The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5980
Original post by impossible!

Original post by impossible!
Am I right in thinking that if I apply for a transfer into 2nd year of another uni in 2012, I'll be paying my normal 3K fees yes?

Hmmmm this is something that I'd chase up with someone official. We're going to find it hard to give you a definitive answer. My gut reaction is that some kind of "internally arranged" transfer would be fine but something where you're applying through ucas and having your application considered etc. would mean a new fee structure. I'm not sure that you'll be able to find a definitive answer written anywhere. I would the finance officer at your uni, they should be able to help you/get through to someone actually important at student finance to find out the proper answer.
Reply 5981
PLEASE HELP!

I am reapplying this year, I didn't go to uni last year.

I made a student finance application last year, but now when I log in it tells me I can't make a new application for this year because last year's application is 'still processing'.

How do I apply for finance this year? can i cancel last year's application, if so, how?
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm having a bit of trouble with student finance. I'm starting my application for 2012/13 and I registered and started inputting info and everything was fine however, I logged out for dinner and now I can log back in but I can't actually access my application, it keeps telling me there's an error with my application. Any advice on how to fix this or should I just give it time? Thanks in advance =]
Original post by Kitty-Kat
Hi guys, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm having a bit of trouble with student finance. I'm starting my application for 2012/13 and I registered and started inputting info and everything was fine however, I logged out for dinner and now I can log back in but I can't actually access my application, it keeps telling me there's an error with my application. Any advice on how to fix this or should I just give it time? Thanks in advance =]

Might be some glitches as 2012 only went live today. Phone them tomorrow if it doesn't resolve itself.
Hi guys,

Having serious trouble with getting my parents financial information onto my application. They have no accounts so I try and make them one; it says they already have one each. I ring Student Finance and get the customer reference number, password and secret answer emailed to me for both my mum and dad. I try to log them in with this info and it says it's incorrect.

Actually at my wits end already...
I want to apply for student finance but I'm going to be living independently when I start uni (as in i'm no longer going to be in contact with my parents). On the student finance website it says evidence must be provided to show that you're no longer in contact with your parents. Does anyone know what kind of evidence they need?
Reply 5986
Original post by Igetamused

I want to apply for student finance but I'm going to be living independently when I start uni (as in i'm no longer going to be in contact with my parents). On the student finance website it says evidence must be provided to show that you're no longer in contact with your parents. Does anyone know what kind of evidence they need?

Are you in contact with your parents now? Roughly what kind of thing makes you say you wont be in contact next year?

http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/96449/independent_students_fact_sheet_v0.3.pdf
I went to uni in 2010 and left after first year so Im reapplying for 2012. Will I get student finance? Also, I went on to my account on student finance and it said that I was entitled to like £3,465 but the course is £8000 so do I need to pay the rest myself? >.> confused!
Original post by alibee
Are you in contact with your parents now? Roughly what kind of thing makes you say you wont be in contact next year?

i'm in contact with them now but because i'm no longer religious, they're going to kick me out next year.
Reply 5990
I have just started my SF application for 2012 entry to university. The tuition fee for the course I am applying to is £9,000 - however, the estimates I am given show the maximum applicable tuition fee loan as £3,225, and states that I "will need to pay the remaining £5,775 directly to your university." Does anybody else have this problem? Has the calculator used to generate the estimate not been adjusted for the rise in tuition fees yet?
i'm in contact with them now but because i'm no longer religious, they're going to kick me out next year.

You need to look at the link at post 6019. I can't see how you can show that youre dependent. Maybe estranged with a lot of paperwork.
Original post by madddie
I have just started my SF application for 2012 entry to university. The tuition fee for the course I am applying to is £9,000 - however, the estimates I am given show the maximum applicable tuition fee loan as £3,225, and states that I "will need to pay the remaining £5,775 directly to your university." Does anybody else have this problem? Has the calculator used to generate the estimate not been adjusted for the rise in tuition fees yet?

That would not surprise me with the SLC. They launched the applications 2 months ahead of the original date so I doubt whether theyre ready. :s-smilie:
Hi, I'm a bit confused... do you apply to student finance to your firm choice only or send out applications to all your unis before making a decision? I've got offers from all of mine now
Also, if the uni is givng you a tuition fee waiver, do you put down the amount you will need after the waiver in finance?
Reply 5994
Original post by drlesliechoi
Hi, I'm a bit confused... do you apply to student finance to your firm choice only or send out applications to all your unis before making a decision? I've got offers from all of mine now
Also, if the uni is givng you a tuition fee waiver, do you put down the amount you will need after the waiver in finance?

From a thing of guidance notes on the SLC website:
Many students who may be eligible for a means-tested fee waiver (i.e. a reduced fee based on their income) won’t know their eligibility until their household income is assessed through the Student Finance systems. Students will therefore usually apply for the maximum fee loan available for their chosen course.
When the student’s application for student finance is processed, the fee loan applied for by the student is passed into and displayed in the Student Information System (SIS). SIS will show the fee loan requests made by each student, within 24 hours of their main student finance application being processed.

It is possible that students may introduce fee waivers into the application stage in the following circumstances.

- Some students who believe they are entitled to a fee waiver may apply correctly for the reduced fee loan (having accurately calculated their income beforehand).
- Other students may also apply for a reduced fee, but have incorrectly calculated their income or ignored the need to meet other conditions. Their fee loan is likely to be for the wrong amount.

And the UCAS page on student finance says to just use your first choice of course and change it at a later date if necessary :smile:
Original post by drlesliechoi

You can apply now and put down the one you hope to go to. You can always change this later if you go somewhere else or change your course. If you are getting a tuition fee waiver, put down the amount after this. Again, you can always change things at a later date if necessary. :smile:
Original post by glf2110
That would not surprise me with the SLC. They launched the applications 2 months ahead of the original date so I doubt whether theyre ready. :s-smilie:

I'm not sure of your circumstances but this has happened to one of my friends too, she called them and explained she was a single parent living alone and then they fixed it
Reply 5997
I'm a little confused, when should I apply for a fee loan? Do I have to wait until I have a confirmed place at university (when I'll have all of the exams' results) which will be in late June/earli July or I can apply as soon as I chose my firm and insurance?
Reply 5998
I'm currently filling in my student finance application form. I'm on the 'your course' section atm, and i'm not quite sure what to do. It says that i've got to add my course, and lists the offers that i've had from uni's. What does this mean? and what must I do? I'm still waiting for a 5th reply, so do I have to wait till i've heard from all the uni's and replied to them before I fill this section out?
Original post by cvety
I'm a little confused, when should I apply for a fee loan? Do I have to wait until I have a confirmed place at university (when I'll have all of the exams' results) which will be in late June/earli July or I can apply as soon as I chose my firm and insurance?

You can apply as soon as you Firm. If you end up going somewhere else, you can change this at a later stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending