The Student Room Group

Student Finance Applications - Q & A

Scroll to see replies

How long does it take to process? Some say 4 weeks, others 5 weeks and rest say 6 weeks :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XLauraLouX
How long does it take to process? Some say 4 weeks, others 5 weeks and rest say 6 weeks :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is literally just a case of waiting to see when you're processed. It depends on how many applications they received around the same time as yours. It's best to assume 6 weeks and then consider yourself lucky if it's sooner than that.
hey guys,

I am thinking of commuting for my final year. I usually get the full loan. It will be my first time commuting from home as in my previous years, i usually lived on campus. I was just wondering, if i will still receive the full loan, should i decide to stay at my family home and commute?
Reply 7983
Original post by rurounikenji
hey guys,

I am thinking of commuting for my final year. I usually get the full loan. It will be my first time commuting from home as in my previous years, i usually lived on campus. I was just wondering, if i will still receive the full loan, should i decide to stay at my family home and commute?

You should probably let student finance know. Because I don't think you'll be entitled to the full loan amount.
Original post by Shaxx
You should probably let student finance know. Because I don't think you'll be entitled to the full loan amount.

ah daaaaamnn :frown:
Original post by rurounikenji
hey guys,

You'll get the "living at home" rate instead of the full loan. It's still a substantial amount of money though and the amount you'd be saving by living at home would probably mean you're better off unless you have super high commuting costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7986
I've been accepted at the Uni I applied for, but I still haven't received my Student Loan confirmation letter. Thing is, I applied in March, but was asked for evidence which I provided, the whole thing dragged for way too long. Now they're waiting for me to provide evidence with regards to my parents' financial situation, which I'm working on (the evidence, I mean), and that should take me about another two-three weeks, and only after that can I send in my final evidence and HOPE for a confirmation letter.

My year starts on the 13th of September, so there's no way I can sort all of this out by then. What's the usual course of action? Is there such a thing as postponing the payment and waiting for Student Finance England to process the application?
Reply 7987
Original post by Dannyhemms
You can use an existing account. I opened a student account because of the interest free overdraft (just in case) and some banks offer you the overdraft a year or two after completing university while finding your feet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see so it's best if you go to the bank and ask for the best option right? :smile:
I've gone in to set up my co-op student account, but they say it may take 2 weeks for it to be opened. I do have a current account and wondered if it would be best to add those account details to my student finance application and then my accommodation. Or should I just wait the 2 weeks?

Original post by TheDuder
I've been accepted at the Uni I applied for, but I still haven't received my Student Loan confirmation letter. Thing is, I applied in March, but was asked for evidence which I provided, the whole thing dragged for way too long. Now they're waiting for me to provide evidence with regards to my parents' financial situation, which I'm working on (the evidence, I mean), and that should take me about another two-three weeks, and only after that can I send in my final evidence and HOPE for a confirmation letter.

My year starts on the 13th of September, so there's no way I can sort all of this out by then. What's the usual course of action? Is there such a thing as postponing the payment and waiting for Student Finance England to process the application?

I'm in the exact same position. I called up my uni and they told me that I may possibly have to self fund accommodation till the Student Finance has been fully processed. I was also told that I can still enrol as long as I show proof of having sent in my SFE application.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZ
Original post by TheDuder

You need to contact your uni to ask what they recommend. You won't need to pay any tuition fees until much later in the year so show them evidence of having applied and you're fine about that.

Accommodation is your main problem. You may be able to postpone for a little while but they won't like it. Open a student bank account and use your overdraft to pay for it if you can. Will save you a lot of hassle. Your support services at uni will give you the best advice though.

Original post by Lucy-1995
I've gone in to set up my co-op student account, but they say it may take 2 weeks for it to be opened. I do have a current account and wondered if it would be best to add those account details to my student finance application and then my accommodation. Or should I just wait the 2 weeks?

It's entirely down to you. If you aren't starting uni in the next two weeks then waiting is probably going to be much easier.

[QUOTE="ShellyJellyBelly;44163560"]I'm in the exact same position. I called up my uni and they told me that I may possibly have to self fund accommodation till the Student Finance has been fully processed. I was also told that I can still enrol as long as I show proof of having sent in my SFE application.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZ

Is accommodation the part that's causing the problem?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please tell me if it's normal for your student finance payment timetable on your homepage to only state the minimum payments.
My dad mentioned that he got a letter ages ago and forgot about it and now I'm worried that they're not taking my household income into account!!!!

I've asked before and no-one answers :Cry2:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Daniellejo.
Can someone please tell me if it's normal for your student finance payment timetable on your homepage to only state the minimum payments.
My dad mentioned that he got a letter ages ago and forgot about it and now I'm worried that they're not taking my household income into account!!!!

I've asked before and no-one answers :Cry2:

It should show actual payments. Ask your dad to fill in the missing part asap and call student finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
It should show actual payments. Ask your dad to fill in the missing part asap and call student finance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He's such an idiot!!!!
He told me about a week ago laughing about it. :angry::angry:
He's lost it now, should I just ask for another one to be sent? :s-smilie:
Reply 7994
hi,

I'm an EU student, I submitted my application back in May, then had to provide some more residency information but anyway, on my online account I can see that every section is completed. My course starts on the 16th and I'm slightly worried whether SFE will soirt out my tuition fee loan before this date, because I haven't received any confirmation yet. is it normal that they do it just before the course starts?
Original post by Daniellejo.
He's such an idiot!!!!
He told me about a week ago laughing about it. :angry::angry:
He's lost it now, should I just ask for another one to be sent? :s-smilie:

Yes, call and ask what needs to be sent. You will still receive the basic amount while you're being processed to make sure you've signed and sent the signature form so that you have some money to get you started with.

Original post by AlexL4
hi,

I'm an EU student, I submitted my application back in May, then had to provide some more residency information but anyway, on my online account I can see that every section is completed. My course starts on the 16th and I'm slightly worried whether SFE will soirt out my tuition fee loan before this date, because I haven't received any confirmation yet. is it normal that they do it just before the course starts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you had confirmation of any of your student finance? If you're just missing confirmation of your tuition fee loan then call them to make sure it's being processed but don't worry about it. It will be months before student finance sends tuition funds to your university so as long as they know that you are eligible and you have applied then you're completely fine!
Reply 7996

Have you had confirmation of any of your student finance? If you're just missing confirmation of your tuition fee loan then call them to make sure it's being processed but don't worry about it. It will be months before student finance sends tuition funds to your university so as long as they know that you are eligible and you have applied then you're completely fine!

The status of my application is still "To be completed" and in my next steps section "we have all the information that we need to progress your application". But as I said, it's been over 3 weeks. Also, right now I can't even check my correspondence because I get logged out when I want do to this.
Original post by AlexL4
The status of my application is still "To be completed" and in my next steps section "we have all the information that we need to progress your application". But as I said, it's been over 3 weeks. Also, right now I can't even check my correspondence because I get logged out when I want do to this.

If they have everything then you'll be in the processing queue. You just have to wait it out now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7998
If they have everything then you'll be in the processing queue. You just have to wait it out now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

okay, thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a question, my university says it needs a confirmation letter from student finance so i can register with the course when i get there (as I'm guessing with all other unis) but I've never received such a letter of confirmation (the only letter I received from them was the declaration which I had to sign and send back) and my application says that it has been approved, so my question is this: is this normal or should I contact them about it? :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending