The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

clevergirl
Hmm. This is just typical of TSR-ians. They all want to be branded as geniuses because they get AAAAA or a string of A* at GCSE. I'm afraid my friend you cannot define a genius although whatever genius is, you and TSR don't have it. I, however, don't wish to be a genius. I was merely asking advice on whether or not I have done too much for my coursework and unfortunately, I have.

I'm afraid my friend, you and the rest of TSR are not geniuses because geniuses don't spend all their time on an internet chat room, like a ***** up individual.

Then why did you ask whether we considered you a genius?
Reply 61
I take it I have silenced TSR

:ditto:
RightSaidJames
Because they have thousands of them to mark, and arguably it's more skilful to squeeze more musical features/motifs into a smaller space. Besides, my Music teacher used to tell us that what gets you good marks at GCSE/A Level wouldn't necessarily be considered good by critics who aren't examiners working from a marking scheme

I suppose it isn't practical to have no time limits and I suppose when they have to be marked that makes sense. For my system composing is simply pass/fail (annoyingly) and is internally assessed (with the examining board checking standards every few years) so having no time limit is possible.

I suppose being a skilled composer and writing songs that sound good are not always the same thing.
clevergirl
Hi

I have just finished my attempt on being a troll and I think I failed. I just wrote this thread about me being a genius although other trolls have done the same but with a lot more success. How do I improve?

Advice please.

You're doing well, keep up the good work!
Reply 64
Revolution is my Name
Then why did you ask whether we considered you a genius?

It was a figure of speech becasuse I had done too much and elaborated my coursework. My music teacher called me a mini genius because I won the Vera Machonochie Cup for Strings and qualified into the final stages of BBC musician of the year in 2000, I was only 8! I am also now trying to get a scholarship into ABRSM, although tis tricky :s-smilie:
whitepearlbaby
You're doing well, keep up the good work!

Oh nooo, how did I ever fall into her trap xD
Languagesfreak
Oh nooo, how did I ever fall into her trap xD

What do you mean?
whitepearlbaby
What do you mean?

I took her seriously for a bit xD
Reply 68
I am not a troll. I do not like being stereotyped. I will tell you again because you obviously have minds like sieves:

" I was only asking for your help."
clevergirl
I am not a troll. I do not like being stereotyped. I will tell you again because you obviously have minds like sieves:

" I was only asking for your help."

Erm what advice do you want except from us telling you that you're a genius? That's all you want isn't it... If you think you are one then who cares about an online forum, go back to your genius world and be happy...
If you're lying then you're sad, too.
Reply 70
whitepearlbaby
Erm what advice do you want except from us telling you that you're a genius? That's all you want isn't it... If you think you are one then who cares about an online forum, go back to your genius world and be happy...
If you're lying then you're sad, too.

All I want to know is will be work b marked down because of it's length. Surely if the work is of a high standard then examiners might make exceptions to the rules?
clevergirl
All I want to know is will be work b marked down because of it's length. Surely if the work is of a high standard then examiners might make exceptions to the rules?

you'll be alright. they'll give you a good mark.
Katieloula
*chello

wrong. Its cello.
clevergirl

They won't make exceptions to the rules. However, you won't be marked down because of it's length. Instead, they will most likely mark 4 minutes' worth and nothing more. If you're lucky, your A, B and A2 are less than 4 minutes in total, and they'll just mark those. If you're unlucky, they'll measure it exactly and stop marking at exactly four minutes, meaning that your piece will be marked down for failing to end properly.

In other words, by submitting a piece longer than the time limit, you're taking a huge risk and I don't think it's worth it.
Reply 74
OP, weren't you going to upload the piece?
Reply 75
aKarma

I want to although TSR doesn't support sibelius or MIDI sequence files.

I think I know what to do. I have to download free Audacity software the import my work into that, then convert it into a format suported by TSR.

Give me 2 minutes to see what I come up with...
aKarma

She can't, TSR won't let you upload Sibelius files or MIDIs.
clevergirl
I want to although TSR doesn't support sibelius or MIDI sequence files.

I think I know what to do. I have to download free Audacity software the import my work into that, then convert it into a format suported by TSR.

Give me 2 minutes to see what I come up with...

You can always .zip the file (use winzip/winrar/7zip/whatever) and then upload it, which is supported by TSR :rolleyes:
Reply 78
Surely a print screen of the score uploaded as a few jpegs would suffice.

Or just zip the sibelius file

Also, I'm pretty sure one could just change the extension to say .xls and then upload it :tongue:
Reply 79
clevergirl
Hi

I have just finished my GCSE music composition and it is 26 pages long and is 7 minutes long. I have composed for 11 instruments including the basso continuo. The piece takes charcateristics from all 3 eras, these being the Baroque, Classical and Romantic, and are arranged into small sections themselves. The piece is in Ternary form A:B:A1:C:A2

Have I done too much because most people in my class have only composed for 1 to 2 instruments and their composition is only around 2 pages long. Am I a genius?

Advice please.

lol @ harpsichord in romantic era. It'd suggest you don't understand the instrumentation of the eras.

Latest

Trending

Trending