutely hated by literally all of East Asia.

jamessimth5
and indeed its neighbours expelling people who were mainly there before the jews emigrated on mass back to Israel and Japan and korea restricting immigration.

The Ainu are native to Japan. Japanese nationalist groups don't seem to be concerned with this fact...
Reply 48
Seven_Three
'Racism' is a meaningless concept anyway, nothing and everything is racist so it has no meaning.

Agreed. Can anyone here actually define, in their own words, what racism is?
Reply 49
Seven_Three
Well actually I take that back. You could call Zionists racist because they want to set up a new state in land which was not theirs (wether it is now is debatable), the BNP only want to keep what is thiers so to speak.

Care to expand on the bit in bold?
Reply 50
reems23
Care to expand on the bit in bold?

How do you define racism?
Reply 51
ypo
Agreed. Can anyone here actually define, in their own words, what racism is?

Discrimination against a group of people because of there country of origin [or ethnic background].

That wasn't so hard?
would you believe it - the british/european royal family and there serving politicians are zionists?
reems23
Discrimination against a group of people because of there country of origin.

That wasn't so hard?

So is positive discrimination racism? The Labour party do that. And so I can technically be racist to someone from Wales even if both my parents are from Wales, but I live in England? That doesn't make much sense does it.
Reply 54
reems23
Discrimination against a group of people because of there country of origin.

That wasn't so hard?

By this logic saying Nigerians are on average darker in skin complexion than Swedes is racist since it explicity notes and perceives a difference (i.e. discriminates) between two groups with different countries of origin.
Reply 55
Seven_Three
So is positive discrimination racism? The Labour party do that. And so I can technically be racist to someone from Wales even if both my parents are from Wales, but I live in England? That doesn't make much sense does it.

Well by definition you are correct, it is still racism. But as you said, the examples don't make sense, and so a little bit of common sense is required. My definition was only a brief one. If you want a definitive one, the oxford dictionary is the way forward.
Reply 56
economicsessex
would you believe it - the british/european royal family and there serving politicians are zionists?

No I wouldn't believe it.
Reply 57
ypo
By this logic saying Nigerians are on average darker in skin complexion than Swedes is racist since it explicity notes and perceives a difference (i.e. discriminates) between two groups with different countries of origin.

1. to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality: The new law discriminates against foreigners. He discriminates in favor of his relatives.
2. to note or observe a difference; distinguish accurately: to discriminate between things.

I was using definition one.
Reply 58
ypo

Discrimination is acting on a prejudice, how is noting differences discrimination?
Reply 59
reems23
I was using definition one.

So by your definition a statement like...

Blacks are lazy, stupid subhumans, Whites are pasty-skinned paedophiles, Arabs are filthy inbred sand-n*ggers, Desis are greasy-haired jungle monkeys, Orientals are slanted-eye paddy field dwellers and Jews are evil, hook-nosed money merchants.

...would not be considered racist?

Latest

Trending

Trending