The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

17 year olds who go clubbing and are virgins are probably slightly rarer, but the question of 'respect' is very subjective anyway so I wouldn't worry about it.
reems23
:hmmm: Research in America has shown it to be 20-24.

Well it isn't in Britain. The average age is 16-18 in the UK, and 17 worldwide. America is a very different country to Britain, there's a lot of factors that change things.
Reply 22
It's really not that rare. Weird question for them to ask you though... :s-smilie:
Reply 23
Joanna May
Well it isn't in Britain. The average age is 16-18 in the UK, and 17 worldwide. America is a very different country to Britain, there's a lot of factors that change things.

Hmmm.
reems23
Hmmm.

Hmm what? It's true. :eyeball:
At school some lady who spoke to us about sex said it is about 50% of 17 year olds who are virgins so really not that rare.
Reply 26
Joanna May
Hmm what? It's true. :eyeball:

Nothing, I'm hmmming because it's interesting.
Reply 27
EskimoJo
If you thought it was completely normal to be a virgin at 17 why were you so reluctant to 'admit' it? :s-smilie:

Because it was a random older guy asking her?
Belle88

I was about to say the same.
Reply 29
Belle88

Not a middle-aged guy who sat next to her on the bus. A guy a year older. A guy who she had already told her age and presumably her name and probably other details like where she's from and what she's studying. They were probably talking about sex or flirting somehow. Really, it's not that strange, what harm will they do with that information?
Anyway, my main issue was the use of the word 'admitted' which made it seem like being a virgin was something wrong, even though the OP assumed most her age were. Just thought that was confusing. :dontknow:
Belle88

to be honest: if I was into the whole hooking up and sleeping with strangers thing which I'm not, then I would probably ask a girl if she was a virgin while we were flirting and she was slightly drunk because I would feel so guilty if I slept with a girl and took her virginity from her instead of somebody she was in love with.

Maybe they were just decent guys?
Reply 31
Those guys u talked to sound like knobs. Seriously, I get so annoyed with this attitudes that a few members of the opposite sex have about virgins. Either they "respect" you or think your frigid. I say lose your virginity when you want, with who you want so long as your not being pressurised by anyone. This is coming from a 21 year old virgin so your not alone hun.
Reply 32
d123
Nope it's normal.

They were probably just trying to sound smooth or something

operative word = trying :laughing:

OP, I hate people who ask me 'personal business', it's so intrusive. Just avoid/ignore them. They sound like fools.
Something doesn't have to be rare to be respect... I respect the choice not to murder. Fortunately that's a very prevalent choice. I do respect people for being virgins rather than 'giving it up'; not because it's rare, but because i think it's a valuable and proper choice to have made.

I would dispute the alleged statistics above though. Maybe Joanna May could show some evidence for her assertions?
Reply 34
EskimoJo
Not a middle-aged guy who sat next to her on the bus. A guy a year older. A guy who she had already told her age and presumably her name and probably other details like where she's from and what she's studying. They were probably talking about sex or flirting somehow. Really, it's not that strange, what harm will they do with that information?
Anyway, my main issue was the use of the word 'admitted' which made it seem like being a virgin was something wrong, even though the OP assumed most her age were. Just thought that was confusing. :dontknow:

It's cause I didn't really know them and I didn't see why they needed to know. And we weren't talking about sex before really, they just asked out of no where. Snd I don't think they wanted to have sex with us either there wasn't much flirting going on tbh.
I don't know many virgins of that age...
Neither uncommon nor weird nor rare. Completely and utterly normal.

/End.
Reply 37
reems23
They were just trying to unvirginify you, so tried to be charming and that.

Pretty much
Reply 38
SillyFencer
Pretty much

But why? I heard guys tend to avoid virgins (especially one night stand guys)
its not rare at all, most people do tell Porkies you know!, e.g most teenagers.

Latest

Trending

Trending