The Student Room Group

General Perception of Biomedical Scientists

I was just wondering what are your perception on a biomedical science degree and biomedical scientists. Most of the things I hear on here are just about the fact that a biomedical science degrees are take up by a majority of medicine rejects or people who want an alternative pathway into medicine.
I myself do not wish to become a medical doctor nor a medicine reject but am simply applying for this degree due to interest and as a foundation to go into academic biomedical research.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you are interested in it then do it, why care about what other people think?
Reply 2
Generally think of them as people who wanted to do medicine but didn't get a place for whatever reason so picked biomed with the intention of going onto medicine afterwards. Though if i were in this position i'd probably rather do a pure science like chemistry more impressive and doesn't lump you under this label. Also differentiates you from the thousands of others who did biomed to try and get into medicine. It can also take you to far more places if post degree you change your mind about medicine/still don't get accepted.
Reply 3
TIGIbedhead
Though if i were in this position i'd probably rather do a pure science like chemistry more impressive and doesn't lump you under this label.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Biggest urban legend ever on this forum is that you are somehow judged by what your undergraduate subject is. It makes no difference as long as it's a life/biological science.
Reply 4
I know quite a few biomeds at manchester, most of whom didn't apply for medicine. The majority of them want careers in science, and some just did it because they liked human biology at school but don't really know what they want to do career-wise.

Most manchester biomeds go onto PhDs, PGCEs, NHS clinical scientist jobs or jobs in finance. Not many go the biomedical scientist route. Quite a few go on to grad medicine too.
Reply 5
At first year:
Most want to do Graduate Medicine
A few want to do Graduate Dentistry
Very little want to go to work/MSc in Life Sciences

By the end of the course, a lot more are bored of university/studying and want to start work, so not as many try for medicine/dentistry as people would have you believe.
Reply 6
Tibbles168
I was just wondering what are your perception on a biomedical science degree and biomedical scientists. Most of the things I hear on here are just about the fact that a biomedical science degrees are take up by a majority of medicine rejects or people who want an alternative pathway into medicine.
I myself do not wish to become a medical doctor nor a medicine reject but am simply applying for this degree due to interest and as a foundation to go into academic biomedical research.

Good for you!! Finally someone that is studying Biomed and doesn't want to do medicine!

There are 67 on my course. 20 of us don't want to do medicine at graduates. probably 95% are medic rejects.

I'm like you, i don't want to become a biomedical scientist but i want to go into research in an area of biomedical sciences!

Edit: the med students say when you tell them the course you're on, "Are you a medicine reject?", it wipes the smile off their faces when you say no!
Reply 7
A few of the biomeds I know refer to themselves as medicine rejects, but the majority (of those I know) don't really seem to know what they want to do post university
TIGIbedhead
Generally think of them as people who wanted to do medicine but didn't get a place for whatever reason so picked biomed with the intention of going onto medicine afterwards.

thats ignorance - i went on an accredited biomed course with the complete intention of becoming a hospital biomedical scientist - where the hell do you think all the blood samples, urine samples etc go?? i think most people think that way and infact someone i know was telling me doing biomed would be a step down for him!! makes
me angry :mad:

the only reason i entered medicine was because i hated labs - purley and simply!!
Reply 9
fairy spangles
thats ignorance - i went on an accredited biomed course with the complete intention of becoming a hospital biomedical scientist - where the hell do you think all the blood samples, urine samples etc go?? i think most people think that way and infact someone i know was telling me doing biomed would be a step down for him!! makes
me angry

the only reason i entered medicine was because i hated labs - purley and simply!!

Possibly the most soul destroying job on earth, what on earth did you see in it? :lolwut:
Democracy
Possibly the most soul destroying job on earth, what on earth did you see in it? :lolwut:

no idea
i needed something to do the course destroyed me - so i thought id do something scientifically simpler. i was looking through my assignments the other day and was very confused!!
Reply 11
Democracy

Eh? How is it soul destroying? Most of the BMS's I know like the job they do, it is not as badly paid as it used to be and the on call rate isn't too bad either. Although I can only really say that about Biochem and Haematology BMS's not sure about micro, histo, immunology etc.
i do the degree, not a medical reject, but i know i will not be a biomedical scientists after, the work they do is so boring to me
JammyP
Eh? How is it soul destroying? Most of the BMS's I know like the job they do, it is not as badly paid as it used to be and the on call rate isn't too bad either. Although I can only really say that about Biochem and Haematology BMS's not sure about micro, histo, immunology etc.

I was in an Immunology lab in a North London teaching hospital for a week. Their job was so routine and dull I would have rather drunk all the blood samples there than do it again for another week. Never in a million years.

Medical reasearch, is not boring or dull, I'll give you that. But working in a hospital lab is terrible.
robinson999
i do the degree, not a medical reject, but i know i will not be a biomedical scientists after, the work they do is so boring to me

What you thinking of doing then?
Alex L
What you thinking of doing then?

see that i don't know, a masters or what have a see when i get me marks
Reply 16
isnt the stereotype that biomed students are failed doctors?
Reply 17
There are 20 of us in my year. None intend on using it as a back door into medicine, and it was the first choice degree for every single one of us.

So, to the load of hot air spouting in this thread: get a clue please :wink:

yeah but we are better then doctors

No...mostly cause biomed students haven't studied and graduated in Medicine, hence they're not doctors, let alone failed ones :wink2:

Latest

Trending

Trending