The Student Room Group

Should fat people lose weight?

Poll

Should fat people lose weight?

Okay, firstly I shall propose a question that you shall answer via the ingenious medium of a poll: Should fat people lose weight? Should they be either encouraged or forced to lose weight?

Secondly: why are fat people fat? Why do they continue to be fat? Are they not aware of their fatness? Do you think fat people are just generally depressed/lazy? Does fat = greed?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on what's under the layer of GREASE :eek:
Reply 2
No.

What a ******* stupid question.
As obesity is bad for you, people should be encouraged to lose weight... but as long as they know the risks its up to them what weight they want to be.

Though obviously most fat people do not want to be fat, in which case its up to them to do something about it.
Thet shouldn't be forced to be...

Edit: You're Anarchist aren't you? Wouldn't forcing people to do anything be against your morals?
Reply 5
I think people should be allowed to be whatever weight they want to be. If someone wants to lose weight, they can; otherwise, why should they?

I believe people are fat for a number of reasons; none of which should be criticised.
Reply 6
Surely 'fat' in this context is a subjective term and therefore we can't really decide? :P
for health reasons yes obese people should lose weight. It's not good for their hearts, and they should be positively encouraged to lose weight. help should be given to them, as it's not easy to lose weight when you're obese.

they should not be FORCED to though. that's going a bit far.
Reply 8
no they should gain weight
its up to them

im fat...i know im fat...if i didnt want to be fat i would increase my calorie deficit etc...

i think fat people should be educated better and in more simple terms how they could loose weight.

throwing science words at them doesnt help...it makes it seem impossible.
Reply 10
Being underweight is bad for you, especially when you're old. Having your weight yo-yo due to dieting is absolutely awful for you.
Yes I should lose weight.
I'm fat because I ate too much.
I won't lose weight if I am forced to, I will eat more.

Next question?
If they like.
Reply 13
Completely up to them.

I personally think it would be very uncomfortable to be fat and wouldn't want to be in that position, ergo I exercise. However, I do have a pretty good metabolism so I can put a pack of jaffa cakes away and it wouldn't affect me. This, I admit, is very greedy but I am not fat, so fat does not always equal greedy.

What does piss me off is when people say "oh, I can't exercise, it's just not for me. I can't do it. I can't run etc etc." Yes you ******* well can. You can walk so you can run.
Reply 14
What energy goes in > what energy is expended

That is all it is. It's peoples choice whether to sustain this or not. Lots of psychobabble and moaning, but the above inequality sums it up.

Btw I have a BMI in the 30s so i'm no fat hater. I just don't buy all of that slow metabolism ********.
Reply 15
Weight should only be lost if they are causing self inflicting illnesses/walking problems. Some people may be depressed or don't know how to maintain a healthy diet/exercise.
Oh Punktopia- I remember you epic poem about fat people a while ago- it moved me :wink:
People can weight whatever they want, as long as they deal with the consequences.

I personally find fat people disgusting and an abhoration.

However, it would be unfair of me to push my opinions onto others.
AdaD

What does piss me off is when people say "oh, I can't exercise, it's just not for me. I can't do it. I can't run etc etc." Yes you ******* well can. You can walk so you can run.

a lot of obese people CAN'T walk. Not more than a few steps anyway.
And no bloody way can they run if they can't even walk!
Reply 19
If they want to why not but they should be encourage for health reasons and help should be available

Latest

Trending

Trending