The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Firstly,can you not quote this whole post as I think I will prob delete it later, ta.

Ok, phd app woes. It wants two people down as referees. It also says "Please try to avoid using someone as a referee if they are likely to be one of the supervisors of the project as this gives them a conflict of interest." The person I've used as my first referee on other apps is my potential first supe. I went through and made a list of everyone who has ever taught me at uni, and only five of them are teaching now. Of those five, one is aforementioned potential supe, two haven't marked any academic work, one taught me in second year and did my second references but is v busy and one marked a recent essay but is a phd student himself.
What do I do? :bawling:
Acaila
Firstly,can you not quote this whole post as I think I will prob delete it later, ta.

What do I do? :bawling:

It only says to avoid trying to use somebody, so if I were in the same situation I'd go for my potential supervisor as one and then pick the person who'd seen more of me for second.

On the former, I think he'll carry a lot of weight, I was refereed by my potential supervisor when I applied for a PhD and he really, really, argued my corner (and his!). With the second person, I wouldn't worry too much, university tutors are excellent at supporting students, be it in writing references for PhDs, or jobs. If possible can you provide them, maybe, with samples of your work, to bolster their opinion of you?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get better advice from people who actually went on to do a PhD.
I used my main supervisor as a reference - she'd supervised my Bachelors and Masters dissertations as well. I then found another supervisor who'd taught me in 3rd year of my Bachelors. Wasn't any problem with uni or AHRC.
I also used my primary supervisor as my referee - again, didn't cause any problems and I suspect probably helped.
Reply 1984
I do think it would help, though apparently the Dean who decides is very fussy about doing things on forms right. I've emailed potential supe anyway. Now to email the other one and hope she is not too busy - it's just a contact details thing, no actual ref, and I'm hoping with an internal applicant they might just catch her in a corridor or something so it won't be too much of a job for her.
{won't calm down until it's in}
Reply 1985
Right, both e-mailed, fingers crossed. I do hope potential supe can do it, because she's the only person available who's taught me for more than a year of my degree :s-smilie:
On another note, applying for postgrad in your final year is so suck-tastic. Makes me realise how great the Scottish school system is for applying for undergrad - got your important grades by the time you apply, so you're not in a muddle of massive work and stress.
Anyone involved with the AHRC BGP process, thought you might want to read this:

"The AHRC reserves the right to request further information from the BGP coordinator or to decline a nomination if the student and/or course of study do not meet the published eligibility criteria or BGP studentship profile, or if the recruitment process appears to have been unfair." (taken from: http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Documents/BGP%20Award%20Holder%20Guide.pdf)

So effectively, unless your nominating institution makes a complete balls up, the AHRC just confirms the nomination. So IT IS up to the universities themselves. Well suppose that's a step in the right direction.
apotoftea
Anyone involved with the AHRC BGP process, thought you might want to read this:

"The AHRC reserves the right to request further information from the BGP coordinator or to decline a nomination if the student and/or course of study do not meet the published eligibility criteria or BGP studentship profile, or if the recruitment process appears to have been unfair." (taken from: http://www.ahrc.ac.uk/FundingOpportunities/Documents/BGP%20Award%20Holder%20Guide.pdf)

So effectively, unless your nominating institution makes a complete balls up, the AHRC just confirms the nomination. So IT IS up to the universities themselves. Well suppose that's a step in the right direction.

Talking of the AHRC, am I allowed to apply to more than one BGP scheme?

(My almost four years of being a law student hasn't prepared me for trying to understand the AHRC)
LLB Kevin
Talking of the AHRC, am I allowed to apply to more than one BGP scheme?

(My almost four years of being a law student hasn't prepared me for trying to understand the AHRC)

I think you need a PhD to understand the AHRC :rolleyes: You can apply to as many as you like (I've got 2) and if you're stupidly lucky to be nominated by all the institutions you apply for, you just select your favorite and they submit your nomination form to the AHRC.

Seeing that as part of the deal, the studentships have to be advertised to "attract the best candidates" keep your eyes peeled :wink:
apotoftea
I think you need a PhD to understand the AHRC :rolleyes: You can apply to as many as you like (I've got 2) and if you're stupidly lucky to be nominated by all the institutions you apply for, you just select your favorite and they submit your nomination form to the AHRC.

Seeing that as part of the deal, the studentships have to be advertised to "attract the best candidates" keep your eyes peeled :wink:

Wonderful!

I know my department's got one BGP place to allocate, but they haven't advertised it yet, which seems strange to me, as it's a very international department (I'm only aware of two UK PhDs) and you'd think they'd want to use it to try to attract more UK applicants. Also (aren't internal rumours great?) I've heard it on the grapevine that the head of the panel allocating general university scholarships has it in for the law department, so I've been quietly warned not to expect any money from outside the department itself :rolleyes:
LLB Kevin
Wonderful!

I know my department's got one BGP place to allocate, but they haven't advertised it yet, which seems strange to me, as it's a very international department (I'm only aware of two UK PhDs) and you'd think they'd want to use it to try to attract more UK applicants. Also (aren't internal rumours great?) I've heard it on the grapevine that the head of the panel allocating general university scholarships has it in for the law department, so I've been quietly warned not to expect any money from outside the department itself :rolleyes:

I've not seen current uni advertise yet, bar on their website. Might be worth buying the Guardian tomorrow (as much as it pains me to say it) as Tuesday is HE jobs & studentship advertisements day
Really? Didn't know that, I'll probably get it too then.
LLB Kevin
Really? Didn't know that, I'll probably get it too then.

Yup, swear it's Tuesdays. Also www.jobs.ac.uk is a really good one :biggrin:
apotoftea
I think you need a PhD to understand the AHRC :rolleyes:

Sounds like Bologna Process - for a while the only person who actually understood it was someone who'd written a PhD on it.

MB
apotoftea
Yup, swear it's Tuesdays. Also www.jobs.ac.uk is a really good one :biggrin:

Yeah, jobs.ac.uk's quite handy: it always gives me hope when I see adverts along the lines of "junior lecturer required. Must have LLB." :tongue:
LLB Kevin
Yeah, jobs.ac.uk's quite handy: it always gives me hope when I see adverts along the lines of "junior lecturer required. Must have LLB." :tongue:

More like 'Junior lecturer required. Must have PhD, two years' post-doc and teaching experience, and a willingness to work like a dog for very little pay'
IlexAquifolium
More like 'Junior lecturer required. Must have PhD, two years' post-doc and teaching experience, and a willingness to work like a dog for very little pay'

Then in small print "must have no life, no commitments and prepared to sell own soul to the devil"
Aagh, potential supervisor wants to ring me - I don't know if my nerves could take it :eek:
LLB Kevin
Aagh, potential supervisor wants to ring me - I don't know if my nerves could take it :eek:

Eeeek, rather you than me!
Reply 1999
LLB Kevin

Hah, my flatmate was having kittens (no, she didn't sleep with the cat) about doing that. She'd applied without telling her current lab that she was leaving, and it turned out one of the people she ended up talking to was a friend of her boss... FAIL :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending