The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Alasdair
Cake from the girlfriend (becoming worryingly less of a shorthand), cake from the bosses nine-year old daughter, Paul Smith perfume and a Paris Moleskin from the boss herself, drinking money from the girls in the office, and a MASSIVE DALEK BALLOON!!!

Wow, you must be a popular geezah! That sounds like a lovely collection...
And I've just had my official present from the company - a litre of Smirnoff Blue. Yikes!
Reply 582
Alasdair
And I've just had my official present from the company - a litre of Smirnoff Blue. Yikes!

Good lord, where do you work?
Reply 583
Alasdair
Cake from the girlfriend (becoming worryingly less of a shorthand), cake from the bosses nine-year old daughter, Paul Smith perfume and a Paris Moleskin from the boss herself, drinking money from the girls in the office, and a MASSIVE DALEK BALLOON!!!

1. Why is it worrying? :p:

2. That's a lot of cake.

3. Nice presents from the boss!

4. Balloons are so cool :biggrin:

I'm going for coffee and to the cinema to see Revolutionary Road later. Ooh yeah. I will present the possiblity of BOGOF wagamama at this time :cool:
Arggh wish people would stop saying it was only a couple of inches of snow. No, it wasn't, hence why there were SO many problems yesterday.

I passed my first essay :biggrin: (don't know the mark) but I passed :biggrin: Plus had a vote of confidence off a tutor re: phd application yay :biggrin:
Reply 585
Becca
1. Why is it worrying? :p:

2. That's a lot of cake.

3. Nice presents from the boss!

4. Balloons are so cool :biggrin:

I'm going for coffee and to the cinema to see Revolutionary Road later. Ooh yeah. I will present the possiblity of BOGOF wagamama at this time :cool:

Naughty Revolutionary road will probably depress you. Just warning.
Reply 586
Nyet
Naughty Revolutionary road will probably depress you. Just warning.

Oh ok, thanks. It did look pretty miserable in the trailers, which is one reason I wanted to see it :p:
You're talking to a girl who deliberately watches films that will make her cry on a regular basis and if she hasn't got time to watch a film, will look up clips of the sad bits on youtube :biggrin:
the_alba
So [...] people [are] such *****

What field does they guy work in? Can't you take one of his ****** papers and publish an absolute hatchet job? Or would that be petty?

People who are in academia for the education tend to have too much of a conscience; they are self-reflective and self-doubting, and naturally care about the quality of their work because they constantly look for weaknesses in their arguments, &c &c. They're simply smarter than the careerist types, who never question value or integrity. They also are more easily distracted by everything they don't know and want to work on, and tend to be unhappy because they lack self-assurance. Ignorance is the most powerful confidence-booster.

Not everyone is like this though. I think you just have to keep repeating that. You're only talking about a brace of tosspots here.

Can't you take comfort from the fact that you could intellectually destroy them? eg. that woman's reply to your point is a non-sequitur. It's ******* shameful sheeyat that an academic can't argue properly.

Also when you have time can you answer my PM? I really want to pick your Beckettian brains re. aphasia.
Reply 588
Becca
Oh ok, thanks. It did look pretty miserable in the trailers, which is one reason I wanted to see it :p:
You're talking to a girl who deliberately watches films that will make her cry on a regular basis and if she hasn't got time to watch a film, will look up clips of the sad bits on youtube :biggrin:

haha! Fair enough, you'll certainly get your money's worth then! To add extra value to the depressing package, it also ruins the wistful ending of Titanic into the bargain, because you can't help thinking that this is what would have happened if they had both actually made it to the other side of the Atlantic and settled into suburbia...
Happy McBirthday Al.

I'm being hardcore today - going to a concert tonight of the complete Elliott Carter string quartets.

MB
Reply 590
Nyet
haha! Fair enough, you'll certainly get your money's worth then! To add extra value to the depressing package, it also ruins the wistful ending of Titanic into the bargain, because you can't help thinking that this is what would have happened if they had both actually made it to the other side of the Atlantic and settled into suburbia...

Ahh, I never thought of that!
Maybe because I HATED Titanic, and still do, with a somewhat unhealthy passion...
I really want to see The Reader but nearest cinema isn't showing it :mad:
Reply 592
apotoftea
I really want to see The Reader but nearest cinema isn't showing it :mad:

Avoid it, it is a poisonous and blasé piece of work, sentimental and appalling by equal measure. If you can find anywhere showing The Wrestler,' or even Milk, failing that, then see one of those two (preferably the former). Becca-if you like films that make you cry, you will love The Wrestler.
Reply 593
Nyet
Avoid it, it is a poisonous and blasé piece of work, sentimental and appalling by equal measure. If you can find anywhere showing The Wrestler,' or even Milk, failing that, then see one of those two (preferably the former). Becca-if you like films that make you cry, you will love The Wrestler.

I will echo the Milk suggestion. So good. I cried at it :colondollar:

I'm planning on watching The Wrestler with my bf in a couple of weeks. :cool:
Found this (amazingly bad) advert on the tube and it made me think of PQ.

MB
Reply 595
Hahahaha, that's amazing, Jacob.

*wonders where on the body you can find the bournemouth*
Becca
Hahahaha, that's amazing, Jacob.

*wonders where on the body you can find the bournemouth*

Aww, what an innocent naif you are - never even kissed a bournemouth...
Reply 597
musicbloke
Found this (amazingly bad) advert on the tube and it made me think of PQ.

MB

I thought the Weybridge one is more silly :p:
Reply 598
Alasdair
Aww, what an innocent naif you are - never even kissed a bournemouth...

Just because I'm not a slaaaaag like you!
Reply 599
I'm quite depressed at the lack of snow here. ROFLing at Londoners overreacting is fun and all, but I'm missing out :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending