The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Hi All,

I'm prospective PhD student.
I need a PG hall for next year, however I think the rooms are quite small for me, for example "George Kenyon Hall" or "Withworth Park"
can anyone suggest different halls that have larger rooms?
Do you know anything about "vaughan house"?

thanks.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
ozanlas
Hi All,

I'm prospective PhD student.
I need a PG hall for next year, however I think the rooms are quite small for me, for example "George Kenyon Hall" or "Withworth Park"
can anyone suggest different halls that have larger rooms?
Do you know anything about "vaughan house"?

thanks.

Woolton Hall has a PG block, Ashley, and from my experience the rooms at Woolton are the biggest.
Reply 782
Can Anyone Help, I Applied To Accomadation In May But Have Not Heard Anything Yet So Far, Am I Of Meant To Of Heard From Them

P.s Im A Conditonal Offer Student, Please Help, I Will Rep 100%
xthismodernlovex
I completely agree 100%. I'm going into 3rd year and lived in Sheavyn in my first year and in a house in Fallowfield during my 2nd year.

Sheavyn is a really nice hall. The only i'd say bad about it is that the JCR is rubbish. it's linked to Ashburne and they do twin events, but when I was there although they were meant to be for both halls, they were more catered towards Ashburne. Posters about them weren't put up in Sheavyn, and they did events like Jazz Night and Milk and Cookies night in Freshers week. It just meant that the people in Sheavyn had to organise their own nights out. We did pub golf on our own etc which was awesome. All the flats are mixed, en-suite. it's normally 5 boys and 5 girls, but if your flat's on the top floor then it's 9 people in a flat. I live with boys from Richmond park now and they didn't like it at all, but it depends who you get put with etc. Sheavyn was good fun though, the rooms are spacious. My block was brilliant and we all had an awesome year.

My sister's starting in Manc in Sept and applied to Oak house and got it - in my opinion although Sheavyn was nice, £25 a week extra for the en-suite is madness. I could have done without it tbh. Oak house is a lot of fun and a lot of my friends were there. if you get a corner room you're laughing cos they're bigger than my room was!

Agree 100% with Whitworth. i have a few friends who lived there and nothing happened.
Fallowfield all the way. nothing like a stupidly messy night in Tarts!! haha. missing fallowfield and i've only been home a week!

Ha yeah I had some friends in one of the corner flats in OH- I think it was holly- MASSIVE rooms, 3 of them in the flat, huge living room. And also agree 100% about tarts. You just can't get that messy at home, and this is coming from someone who lives in Newcastle for christ's sake.
Mr Fish
Can Anyone Help, I Applied To Accomadation In May But Have Not Heard Anything Yet So Far, Am I Of Meant To Of Heard From Them

P.s Im A Conditonal Offer Student, Please Help, I Will Rep 100%

You won't hear anything until after your offer becomes unconditional- i.e. after you've got your results! I got my accom offer about 5 days after results day.
Meow7
I just got an offer for Owens Park, my room is T1.02.06. Can anyone be lovely and translate this for me? Thanks x

Okay you're in tower... and you're on the 2nd floor. Which means you get quite a lot of noise from people in the courtyard. BUT if you're in room 6 this means you aren't facing the courtyard but the back side. So it'll be kind of dark in your room but not really noisy. You'll have a nice view of trees/ sheavyn house. OH but you won't have to deal with spending 1/3rd of your uni career waiting for the lifts, one of which is usually broken. (If you do choose to get the lift to floor 2 everyone will judge you)

Tower is amazing... really really fun. It's NOT unsleepable, you CAN do work, and the fire alarm does NOT go off every single night. In my fresher's year it went off about 4 times in freshers, then during about 4 other nights in first term, and then only once in the whole of second term. Oh twice, but one of them was an actual fire. We obvs ignored the alarm. We were on the 18th floor. WHOOPS.
Reply 786
Is anybody staying at Sir Charles Groves Hall? :teeth:
Reply 787
Idontlikecricket
Okay you're in tower... and you're on the 2nd floor. Which means you get quite a lot of noise from people in the courtyard. BUT if you're in room 6 this means you aren't facing the courtyard but the back side. So it'll be kind of dark in your room but not really noisy. You'll have a nice view of trees/ sheavyn house. OH but you won't have to deal with spending 1/3rd of your uni career waiting for the lifts, one of which is usually broken. (If you do choose to get the lift to floor 2 everyone will judge you)

Tower is amazing... really really fun. It's NOT unsleepable, you CAN do work, and the fire alarm does NOT go off every single night. In my fresher's year it went off about 4 times in freshers, then during about 4 other nights in first term, and then only once in the whole of second term. Oh twice, but one of them was an actual fire. We obvs ignored the alarm. We were on the 18th floor. WHOOPS.

Thanks, brilliant reply! Facing the trees etc sounds nice, and I don't mind about the noise, I really don't think it will bother me much. Lol I bloody hate lifts anyway so I don't think I'll be getting it to the 2nd floor! That was be pretty lazy :yep:

I'm really happy someone has actually given us their experience of tower, because all the 'reviews' I can seem to find just say something along the lines of "prepare yourself for 15,000 fire alarms a night" and the like. I'm really looking forward to it now, I went to Lancaster and hated it, I so didn't have the proper uni experience but I really want that in Manchester :woo:
Meow7
Thanks, brilliant reply! Facing the trees etc sounds nice, and I don't mind about the noise, I really don't think it will bother me much. Lol I bloody hate lifts anyway so I don't think I'll be getting it to the 2nd floor! That was be pretty lazy :yep:

I'm really happy someone has actually given us their experience of tower, because all the 'reviews' I can seem to find just say something along the lines of "prepare yourself for 15,000 fire alarms a night" and the like. I'm really looking forward to it now, I went to Lancaster and hated it, I so didn't have the proper uni experience but I really want that in Manchester :woo:

Ha, cheers. If you have any more questions ask me on here or PM me!
Reply 789
Idontlikecricket
Ha, cheers. If you have any more questions ask me on here or PM me!

Ta, I'm sure I'll end up doing that pretty soon!
Reply 790
im now worried the i put down 1. richmond 2. whitworth 3. sheavyn... probably wont get fallowfield..is it worth finding out if i can change whitworth?
bloololly
im now worried the i put down 1. richmond 2. whitworth 3. sheavyn... probably wont get fallowfield..is it worth finding out if i can change whitworth?

Yeah just ring them you haven't had an accommodation offer yet so it should be ok
Reply 792
Davidosh
Yeah just ring them you haven't had an accommodation offer yet so it should be ok

but what would i change it to i have no idea! is whitworth really bad and antisocial?
bloololly
but what would i change it to i have no idea! is whitworth really bad and antisocial?

I've got friends who were at Whitworth, and it's absolutely fine. It's massive, so there are plenty of people there...
bloololly

change it to oak house, it's the whitworth of fallowfield (but 10000x the fun)
Hello everyone!

Although I wanted Dalton Ellis en suite room, I haven't got one. Instead I got Dalton Ellis standard room with basin on ground floor (Graham). Apart from social things ( which aren't important to me), can anyone give some information on:

(i) Room quality ( small/big, any interesting details )?
(ii) Bathroom quality ( is it tidy, how many people share a bathroom IN REALITY, any details)?
(iii) Food quality ( + do they offer vegetarian food)?

Thnx a lot :smile:
bloololly

It's not that bad it depends on how much effort you make but I repeat what someone said Oak House would probably be a better option it is like Whitworth but in Fallowfield
hii :smile: i've got Owens Park. anyone wans to trade? hoping for an accomodation closer to school :smile:
Reply 798
Davidosh
It's not that bad it depends on how much effort you make but I repeat what someone said Oak House would probably be a better option it is like Whitworth but in Fallowfield

from what ive heard, oaks seems bit too mad for me. i go out and am socialable and stuff, but i just dont seem to like the sound of it being crazy all the time...
Reply 799
^Then I'd say stick with Whitworth.

Latest

Trending

Trending